News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Strange habits you have

Started by golden eagle, February 10, 2015, 11:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

I guess I'm the strange one here because I wash everything if it's worn for more than a few hours, let alone the most of a day. I might wear jeans a second time if it was just for a few hours and if it was cool outside, or if I went to a public place (wash it anyway). Exceptions for a jackets/sweatshirts worn just 1-2 times a week, they'll get a second or third week before hitting the wash cycle. I know my own odoriferous limits nowadays, so I don't risk it.

I don't think getting more time out of clothing is strange, because laundry used to be a task and waiting around for a laundry machine outside your apartment/dorm room was a PITA, and so I'd wait it out as long as possible.

Regarding long-term durability: Pants seem to last less time than shirts, in my experience. Jeans and slacks might last 3-6 years, whereas I'll get 5-10 years on a shirt, on averages.

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 05, 2021, 02:59:04 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 05, 2021, 02:44:03 PM
I've never understood why some guys wear tank-top undershirts (or "strap" undershirts, as you call them). Leaving your armpits uncovered renders the undershirt useless for sweat absorption in the area where it's most important.

Having the sleeves of a T-shirt crammed into the sleeves of a long-sleeved shirt can be pretty uncomfortable. Although you're right about the sweat absorption. I've tried both and they both kind of have their downsides.

The issue with doubling up shirts (as would be the case with a non-strapped undershirts) does remind me of the issue I have with boxers, which is that it feels like I'm wearing two pairs of pants. This is mainly a problem with the boxers with higher levels of polyester (maybe? the scratchy material), though, so I mainly use cotton-heavy boxers.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on March 05, 2021, 04:25:20 PM
Regarding long-term durability: Pants seem to last less time than shirts, in my experience. Jeans and slacks might last 3-6 years, whereas I'll get 5-10 years on a shirt, on averages.

I wear holes in the seat of my jeans, and that's about impossible to mend.  So a poorly constructed pair of jeans (Levi's 501, for example) lasts me about two years.  I now by jeans based on the thickness of the denim, so they'll last me longer.  I now buy Lee brand for that reason, as it's easy to shop online by what type of denim they're made of.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

The comments about older clothes make me wonder what the oldest item of clothing you have is (I suppose this could be another thread). Of stuff I've bought, I have some shirts that date back to the 1980s, the oldest of them dating to 1986 (a rugby shirt that has my high school's name on it, although I was in junior high in 1986), and I do periodically wear most of them. The best thing I've done for clothing longevity is discontinuing my use of antiperspirant due to the aluminum content. The aluminum causes crusty pits.

Of other stuff, I have a short-sleeved sweatshirt (seriously) that my father bought when he was in law school sometime between 1968 and 1971, though I have not worn it in a long time, and I think I have some cashmere sweaters he bought between 1964 and 1968 and I definitely have the tie he wore in either his high school or college graduation photo (not sure which; he graduated from high school in 1964 and college in 1968). I was going to wear that tie to his funeral Mass in July 2019 except that when I put it on, it didn't quite look right to me, just a little too skinny. I used to wear it from time to time during high school and college.

I periodically donate old clothes I no longer wear, although for emotional reasons it's hard to give away anything that belonged to my dad or that he gave me. I suppose even though I think I've adjusted to his being gone, that must not entirely be true.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 05, 2021, 08:49:46 PM
The comments about older clothes make me wonder what the oldest item of clothing you have is (I suppose this could be another thread).

I have a couple older shirts in my closet. But being 25, most of my stuff is pretty new.

Two of the oldest things, for sure, are my Flaming Moe's button-up shirt (dated 2002), and a blue Gino's East t-shirt from the early 2000s. Both were given to me from my father, as they would have been way too big for me at seven/eight years old.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 05, 2021, 08:49:46 PM
The comments about older clothes make me wonder what the oldest item of clothing you have is (I suppose this could be another thread).

I've lost a good deal of weight in the past two years so I'm glad I've saved some old clothing. I have a few shirts and jackets that I bought in 1998-99 which still fit. Some of my long-sleeve clothing and jackets don't have as much mileage, so they last a good deal longer.

I have a leather jacket which belonged to my father, but I haven't fit into it in over 20 years. It dates from around 1985, and I plan on offering it to my son.

vtk

When I eat a Little Debbie Nutty Buddy bar, I always pull the wafers apart from one another and eat them individually.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Big John

^^ I thought I was the only one to do that.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

Quote from: vtk on March 10, 2021, 05:52:25 PM
When I eat a Little Debbie Nutty Buddy bar, I always pull the wafers apart from one another and eat them individually.

Yup, same here. Sometimes I buy the Keebler Fudge Sticks and I do the exact same thing.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

I do it with sandwich cookies.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Who doesn't?  (That's not a strange habit)

kenarmy

Quote from: kphoger on March 11, 2021, 09:45:43 AM
I do it with sandwich cookies.
omg same, and I get called weird for doing it.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

webny99

I wear shoes pretty much all the time, except to the shower and to sleep.

I can't even explain why, I just don't feel right not wearing them, even at home.

CoreySamson

Another strange habit I have: when cleaning out dirt from under my nails, I use the pointy end of a mathematical compass to do it.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

webny99

Oh, fingernails. I can't stand long fingernails. Mine are extremely short; the white part is almost invisible. On rare occasions when a longer fingernail would have been useful for something, I fleetingly consider growing them to a more normal length, but never for long enough to actually do it.

texaskdog

I'm attracted to pregnant women.

I try hard to avoid pooping outside my house.

I have no tolerance for fast food that is not fast.  I will avoid chains and locations that take forever to cook simple food.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: texaskdog on May 25, 2021, 12:09:23 AM
Is that because they are all (for the most part) younger than you?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 25, 2021, 12:10:46 AM

God, now that's funny!!!!!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: texaskdog on May 25, 2021, 12:12:30 AM

Why else would you be attracted to them?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 25, 2021, 12:12:53 AM

Well then I would have just said I was attracted to younger women, duh

https://www.babygaga.com/7-reasons-why-men-like-pregnant-women/

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: texaskdog on May 25, 2021, 12:16:20 AM

I'm not going to say what I was thinking.

texaskdog

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 25, 2021, 12:17:25 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on May 25, 2021, 12:16:20 AM

I'm not going to say what I was thinking.

You like to make your own?

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on October 30, 2017, 04:57:42 PM
Quote from: formulanone on October 30, 2017, 08:04:38 AM
He's (still is?...not sure) homeschooled; that's a major chunk of social skills, verbal/visual cues, and social graces missing from one's life. Family can be very forgiving towards, accustomed to, or unaware of social miscues and behaviors, so not "getting things" also isn't terribly surprising.

Sorry to jump in here, but my wife home-schools our children, and some of my best friends were home-schooled.  You seem to be assuming that home-schooled children don't interact with anyone but their families, and that's simply not true in my experience.  Between non-school sports, church activities, family friends and extended family members, and citywide home-school associations–home-schooled children are likely to have quite a bit more interaction with "the outside world" than you might imagine.

Don't ruin my stereotype

index

Quote from: formulanone on March 05, 2021, 04:25:20 PM
I guess I'm the strange one here because I wash everything if it's worn for more than a few hours, let alone the most of a day. I might wear jeans a second time if it was just for a few hours and if it was cool outside, or if I went to a public place (wash it anyway).

I also do this. I am really, really, really paranoid about smelling bad so I won't ever wear something twice without watching it, almost no matter what.  Because of this I also shower for an absurdly long time, scrub myself totally down after I get out as well, and I carry a stick of deodorant with me at all times, usually during the summer I'll apply it like three times in a day while I'm out. If I even feel just a little bit sweaty I also physically distance myself from people. Maybe I'm irrational but I'd rather have the peace of mind of knowing almost for sure I don't stink and I'm not bothering other people with it.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.