News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Coca Cola Freestyle Machines

Started by roadman65, February 03, 2015, 11:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 17, 2018, 05:28:42 PM
Another thing I wish  you could do is mix drinks to make really dumb soda combinations.

You can.  Select one soda, pour partway up the cup.  Select another soda, fill the rest of the way up.  No different than a standard soda machine.  I do this this all the time at Freestyle machines, mixing different flavors of Fanta together.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

I used to hear of people mixing their own Ale-8 by combining a cola product with a lemon-lime product. I tried it a few times and it sure didn't taste like Ale-8 to me.

Lots of drugstore soda fountains popularized cherry Coke, although it's something I never cared for. Restaurants that serve fountain Ale-8 did the same thing, and it caught the eye of the Ale-8 bottlers. Now they're selling a Cherry Ale-8. My wife brought me a six-pack. To me, it tastes like maraschino cherry juice. I've never been a big fan of the flavored soft drinks, and I won't be drinking a lot of the Cherry Ale-8 since they don't make it in a diet version, but it wasn't bad.

So far, the jury seems to be still out regarding overall opinion of it. Some love it; others think it tastes like cherry-flavored cough syrup.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

The few times I've had it, the taste of Ale-8 always reminded me of the way Vick's Vapo Rub smells.

Pink Jazz

Not as fancy as a Freestyle, but just to share, I was at Arby's today and they had a Coke fountain (made by Cornelius) with backlit valves.  This is different from the Taco Bell fountains where the buttons are backlit with shared valves, but this fountain had individual valves that were backlit.

jakeroot

Ran into an AMPM this afternoon in Bremerton, WA with one of those alternative Cornelius IDC mixing machines. First one I've seen outside of a BK (and only the second (and third) ever).

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 18, 2018, 01:59:02 PM
Who would want Coke and lime together?

I like a lime wedge with my Coke.  Pretty darned common in Mexican restaurants, actually.

I prefer lemon, but yeah. A rum and Coke with a lime wedge is a Cuba Libre.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on May 18, 2018, 07:07:01 PM
I used to hear of people mixing their own Ale-8 by combining a cola product with a lemon-lime product. I tried it a few times and it sure didn't taste like Ale-8 to me.

Supposedly Sprite with a splash of Coke tastes enough like ginger ale that that's what bartenders do when someone orders a drink with ginger ale and they don't have any.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 20, 2018, 09:32:05 PM
I like a lime wedge with my Coke.  Pretty darned common in Mexican restaurants, actually.

People seem to forget that Coca-Cola used to sell both lemon-flavored Coke and lime-flavored Coke for a time, as well. Not sure if they still do or not.

Also, Cuba Libres are one of my favorite drinks.

abefroman329

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 20, 2018, 11:07:49 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 20, 2018, 09:32:05 PM

People seem to forget that Coca-Cola used to sell both lemon-flavored Coke and lime-flavored Coke for a time, as well. Not sure if they still do or not.

Also, Cuba Libres are one of my favorite drinks.

Haven't seen them in a while. They tasted too chemical to me. Nothing matches the taste of a fresh lemon or lime.

US71

Quote from: jakeroot on May 19, 2018, 06:19:57 PM
Ran into an AMPM this afternoon in Bremerton, WA with one of those alternative Cornelius IDC mixing machines. First one I've seen outside of a BK (and only the second (and third) ever).

I saw my first one of those in Texas this past weekend.It had  Coke and Pepsi products, but a limited variety of each (Mountain Dew, but no Diet Dew, no Diet Pepsi)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 15, 2018, 02:20:12 PM
I know Subway has been switching to Pepsi in most countries outside the United States in recent years, and once their contract with Coke in the U.S. comes up for renewal I except them to switch.

I'm in Montreal at the moment.  Since I really don't like eating at full-service restaurants alone, dinner tonight involved my popping into the Subway between the office and the hotel.

This was the first time I had tried Subway north of the border.  After I got over my brief discombobulation of the double-whammy from the menu being in French and various differences in what they offer (I wish I had noticed the paninis before I started my order), I was re-discombobulated not only by their offering Pepsi, but also because they had the little Pepsi mini-Freestyle machine.

Back south of the border, more restaurants in CT with Freestyles:
Noodles & co. (noted elsewhere in the thread)
Qdoba
Burger Fi

(I did my first Quebecois Five Guys a few days ago, since the schwarma place I was aiming for was closed and it was convenient.  I was surprised enough by the all English-speaking crew that I forgot which side of the border I was on, and just barely caught myself before I tried to pay with a Discover card.  They did not, however, have a Freestyle machine, or Cajun seasoning for fries.  They did, unsurprisingly, have poutine.)

Pink Jazz

To my surprise, our local Subway just got one of the mini Coke Freestyle machines.  I assumed that their U.S. contract with Coke was coming up for renewal very soon, and considering that in many countries outside the United States they have been switching to Pepsi, this is a surprise.

Pink Jazz

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it appears here in the Phoenix area many of the newer Burger Kings have opted out of the Coke Freestyle and have chosen to go with the touchscreen Cornelius soda fountains with the flavor shots.  I wonder for what reason.

jakeroot

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 12, 2021, 12:37:29 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but it appears here in the Phoenix area many of the newer Burger Kings have opted out of the Coke Freestyle and have chosen to go with the touchscreen Cornelius soda fountains with the flavor shots.  I wonder for what reason.

This Burger King in Fife, WA opened in early 2018 with one of those Cornelius touchscreen soda fountains. I think it was the first one I ever used. I cannot recall seeing them at any other Burger Kings.

HTM Duke

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 12, 2021, 12:37:29 PM

The Burger King near my on US-19 in Palm Harbor has switched out as well.  As to why, perhaps it's to reduce inventory clutter and to help ensure stock is on hand.  With the Freestyle machines, if I remember right, each separate drink and every flavor needs its own concentrate pack.  With the Cornelius model, it would be down to just the expected soda brands (Coke, Sprite, not Fuze) and just three flavors instead.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

ibthebigd

I hate them.

If someone gets a Barq's then you get a Coca Cola the Coca Cola is nasty.

SM-G950U

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ibthebigd on March 21, 2021, 09:56:47 AM
I hate them.

SM-G950U

Then if you have direct access to the machine (which isn't always possible right now due to C19), just run some water first before selecting your drink.  I always did.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: ibthebigd on March 21, 2021, 09:56:47 AM
I hate them.

SM-G950U

Lately, at the one place I can access the machines directly (Five Guys) they are spritzing water at the end of a cycle, to wash it out.  Maybe what you draw is a little more concentrated to make up for the extra water at the end.  Modern technology!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.