News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Paramount+

Started by kevinb1994, March 01, 2021, 09:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

Is anyone excited (or not) about the upcoming streaming service? I'm for one excited about the newly-redesigned app, as the former CBS All Access (as we all have since known it as, because it is the first network TV streaming app-that is, not launched by a cable TV company) has gotten long in the tooth.

vdeane

As long as they don't break streaming on Linux (which All Access did for a period in January 2020 and HBO Max did for a couple months as well).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kevinb1994

Quote from: vdeane on March 01, 2021, 09:58:57 PM
As long as they don't break streaming on Linux (which All Access did for a period in January 2020 and HBO Max did for a couple months as well).
Yeesh. That's unfortunate. I'm a HBO Max user, by the way-I have had AT&T since we moved here. Comcast doesn't really serve my neck of the woods. When I did have them, I got us HBO because of John Oliver. He was funny on The Daily Show, if you can recall.

I also noticed that the former CBS All Access page on Wiki got edited to show it being rebranded as Paramount+. Looks like more of us are excited about it than I previously thought. But it's been edited back to show the Wiki page as saying that the app redesign is coming soon. Looks like someone jumped the gun.

I-39

Eh, I'm not sure. It's still going to be vastly inferior to Netflix and Disney and even HBO Max. What exciting new content are they producing that people are genuinely excited about.

I'll say it again, Netflix should buy ViacomCBS. They would be a powerhouse together.

kevinb1994

Quote from: I-39 on March 01, 2021, 10:12:40 PM
Eh, I'm not sure. It's still going to be vastly inferior to Netflix and Disney and even HBO Max. What exciting new content are they producing that people are genuinely excited about.

I'll say it again, Netflix should buy ViacomCBS. They would be a powerhouse together.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm not a fan of media mergers.

I-39

Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 01, 2021, 10:14:20 PM

It's all about scale these days. ViacomCBS will have to be purchased or merged into someone else at some point, they don't have the scale to compete. This is especially true if NBCUniversal and WarnerMedia end up be spun off from Comcast and AT&T and merged together.

kevinb1994

Quote from: I-39 on March 01, 2021, 10:23:47 PM

It's all about scale these days. ViacomCBS will have to be purchased or merged into someone else at some point, they don't have the scale to compete. This is especially true if NBCUniversal and WarnerMedia end up be spun off from Comcast and AT&T and merged together.
Like that will ever happen.

I-39

Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 01, 2021, 10:26:27 PM

I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't rule it out. BTW, it's not just my speculation.

[/url] https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanberr/2021/01/31/would-nbcuniversal-and-warnermedia-be-better-off-together/?sh=37c7d6f3edc2[/url]

kevinb1994

Quote from: I-39 on March 01, 2021, 10:31:28 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 01, 2021, 10:26:27 PM

I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't rule it out. BTW, it's not just my speculation.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanberr/2021/01/31/would-nbcuniversal-and-warnermedia-be-better-off-together/?sh=37c7d6f3edc2
I can't say for sure if Forbes really knows what's going to happen.

OCGuy81

As a fan of most of the Star Trek series I

A) hope they don't pull streaming from Netflix

B) am pretty angry they have Discovery and Picard as exclusive series.

kevinb1994

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 01, 2021, 10:36:49 PM
As a fan of most of the Star Trek series I

A) hope they don't pull streaming from Netflix

B) am pretty angry they have Discovery and Picard as exclusive series.
I'm not even a fan of Netflix. They're the new evil empire as far as streaming goes. Amazon, I prefer, because I do think that the potential could very well be there.

Scott5114

I wish all of the streaming services would license their content to each other, so you could see the same stuff no matter which one you subscribed to. It's starting to become like cable, except you have to pay $9 a month for each channel.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kevinb1994

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 01, 2021, 10:44:28 PM
I wish all of the streaming services would license their content to each other, so you could see the same stuff no matter which one you subscribed to. It's starting to become like cable, except you have to pay $9 a month for each channel.
Hmm. You're right about that.

TheHighwayMan3561

I think their move to start adding Paramount's vast movie library into their service will help add cache to it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

What I'd like to see is for streaming services to package their live channels with their premium streaming services so we can just completely do away with third party providers. You get a package of CBS/Viacom channels with Paramount+, a package of NBC/Comcast channels with Peacock, a package of Disney/ABC channels with Disney+ and/or ESPN+, a package of Discovery channels with Discovery+, a package of Warner channels with HBO Max, and Fox would have to come up with a streaming service to package with their channels.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

vdeane

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds; Captain Pike, Spock, and Number One were such a hit in season 2 of Discovery that they got their own show.  Here's some clips from the ending scenes of the season 2 finale, with the movie-era soundtrack overlayed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zevpuCP6Es

Anyone else remember when Hulu was free, everything available on streaming was either there and/or on Netflix (which cost about half of what it does now), and things that weren't available on streaming could be obtained through the DVD plan built in to all Netflix subscriptions?  It was great.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SP Cook

The way to look at the transformation of CBSAA to Paramount+ is that CBSAA was a flop.   CBS said how about some old reruns, access to CBS shows you can get for free on a little thing called television (or which you can stream for free if you don't mind the ads), and some extra preachy Star Trek?  And the world said, nah.

So now they are tossing out yet more content from the Paramount and Showtime vaults, for the same price.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SP Cook on March 02, 2021, 01:40:52 PM
The way to look at the transformation of CBSAA to Paramount+ is that CBSAA was a flop.   CBS said how about some old reruns, access to CBS shows you can get for free on a little thing called television (or which you can stream for free if you don't mind the ads), and some extra preachy Star Trek?  And the world said, nah.

So now they are tossing out yet more content from the Paramount and Showtime vaults, for the same price.

I have had a CBSAA subscription just because it was really cheap and I needed it to watch Champions League or Europa League soccer.  Outside of those games every couple of weeks, there was zero that made we want to look at it ever again.

Chris

kphoger

It's starting to become like cable, except you have to pay $9 a month for each channel.

Funny.  Before streaming really took off, people wished they could pay per cable channel.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2021, 02:06:27 PM
It's starting to become like cable, except you have to pay $9 a month for each channel.

Funny.  Before streaming really took off, people wished they could pay per cable channel.

I would pay a good amount of money just for live sports.  I need nothing else live.  If I could get the ESPNs, the Fox Sports, NFL Network, NBA Network, NBC Sports (while it exists), etc. all for $30 a month, they'd have my money very quickly.

Chris

Scott5114

Well, yeah, people hated cable bundles. But each of these services is like a bundle unto itself. After all, if I subscribed to the existing CBS All Access cause I wanted to watch Price is Right and Star Trek, I'd apparently also be paying for Europa League Soccer. Which isn't that different than being forced to pay for QVC.

At least with cable bundles you don't have to maintain login details for each bundle, exit out of one bundle so you can watch a channel from a different bundle with a different interface, and so on.

We have a subscription to Hulu on my wife's insistence. I've always thought Hulu was stupid because you have to pay for it and it still has ads.  If I wanted to stream videos off the Internet with ads, that's already a thing; it's called YouTube and it's free.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 02, 2021, 04:02:08 PM
We have a subscription to Hulu on my wife's insistence. I've always thought Hulu was stupid because you have to pay for it and it still has ads.  If I wanted to stream videos off the Internet with ads, that's already a thing; it's called YouTube and it's free.

We have the Disney Plus/ESPN Plus/Hulu bundle for only $12.99/mo and I feel like that's a good deal.  If you have adblocker software and watch Hulu on the computer as opposed to the TV, it cancels some of the commercials.

Chris

ET21

Long as they don't take all of the older Star Trek series from the 90s and early 2000s off of Netflix (which they eventually will more than likely), I likely won't use it
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

We have a subscription to Hulu on my wife's insistence. I've always thought Hulu was stupid because you have to pay for it and it still has ads.

So.... basically like cable TV, except you get to choose when to watch what.  That's still an advantage over live TV.

(We have Hulu and watch Family Matters on it pretty much every week.  We also have Amazon and Netflix.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Of course, when they wished that, they envisioned taking their $50/month cable bill and splitting it evenly across the 70 or so channels they got (which would be less than a dollar a channel), and then only paying for the 10 or so channels they actually watch.  Not exactly what we got.

I still hate Hulu for going that way.  At one time, the main plan was free.  Then they added Hulu Plus for the approximate price of the main plan.  They they doubled the price of Hulu Plus and forced the free users to pay the former price for Hulu Plus for no change in service.  They basically took a free service and then forced people to start paying what they used to charge to get rid of ads in exchange for nothing more than what they used to get for free.  I don't understand why people went along with it instead of, say, boycotting the service and forcing them to go back to the way it was.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.