News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Ontario's Highways

Started by un1, January 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrepoiy

The 407 East extension is way underused... maybe if it were tolled a bit cheaper, then it would be more useful.

BridgesToIdealism

Does anyone know what the original (cancelled?) plans for the north end of Highway 404 were? What were these stubs/abandoned ROW supposed to lead to?
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

rickmastfan67

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on April 13, 2021, 06:06:44 PM
Does anyone know what the original (cancelled?) plans for the north end of Highway 404 were? What were these stubs/abandoned ROW supposed to lead to?

They just recently built that extension, and it opened September 17, 2014.

There are also plans to extend it all the way to ON-12.
https://www.york.ca/wps/wcm/connect/yorkpublic/0d954ef4-12b6-4ac7-931d-39a3d1269dff/2015+Approved+Roads_8_11_year_Ver2.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

cbeach40

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on April 13, 2021, 06:06:44 PM

That's an interim ending, the highway will eventually will be extended.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 13, 2021, 09:55:53 PM
There are also plans to extend it all the way to ON-12.

Here's a map that shows the small bit in Durham too. Can see it follows the right-of-way of Highway 48 for the last few km before it meets up with Highway 12.

and waterrrrrrr!

andrepoiy

Imo, the 404 extension isn't really that useful for now. I'd rather see 413 get built first.

andrepoiy

AsphaltPlanet

View of the 401 from Trafalgar Road in Milton.  The basketweave ramp that will link the 407 ramps to the left side of the westbound collectors is visible in the distance on the left side of the this photo:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_cl_328_east_WB_t_May21_24x16.jpg
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

andrepoiy

I just wish they could add collector lanes to the section between 427 and 409...

jakeroot

What's the deal with the construction markings? I know the MTO uses orange markings, but I only see them on one carriageway, despite both seemingly being under construction.

andrepoiy

Quote from: jakeroot on May 04, 2021, 11:32:40 PM
What's the deal with the construction markings? I know the MTO uses orange markings, but I only see them on one carriageway, despite both seemingly being under construction.

In my experience the orange markings are only used when the lanes are being shifted from their normal position

cbeach40

Quote from: andrepoiy on May 05, 2021, 12:02:15 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 04, 2021, 11:32:40 PM

In my experience the orange markings are only used when the lanes are being shifted from their normal position

That's the short answer to it.
From the looks (and timing) of it, the westbound (approaching) lanes were painted with standard markings for over the winter shutdown and haven't been moved yet. Meanwhile shifting as restarted on the eastbound lanes and new temporary markings have been applied there.

and waterrrrrrr!

jakeroot

My only point was that both carriageways seem to have shifted lanes, yet only the eastbound lanes had the correct orange markings.

As I understand it: the MTO will use standard markings for shifted lanes (clearly the case westbound), but only as prelude to extended shutdowns. Is that correct?

cbeach40

Quote from: jakeroot on May 06, 2021, 07:11:48 PM
My only point was that both carriageways seem to have shifted lanes, yet only the eastbound lanes had the correct orange markings.

As I understand it: the MTO will use standard markings for shifted lanes (clearly the case westbound), but only as prelude to extended shutdowns. Is that correct?

Basically yes. The fact that it likely wasn't an active construction zone, and that orange markings are only temporary and as such have low durability, means that over the winter standard markings would be applied there.

Also, orange markings are typically only used in the Toronto area where lane shifts and other traffic staging changes often over the course of a project. In other parts of the province they've gone back to standard white and yellow lines as when staging is keeping low volumes of traffic in the same shift for months on end it makes sense to keep it standard even in a construction zone.
and waterrrrrrr!

AsphaltPlanet

Easterly view from the Martin Grove Road overpass on the 407.  The towers in the distance are at 400 and 7, and the new Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Subway station:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_407-409_images/407_cl_60_east_EB_t_May21_24x16.jpg
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

andrepoiy

AsphaltPlanet

It was shot on a sunday afternoon during a lockdown, so yeah, pretty empty.  Thanks for the comment.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on May 30, 2021, 10:40:23 PM
Easterly view from the Martin Grove Road overpass on the 407.  The towers in the distance are at 400 and 7, and the new Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Subway station:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_407-409_images/407_cl_60_east_EB_t_May21_24x16.jpg

I compared it with a Google Streetview taken in June 2009, lots of changes in the landscape! https://goo.gl/maps/Z9Cgo2yZu68YsUjs6

andrepoiy

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 31, 2021, 01:38:56 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on May 30, 2021, 10:40:23 PM

[image]

I compared it with a Google Streetview taken in June 2009, lots of changes in the landscape! https://goo.gl/maps/Z9Cgo2yZu68YsUjs6

Indeed. However, this plan with all the highrises (Vaughan Metropolitan Centre) has been in the making even back then, and now is finally in the first stages of being realized.

AsphaltPlanet

andrepoiy

Stephane Dumas

AsphaltPlanet

That ramp channel on the Islington Avenue overpass is crazy.  I forgot it was like that.

andrepoiy

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 16, 2021, 06:21:18 PM
That ramp channel on the Islington Avenue overpass is crazy.  I forgot it was like that.

Probably removed to improve pedestrian access

rickmastfan67

Does anybody know how accurate is OSM currently showing the state of ON-69 between SH-607 & SH-522? Somebody on OSM just recently changed it to show it on the new alignment.  Has this really happened?  I want to properly update ON-69 for TM and put it on the new alignment if it is indeed on it.  If it is indeed on the new alignment, is the Pickerel River Road interchange also open?  I know it isn't shown on OSM, but can see the clearing progress in some imagery sources.

AsphaltPlanet

Traffic has been shifted onto a new alignment north through both the French and Pickerel River bridges, but neither of the interchanges at Pickerel River Road or Hwy 607 are open.  So far only one carriageway of the new highway had opened, and the full freeway won't be completed until next year.

There are photos of this project from earlier this spring on a previous page of this forum thread.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.