News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lazy SOB signing contractor

Started by mcdonaat, August 11, 2012, 09:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

US 167, known as the Pineville Expressway, received a signing project bid in May of 2011, with work on upgrading the different styles of signage to one uniform Clearview sign set, with FHWA shields. The signs are beautiful, and the resurfacing of US 167 between US 71 South and LA 3225 was seen as a way to improve the substandard roadway. Progress continued to December, where work stopped.

Fast forward to August of 2012, and signing is just now resuming. One lane of the Expressway was open, with two closed, at the Red River bridge, for installation of a Clearview sign. The 1/2 mile graphic sign (with exit lanes shown on a picture) is now being installed, and old signage has finally been removed. The project looks almost pristine, except for the simple fact that it was supposed to be completed December 28, 2011.

Any other examples of this? It SUCKS that I had to wait a while to see it completed, but it's a breather.

Brian556

Usually when a contractor stops work for a period of time in the middle of a project, it's because a problem has been encountered. These problems could range from errors on the plans, a change of plans mid-contract, or a utility conflict(utility where an element of the project is supposed to go), and are sometimes the DOT or engineering firm's fault. When these problems are encountered, a change order must be prepared, and that can take some time.

J N Winkler

Another possible explanation is a backup in the Louisiana DOTD drawing office.  When LaDOTD puts out a signing contract to bid, normally only sign sketches--which typically do not resemble the finished signs closely--are given in the plans.  Once the contract is awarded, LaDOTD or its engineering consultant has to produce the finished sign designs and give them to the contractor so he can fabricate the signs.  If these designs are not forthcoming, the contractor won't be able to manufacture and erect signs.

Last year LaDOTD lost its lead signing engineer (I don't know the circumstances, but he either died or left abruptly).  That could have resulted in delays getting sign design packages out to the contractors.

Most other state DOTs (including the DOTs in all three states neighboring Louisiana) prefer to include the sign designs in the signing plans themselves.  This gives the plans a more finished and professional appearance, and also gives the contractor the option of going ahead and making the signs without waiting for the state DOT to issue sign designs.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mcdonaat

I looked at the signing plans, and they were approved on 12/12/09. The thing that made me mad was that the signs were actually laying in the grass in the middle of a Y-interchange at the northern end of the Expressway, where US 71 and US 167 split. I posted photos under "Best of Clearview?" and used it to showcase the fine example of Clearview use, in a proper way.

I talked to the Interstate sign manager herself about the project, since she was over the expressway job, and about a week later (keep in mind the signs were sitting out in the weather for about seven months with no progress) work was being done to finish. It might just be a coincidence, but it seems like the contractor got distracted.

I did notice a few signing changes that were made, such as signing a highway that actually existed one interchange back (a quick talk with the lead guy on the side of the road, and a day later, the shield was scraped off the BGS), and the addition of Ferriday as a separate city. Other than those two things, the signing project seemed slow.

It's not the DOTD's fault by ANY means, but the fault of the contractor. I can tell that we were without a sign director, because Baton Rouge now has some sort of evil child signs... Clearview 100%, with the shields and all.. not seen anywhere else in the state. We also now have (I counted) twelve different state shield designs for a standard introduced in 2008.

Scott5114

12 variants of one shield? I thought Oklahoma having four was bad...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: mcdonaat on August 12, 2012, 01:34:26 AMIt's not the DOTD's fault by ANY means, but the fault of the contractor. I can tell that we were without a sign director, because Baton Rouge now has some sort of evil child signs... Clearview 100%, with the shields and all.. not seen anywhere else in the state. We also now have (I counted) twelve different state shield designs for a standard introduced in 2008.

In regard to the "evil child" signs, I wonder if that is a case of a learning curve going on.  Before he left, LaDOTD's sign engineer prepared a presentation (which I think may still be accessible somewhere on the LaDOTD website) indicating that LaDOTD was changing to Clearview, including the use of Clearview in route shields even in negative contrast (as shown in accompanying CAD renderings).  His successor might have begun on the assumption that this was adopted policy.

The Pineville Expressway signing plan (023-01-0068) is ugly.  Much more clean-looking is the signing plan for an I-12 signs replacement which was advertised (if memory serves) last March (H.009032).  It does not have sign design sheets but the sign layout sheets are pattern-accurate.  Unfortunately, it shows Clearview route marker digits and Clearview "EXIT ONLY" in negative contrast.  (I-12 runs from Baton Rouge to Slidell and the length covered by this contract is around the Madisonville/Covington exit, which is close to Slidell.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 12, 2012, 10:20:49 AM
12 variants of one shield? I thought Oklahoma having four was bad...

What are the differences?  Do you have pictures of each style?

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Road Hog

The new Oklahoma design rips off the Florida design. But I like the Florida design, so that's OK with me.

mcdonaat

If you're talking about the signing plans, they are hideous... But unique. The plans show a standard font, giving the contractor the option of Clearview or FHWA font.

North LA has proper Clearview, with the proper shields and neg. contrast. South A has 100% Clearview, with shields and fonts. The latter is ugly to every extent.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.