News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Arkansas State Police to Crack Down on Speeders

Started by US71, July 11, 2020, 12:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ozarkman417

Found this gold in the comments:

QuoteMandatory speed limits should be a suggestion like mandatory face mask wearing. Limiting speed is hampering commerce, bigly!
Also:
Quotethe Arkansas State Police will contribute patrol resources in a Regional Speed Enforcement Plan that targets speeding violators on particular selected days of the week.  The participating states include Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska.
I do wonder what the days of the week are, or if they are a secret, so people don't equip the lead foot on days they know they are less likely to get caught on. If MO is already on the same program then going 5-10 over should still be fine, I was just fine going 71 in a 65 when I passed a cop yesterday. A commentor brought up a good point: does the higher speed limit mean less of a grace period?

capt.ron

Quote from: US71 on July 11, 2020, 12:15:40 PM
https://arktimes.com/arkansas-blog/2020/07/10/state-police-to-crack-down-on-speeding-as-the-speed-limits-rise

Speed limits are rising in Arkansas, but state police plan to crack down on people exceeding the speed limit.
Good. I went to the LR area just this Thursday (7/9) and was passed by as if I was standing still (I set the cruise at 73). The speed limit is still 70 but people were whizzing by me going at least 80, if not 85. People are jumping the gun on the new speed limits. It's not official until the signs are posted, people!!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: capt.ron on July 11, 2020, 02:20:37 PM
Quote from: US71 on July 11, 2020, 12:15:40 PM
https://arktimes.com/arkansas-blog/2020/07/10/state-police-to-crack-down-on-speeding-as-the-speed-limits-rise

Speed limits are rising in Arkansas, but state police plan to crack down on people exceeding the speed limit.
Good. I went to the LR area just this Thursday (7/9) and was passed by as if I was standing still (I set the cruise at 73). The speed limit is still 70 but people were whizzing by me going at least 80, if not 85. People are jumping the gun on the new speed limits. It's not official until the signs are posted, people!!
In New England, people go 80 when the speed limit is 65 or lower. My dad hit 86 in a 70 zone in New Hampshire.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Road Hog

The signs at the state line say No Tolerance, but that's a lie. Back in the 65-mph days on the interstate I cruised 80-85 past cops on a regular basis and never got a look. And in the 55-mph days I was told if you drove less than 65, the cops were more likely to pull you over for driving suspicious.

edwaleni

Quote from: Road Hog on July 11, 2020, 04:14:38 PM
The signs at the state line say No Tolerance, but that's a lie. Back in the 65-mph days on the interstate I cruised 80-85 past cops on a regular basis and never got a look. And in the 55-mph days I was told if you drove less than 65, the cops were more likely to pull you over for driving suspicious.

If you are a cop and speed without your lights on, you are more likely to end up on You Tube as a hypocrite.

The problem with cops who drive the speed limit, it is very successful at getting people to slow down as no one wants to pass the cop. On the other hand the slowness impedes the flow of traffic and can cause a backup of a mile or more, which is just as dangerous.

1995hoo

Quote from: edwaleni on July 14, 2020, 09:53:34 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on July 11, 2020, 04:14:38 PM

If you are a cop and speed without your lights on, you are more likely to end up on You Tube as a hypocrite.

The problem with cops who drive the speed limit, it is very successful at getting people to slow down as no one wants to pass the cop. On the other hand the slowness impedes the flow of traffic and can cause a backup of a mile or more, which is just as dangerous.

This sort of thing used to be common on Maryland's highways when the state was in danger of losing federal highway funds because not enough motorists were complying with the 55-mph national speed limit. The feds deemed this an acceptable way to achieve compliance.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ilpt4u

When an Officer's vehicle is on the Freeway cruising, basically that vehicle becomes a pace car for regular traffic

I have intentionally passed a squad car once or twice, but it was with my cruise set at the speed limit and the squad car was cruising just slightly under

Often times the squad car/pace car is cruising a bit over the limit, in my experience, anyway

SectorZ

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 23, 2020, 06:20:39 PM
When an Officer's vehicle is on the Freeway cruising, basically that vehicle becomes a pace car for regular traffic

I have intentionally passed a squad car once or twice, but it was with my cruise set at the speed limit and the squad car was cruising just slightly under

Often times the squad car/pace car is cruising a bit over the limit, in my experience, anyway

Must be weird to live in a state where your state troopers don't drive 80-90 MPH in the left lane, tailgating people even in traffic that prevents them from moving over, and in some cases pulls those people over for impeding traffic.

ilpt4u

^^^^ It happens, but not typical

70-75 MPH is the usual squad car/pace car cruising speed, at least in my experience

Flint1979

That's interesting. I was talking to a Saginaw County Sheriff and yesterday and he told me they are being told to not pull anyone over and if they do they just go up to the window of the car with a face mask on and ask the driver to please slow down. They want no contact and aren't issuing tickets. I find that crazy.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 23, 2020, 10:00:25 PM
That's interesting. I was talking to a Saginaw County Sheriff and yesterday and he told me they are being told to not pull anyone over and if they do they just go up to the window of the car with a face mask on and ask the driver to please slow down. They want no contact and aren't issuing tickets. I find that crazy.

Not crazy.  It just goes to show that tickets aren't about safety.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.