News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Strange habits you have

Started by golden eagle, February 10, 2015, 11:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

You know it's a good thread when the current discussion is the least interesting part. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the current discussion, but I just finished reading this whole thread from end to end and it was very entertaining. Maybe even one of my favorites all-time.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US 89

index

I chew on plastic bottle caps after I finish the bottle until it's ground up to a pulpy, plasticy mess. I've had this habit for probably like, 12 years. Somewhere around that. I wonder how much plastic I've inadvertently swallowed over the years.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

JoePCool14

Quote from: index on March 02, 2021, 06:33:07 AM
I chew on plastic bottle caps after I finish the bottle until it's ground up to a pulpy, plasticy mess. I've had this habit for probably like, 12 years. Somewhere around that. I wonder how much plastic I've inadvertently swallowed over the years.

18 minus 12 is 6, so you've been doing this since you were a 6 year-old?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on March 02, 2021, 12:18:12 AM
I poop.

That's more of a hobby for you, though, isn't it?  Or a passion?  A calling?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Is this strange?

I eat the same thing for lunch every workday:  a BBJ, a hard-boiled egg, and three duplex sandwich cookies.  I've eaten sandwiches for lunch for more than 15 years–either lunchmeat and cheese or PBJ, and it's been PBJ for probably at least four years now.  The only thing I change up is which kind of jam it is;  when one jar runs out, I buy a different kind.

I also eat the same thing for breakfast every morning:  a bowl of granola with milk, and a small glass of grapefruit juice.

(For suppers, though, I have a balanced diet of home-cooked meals.)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2021, 02:13:19 PMIs this strange?

I eat the same thing for lunch every workday:  a BBJ, a hard-boiled egg, and three duplex sandwich cookies.  I've eaten sandwiches for lunch for more than 15 years–either lunchmeat and cheese or PBJ, and it's been PBJ for probably at least four years now.  The only thing I change up is which kind of jam it is;  when one jar runs out, I buy a different kind.

I also eat the same thing for breakfast every morning:  a bowl of granola with milk, and a small glass of grapefruit juice.

I wouldn't say it's strange.  My breakfast and lunch menus typically don't vary from day to day.  For the former I eat hot oatmeal.  For the latter I eat soup in the winter or salad in the summer, followed by washed unpeeled whole carrots.  The soup is fifteen-bean soup six days out of every week, with a gap-filler soup (turnip, spinach, or split pea) on the seventh day.  The salad includes, at minimum, green leaf lettuce, spring onions, and radishes, with cooked diced chicken as available.

I rely on this menu structure to clear two-thirds of the fiber RDA every day with two-thirds of the meals, while adhering to a five out of three rule for vegetables (five servings out of at least three different vegetables, none of which is potato).  For fifteen-bean soup the vegetables are onion, tomato, and garlic, while for the gap-filler soups they are onion, celery, carrot, and whatever the headliner vegetable is.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2021, 02:13:19 PM
Is this strange?

I eat the same thing for lunch every workday ...

Not exactly strange, but I couldn't do that, myself. Back when I was in high school I used to eat individual deep dish pizzas a lot (but not even every day, maybe 2-3 times per week) and now I'm so sick of them I can hardly stand them.

I'm not a big sandwich guy or a fan of cold lunches in general. A sub or salad is about the only thing I'd eat cold for lunch.

hbelkins

Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2021, 02:44:20 PM

I'm not a big sandwich guy or a fan of cold lunches in general. A sub or salad is about the only thing I'd eat cold for lunch.

A sub IS a sandwich.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kenarmy

Do y'all have foods that change from being good to nasty more than once, and you don't know when it'll change? I used to religiously eat pb&j, but I randomly got tired of the jelly so I just started fixing peanut butter, and recently I've starting eating it with jelly again. Same with moon pies, I loved those so much but one day I just thought they were the nastiest thing ever.... until I started liking them again and recently I've begin to dislike them.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2021, 02:13:19 PM
Is this strange?

I eat the same thing for lunch every workday:

Supreme court justice David Souter famously had the same lunch every day for his entire time on the court: a single apple and plain yogurt. (Justice Ginsberg seemed to think this was really gross.) After learning of that fact, I've actually tried it a few times (although I had flavored yogurt, usually vanilla or blueberry) and found it to be a surprisingly filling lunch.

Quote from: kenarmy on March 03, 2021, 08:04:22 PM
Do y'all have foods that change from being good to nasty more than once, and you don't know when it'll change?

A few foods that I used to love have been ruined for me after I recovered from covid. Peanut butter was once delicious, now it tastes wretched. Although I think I'm slowly starting to recover my sense of taste four months on, fortunately.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2021, 07:17:56 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2021, 02:44:20 PM

A sub IS a sandwich.

Yes, it is a type of sandwich. I guess buns, including sub buns, are usually OK. It's mostly cold sandwiches with plain bread that I take issue with.  :meh:

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2021, 10:19:47 PM
plain bread

Isn't most bread made from wheat grown on a plain?

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 03, 2021, 10:59:16 PM
plain bread

And plains are flat, so I think this means buns should be called mountain bread.

(Also, some types of non-plain-grown bread are good. Pumpkin, for example.)

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2021, 11:28:31 PM
plain bread

And plains are flat, so I think this means buns should be called mountain bread.

Buns come from mountains?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kevinb1994

plain bread

But what pumpkin? :D

kevinb1994

Quote from: Rothman on March 04, 2021, 01:22:29 AM
plain bread

Buns come from mountains?
Not sure if he meant to refer to Buncombe County...nice Asheville, NC. ;)

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 03, 2021, 08:44:11 PM
A few foods that I used to love have been ruined for me after I recovered from covid. Peanut butter was once delicious, now it tastes wretched. Although I think I'm slowly starting to recover my sense of taste four months on, fortunately.

A good friend of ours still has wacky taste COVID side-effect fun.  For her, it's only certain types of flavor.  For example, she can never tell how salty something is.  Other types of taste are back to normal.

Is it similar for you?
Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

Do y'all have foods that change from being good to nasty more than once, and you don't know when it'll change?

I'm sorry to hear that. I had the virus back in the beginning of November (right around the election). I lost my sense of smell, though thankfully my taste was completely unaffected. Four months later now, and my smell is still practically non-existent. Really annoying when I'm trying to figure out when clothes need to be washed. Glad to hear I'm not alone with these long-term side effects. There's still hope!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

jmacswimmer

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 04, 2021, 10:07:43 AM

I'm sorry to hear that. I had the virus back in the beginning of November (right around the election). I lost my sense of smell, though thankfully my taste was completely unaffected. Four months later now, and my smell is still practically non-existent. Really annoying when I'm trying to figure out when clothes need to be washed. Glad to hear I'm not alone with these long-term side effects. There's still hope!

Same here - I too had COVID in early November, and also lost my sense of smell while retaining taste (unlike my fiancée, who lost both smell & taste).  While it has since returned for the most part, there are certain things that smell & taste different than they used to.  For instance, honey-nut cheerios now taste slightly metallic to me, and my fiancée finds that scrambled eggs always taste burnt to her now.
But the big one is that my farts smell way different to me now than they ever did before :bigass:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 04, 2021, 10:20:22 AM

psssssst . . . .  Unless you're specifically going for gender-neutral language, fiancé is masculine and fiancée is feminine.  Not sure how your fiancée feels about being called a man.
Male pronouns, please.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 10:37:05 AM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 04, 2021, 10:20:22 AM

psssssst . . . .  Unless you're specifically going for gender-neutral language, fiancé is masculine and fiancée is feminine.  Not sure how your fiancée feels about being called a man.

Oops...I didn't even realize there was a difference, goes to show how much of an uncultured swine I am :pan:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

jemacedo9

Do y'all have foods that change from being good to nasty more than once, and you don't know when it'll change? I used to religiously eat pb&j, but I randomly got tired of the jelly so I just started fixing peanut butter, and recently I've starting eating it with jelly again. Same with moon pies, I loved those so much but one day I just thought they were the nastiest thing ever.... until I started liking them again and recently I've begin to dislike them.

YES...and mine specifically was the opposite...I used to eat PB&J all the time and then I randomly got tired of the peanut butter.  I haven't had a PB&J in at least 15 years now.  I used to go heavy with spaghetti sauce but about 10 years it was too much and now I go very light with it.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 10:00:47 AM

A good friend of ours still has wacky taste COVID side-effect fun.  For her, it's only certain types of flavor.  For example, she can never tell how salty something is.  Other types of taste are back to normal.

Is it similar for you?

I've noticed that, in my case, fat is more highly affected than other macronutrients. I notice the most difference in peanut butter and fried foods, to the point that for a while there I stopped eating fried foods altogether. Fortunately, that seems to be slowly returning to normal, though in general everything still tastes blander than it used to.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.