News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is Your States Most Famous Route?

Started by silverback1065, October 24, 2021, 11:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: skluth on October 25, 2021, 03:35:37 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on October 25, 2021, 02:55:02 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 25, 2021, 02:53:53 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2021, 02:38:57 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 25, 2021, 02:21:49 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2021, 01:14:30 PM
Have I missed it, or has no one chimed in with A1A for Florida yet?
With Disney, I'd wonder if it would be I-4.

I would probably say US 1 on the Overseas Highway is by far the most famous in the state followed by A1A.  A lot of out of state folk know about the Tamiami Trail through the Everglades and the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.  I would probably rank I-4 in a tie with the Turnpike after those four examples.
US 1's a good one.

I disagree and say A1A is more famous than US1.  Most people know absolutely nothing about roads in their own state much less others'.  But, thanks to Vanilla Ice, people know A1A, Beachfront Avenue.  Has to be the winner.

Chris

More people know A1A from the Jimmy Buffett album than some reference to a one-hit rap star.

I'd say your age is showing :)  Far more people alive right now know who sings "Ice, Ice Baby" than know who sings "Cheeseburger in Paradise".

Chris

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on October 25, 2021, 04:11:55 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2021, 04:08:23 PM
^^^

Ha, beat me to it.

Quote from: thspfc on October 25, 2021, 03:52:38 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 25, 2021, 12:52:56 PM
Quote from: thspfc on October 25, 2021, 12:22:17 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2021, 11:45:09 AM
With California either US Route 66 or California State Route 1 with US Route 101 somewhere in the background in third.  US 466 is indirectly famous for being the highway feature in the Grapes of Wrath and with the death of James Dean.  Amusingly Steinbeck calls Tehachapi US 66 and everyone calls the crash site of James Dean the current designation of CA 46.  Pertaining to US 99 and it's successor CA 99 it isn't really well known outside of West Coast circles.  I don't hear very many out of state folks clamoring to "see the Ridge Route"  as an example.
It's US-101. By comparison, no others deserve a mention.
Nah.  CA-1.

Or...just the Golden Gate Bridge.
Which is also US-101, though most don't know that.

Interesting to note; the Golden Gate Bridge actually is a California Legislative route definition gap for CA 1:

https://www.cahighways.org/ROUTE001.html

Same as US 101:

https://www.cahighways.org/ROUTE101.html

That said, I believe the AASHTO definition of US 101 has it clearly aligned over the Golden Gate Bridge.  I believe the actual documents are in the AASHTO Database.
Seems like Caltrans is just being obnoxious.

Caltrans isn't the agency really that decides Legislative Route descriptions that is largely the California Transportation Commission coupled with the State Legislature.  All the legislative route description entails is what segment of roadway the State maintains.  Since the State doesn't maintain the Golden Gate Bridge it doesn't appear in their legislative route descriptions.  That doesn't mean that a highway can't be signed over the Golden Gate Bridge (CA 1 isn't) or that another body like AASHTO can't recognize it as part of US 101.  So effectively the Golden Gate Bridge is US 101 but not CA 1 largely by semantics. 

Funny, I don't even think the fact that CA 1 has actual segment gaps is all that well known.  With A1A it seems like it is more universally known that it exists as multiple segments and not a continuous highway.  Most legislative gaps in CA 1 aren't even carried by multiplexed field signage on US 101.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 25, 2021, 04:20:31 PM

I would probably say US 1 on the Overseas Highway is by far the most famous in the state followed by A1A.  A lot of out of state folk know about the Tamiami Trail through the Everglades and the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.  I would probably rank I-4 in a tie with the Turnpike after those four examples.
US 1's a good one.

I disagree and say A1A is more famous than US1.  Most people know absolutely nothing about roads in their own state much less others'.  But, thanks to Vanilla Ice, people know A1A, Beachfront Avenue.  Has to be the winner.

Chris

More people know A1A from the Jimmy Buffett album than some reference to a one-hit rap star.

I'd say your age is showing :)  Far more people alive right now know who sings "Ice, Ice Baby" than know who sings "Cheeseburger in Paradise".

Chris

Even among people in their late 30s/early 40s I would probably say Jimmy Buffet is equally known as Vanilla Ice.  I mainly remember Vanilla Ice due the fact he ripped off Queen for the background beat of Ice, Ice Baby.

US20IL64

Just from Stand-Up comics' [etc] jokes  :colorful: about LA freeways, I'd say I-405,  "the 405", is more famous nationally. Known for its traffic backups, than I-5.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2021, 04:33:08 PM

US 1's a good one.

Chris

Chris

Even among people in their late 30s/early 40s I would probably say Jimmy Buffet is equally known as Vanilla Ice.  I mainly remember Vanilla Ice due the fact he ripped off Queen for the background beat of Ice, Ice Baby.

You're my age.  Can you sing the lyric from Jimmy Buffet that has A1A in it?

Chris

D-Dey65

Quote from: webny99 on October 24, 2021, 12:14:06 PM
Quote from: thspfc on October 24, 2021, 11:42:09 AM
Quote from: webny99 on October 24, 2021, 11:40:22 AM
Quote from: Rothman on October 24, 2021, 11:26:36 AM
I-587. :spin:

Probably NY 17 in terms of non-interstates.
Um, NY-9A?

Hmm, I could be wrong but I feel like NY 9A is not really famous unto itself in the same way as NY 17.

NY 9A doesn't really mean anything specific to me other than the fact that it's a road in the NYC area.
I honestly didn't think there were that many roads in New York State that are truly famous. Infamous, yes (the Cross Bronx Expressway), but not truly famous.

How does NY 22 stack up?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 25, 2021, 05:05:17 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2021, 04:33:08 PM

US 1's a good one.

Chris

Chris

You're my age.  Can you sing the lyric from Jimmy Buffet that has A1A in it?

Chris

No, but I can sign just as many Jimmy Buffet lyrics as I can for Vanilla Ice.  Neither was really my style of music.  Vanilla Ice is more along the lines of a one hit wonder than Jimmy Buffet.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US20IL64 on October 25, 2021, 05:03:55 PM
Just from Stand-Up comics' [etc] jokes  :colorful: about LA freeways, I'd say I-405,  "the 405", is more famous nationally. Known for its traffic backups, than I-5.

The irony being there isn't anything particularly special about I-405 and it's traffic jams.  The traffic jams are common on almost all the Los Angeles Area freeways.  But I would note that the traffic backups probably are worse out east (the Dan Ryan Expressway comes to mind).

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2021, 05:17:46 PM
No, but I can sign just as many Jimmy Buffet lyrics as I can for Vanilla Ice.  Neither was really my style of music.  Vanilla Ice is more along the lines of a one hit wonder than Jimmy Buffet.

Not disagreeing with that at all.  Vanilla Ice sucks.  Just saying that a ton of people can sing the lyric "A1A, Beachfront Avenue" and not nearly as many people (including me who had Jimmy Buffet's Greatest Hits" CD) know a line about A1A.  Hence, it's famous.

Chris

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 25, 2021, 05:23:24 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2021, 05:17:46 PM

Not disagreeing with that at all.  Vanilla Ice sucks.  Just saying that a ton of people can sing the lyric "A1A, Beachfront Avenue" and not nearly as many people (including me who had Jimmy Buffet's Greatest Hits" CD) know a line about A1A.  Hence, it's famous.

Chris

The amusing thing is that I completely forgot about the guy until my Mom started watching some sort of show where he was remodeling houses in Miami.  Why my Mom knew who Vanilla Ice was kind of puzzling considering she we wouldn't even let me watch MTV in era he was popular.

Bickendan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2021, 04:30:58 PM
^^^

Ha, beat me to it.

With California either US Route 66 or California State Route 1 with US Route 101 somewhere in the background in third.  US 466 is indirectly famous for being the highway feature in the Grapes of Wrath and with the death of James Dean.  Amusingly Steinbeck calls Tehachapi US 66 and everyone calls the crash site of James Dean the current designation of CA 46.  Pertaining to US 99 and it's successor CA 99 it isn't really well known outside of West Coast circles.  I don't hear very many out of state folks clamoring to "see the Ridge Route"  as an example.
Nah.  CA-1.

Interesting to note; the Golden Gate Bridge actually is a California Legislative route definition gap for CA 1:

Same as US 101:

That said, I believe the AASHTO definition of US 101 has it clearly aligned over the Golden Gate Bridge.  I believe the actual documents are in the AASHTO Database.

Caltrans isn't the agency really that decides Legislative Route descriptions that is largely the California Transportation Commission coupled with the State Legislature.  All the legislative route description entails is what segment of roadway the State maintains.  Since the State doesn't maintain the Golden Gate Bridge it doesn't appear in their legislative route descriptions.  That doesn't mean that a highway can't be signed over the Golden Gate Bridge (CA 1 isn't) or that another body like AASHTO can't recognize it as part of US 101.  So effectively the Golden Gate Bridge is US 101 but not CA 1 largely by semantics. 

Funny, I don't even think the fact that CA 1 has actual segment gaps is all that well known.  With A1A it seems like it is more universally known that it exists as multiple segments and not a continuous highway.  Most legislative gaps in CA 1 aren't even carried by multiplexed field signage on US 101.
I think the only real indication of 101/1 overlaps are 1's exit numbers.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bickendan on October 25, 2021, 05:44:31 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2021, 04:30:58 PM
^^^

Ha, beat me to it.

Nah.  CA-1.

Same as US 101:

I think the only real indication of 101/1 overlaps are 1's exit numbers.

Some of the multiplexes are actually signed.  Example; there is assemblies like this north of the Robin Williams Tunnel:

https://flic.kr/p/T5cAZS

andrepoiy

Ontario: Probably Highway 401.

Non-freeway, it's tough, but for roadgeeks it's probably former Highway 2, currently multitudes of County Road 2.

oscar

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 25, 2021, 07:45:06 PM

Non-freeway, it's tough, but for roadgeeks it's probably former Highway 2, currently multitudes of County Road 2.

What about parts of the TCH? ON 17 along Lakes Superior and Huron comes to mind, as part of popular Great Lakes tourist routes.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

andrepoiy

Quote from: oscar on October 25, 2021, 08:16:59 PM
Quote from: andrepoiy on October 25, 2021, 07:45:06 PM

What about parts of the TCH? ON 17 along Lakes Superior and Huron comes to mind, as part of popular Great Lakes tourist routes.

Given that most of Ontario's population resides down south, I doubt that many people actually drove on Hwy 17 so far away. My parents have been to a lot of places in Canada but they never drove West because it's such a long drive to see relatively nothing compared to going east. (and if they wanted to go to Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton they'd fly)

hbelkins

Georgia: US 41 (thanks, Allman Brothers)

New Jersey: US 9 (thanks, Bruce Springsteen)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2021, 09:02:45 PM
New Jersey: US 9 (thanks, Bruce Springsteen)

My first thought about NJ is the NJ Turnpike.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

Regarding the California debate upthread, one could bolster the 101 argument in that Ventura Highway/Boulevard have been immortalized in song for decades, at least since the '60s if not before then.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 25, 2021, 12:00:39 PM
Vermont's is Route 100, of course.  RI is probably a tie between I-95 and RI 138. 

Living here, I can make a stronger argument for "Route 7".  It's the ORIGINAL route to follow along the Greens (Route 100 is not an original route...it came noticeably later), plus you also get the Taconics too.

DTComposer

Nah.  CA-1.

I'd go with CA-1, easily. I-405 has recognition as the symbol of L.A. traffic, but the CA-1 miner's spade shield is ubiquitous in tourist gift shops and on imagery representing the California coast.

It was mentioned upthread that CA-1 exists in discontinuous segments - what would be the most famous segment of CA-1 outside of California? The PCH segment (Malibu, Santa Monica/Venice, Orange County beaches) or the Big Sur segment (oceanside cliffs, coastal forests, rockslides)?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: DTComposer on October 26, 2021, 01:08:23 PM
Nah.  CA-1.

I'd go with CA-1, easily. I-405 has recognition as the symbol of L.A. traffic, but the CA-1 miner's spade shield is ubiquitous in tourist gift shops and on imagery representing the California coast.

It was mentioned upthread that CA-1 exists in discontinuous segments - what would be the most famous segment of CA-1 outside of California? The PCH segment (Malibu, Santa Monica/Venice, Orange County beaches) or the Big Sur segment (oceanside cliffs, coastal forests, rockslides)?

Big Sur for sure.

Chris

froggie

I'd argue the PCH segment.  Used far more often in popular culture and movies.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 26, 2021, 01:11:42 PM
Quote from: DTComposer on October 26, 2021, 01:08:23 PM
Nah.  CA-1.

Big Sur for sure.

Chris

San Luis Obispo-San Francisco by way of Big Sur by a mile.

SkyPesos

So it seems like the conscious for California are the following based on the discussion here:

I: I-5 or 405? Also, 280 was trademarked for the Apple Maps icon for a while, not sure if that means anything.
US: US 66
SR: CA 1

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 26, 2021, 02:22:18 PM
So it seems like the conscious for California are the following based on the discussion here:

I: I-5 or 405? Also, 280 was trademarked for the Apple Maps icon for a while, not sure if that means anything.

Again.  US66 doesn't exist anymore, so while I agree it's well-known, I'd still vote US101.  Otherwise US66 is also the most well known US route in every other state it went through.

Chris

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 26, 2021, 02:29:38 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on October 26, 2021, 02:22:18 PM

Again.  US66 doesn't exist anymore, so while I agree it's well-known, I'd still vote US101.  Otherwise US66 is also the most well known US route in every other state it went through.

Chris

I-280 probably isn't much on the "fame factor"  like I-405 is.  US 101 and to a smaller extent US 99 ought to be on the list. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.