News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Tamandua

Quote from: US71 on December 03, 2013, 12:19:21 PM
Quote from: Bill C on November 30, 2013, 07:05:43 PM

If I may be bold enough to offer a suggestion to the geographic difficulties of building through western Arkansas, why not simply build I-49 from Texarkana to Fort Smith  through eastern Oklahoma and link the new roadway at the southern current end of I-540?  It seems to me to be a way to save money and to build the road quicker (if Oklahoma is amenable to the prospect of the new interstate in their territory).  Oklahoma's hills are smaller and their terrain easier to surmount.  Go west young man...

Once upon a time, there was a proposal to extend I-540 into Oklahoma, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

There is already a section of I-49 set to open next year between Barling and south of Ft Smith.  There is also a proposal to reroute I-540 near exit 12 to connect to I-49, so having having 49 connect to 540 near the OK/AR Line seems a moot point.

Hoo, boy...I thought the same thing too, until I drove up and down the Oklahoma 59 stretch between the Talimena Scenic Drive access, the JFK memorial (interesting story behind that, and timely for this past month, too) and the "three sticks".  I can't imagine them building an interstate along that roadway unless it was like that one (I-24? don't have time to look it up) between Manchester and Chattanooga, TN that has the tunnel.  SHEESH, that makes building the Arkansas FSM-Texarkana stretch look easy contemplating that.

codyg1985

Quote from: O Tamandua on December 03, 2013, 12:59:16 PM
Quote from: US71 on December 03, 2013, 12:19:21 PM
Quote from: Bill C on November 30, 2013, 07:05:43 PM

If I may be bold enough to offer a suggestion to the geographic difficulties of building through western Arkansas, why not simply build I-49 from Texarkana to Fort Smith  through eastern Oklahoma and link the new roadway at the southern current end of I-540?  It seems to me to be a way to save money and to build the road quicker (if Oklahoma is amenable to the prospect of the new interstate in their territory).  Oklahoma's hills are smaller and their terrain easier to surmount.  Go west young man...

Once upon a time, there was a proposal to extend I-540 into Oklahoma, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

There is already a section of I-49 set to open next year between Barling and south of Ft Smith.  There is also a proposal to reroute I-540 near exit 12 to connect to I-49, so having having 49 connect to 540 near the OK/AR Line seems a moot point.

Hoo, boy...I thought the same thing too, until I drove up and down the Oklahoma 59 stretch between the Talimena Scenic Drive access, the JFK memorial (interesting story behind that, and timely for this past month, too) and the "three sticks".  I can't imagine them building an interstate along that roadway unless it was like that one (I-24? don't have time to look it up) between Manchester and Chattanooga, TN that has the tunnel.  SHEESH, that makes building the Arkansas FSM-Texarkana stretch look easy contemplating that.

I-24 doesn't have a tunnel. Are you referring to Monteagle where each carriageway goes up each side of the mountain?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

O Tamandua

Indeed, thanks...the Monteagle split is what I was thinking of.  It's been so long since I've traveled on that I really thought I remembered a tunnel.  (Must have been thinking of the Norfolk Southern, which DOES have a tunnel parallel to the Interstate north of Chattanooga.)

M86

Quote from: bjrush on December 03, 2013, 12:11:27 AM
Quote from: M86 on December 01, 2013, 03:29:22 AM

I want to see actual plans on AHTD's website.  For instance, the SPUI that will be constructed at Exit 85 on I-540 in NWA.  I just want to view the documents online.  I had to email a district engineer to view them.  More can be done with AHTD's website, but it's not horrible.  That's the least of the problems.

Those signs that you are referring to will also broadcast Amber Alerts, weather alerts, road closures, and civil emergencies... Every other state has them along Interstates.  If they are not included in the reconstruction of 540 in NWA, then we have a big problem.

AHTD doesn't even anticipate funding the SPUI project you referenced until 2015. I recently did some work related to the project and am somewhat familiar with it.

So you want to view plans of projects in the works in addition to bid projects, essentially? I suppose I wasn't aware that lots of DOTs upload plans during intermediate review submittals even prior to the finalized construction set.

I am not affiliated with AHTD, so I cannot speak to their hatred of street lights

It's in the STIP, and will be funded, and I've received documents pertaining to it... And I already know that it's going to be at least 2015.

And yes, I want the basic information, and any plans should be on AHTD's website... Public meetings, etc.  If I-540 is being widened, or a certain interchange is going to be upgraded, I expect to see it on the state transportation site, with info... Where else would I go for info?

Yeah, well, I will forever drive in the dark here! :)

US71

Quote from: M86 on December 04, 2013, 04:44:39 AM

And yes, I want the basic information, and any plans should be on AHTD's website... Public meetings, etc.  If I-540 is being widened, or a certain interchange is going to be upgraded, I expect to see it on the state transportation site, with info... Where else would I go for info?

Yeah, well, I will forever drive in the dark here! :)

540 in Ft Smith is getting new exit signs, I can tell you that much ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

M86

Quote from: US71 on December 04, 2013, 05:16:48 AM

So, Fort Smith will get their first taste of Clearview?

US71

Quote from: M86 on December 04, 2013, 05:44:53 AM
Quote from: US71 on December 04, 2013, 05:16:48 AM

So, Fort Smith will get their first taste of Clearview?

Quite possibly, yes.

Right now, AHTD is just putting in the footings. I doubt we'll see anything until the rubbish reconstruction job is finished.

O Tamandua

If this was posted earlier on this thread, my apologies.  The Kansas City Southern is building a new concrete bridge over the Red River above Texarkana to replace one of those "Jimi Hendrix bridges" (named by me as when I see an old iron bridge with metal code wire poles atop it I think of this scene (0:58 mark of the video, sorry you have to wade through a stupid song to get to it) from "Easy Rider" with Hendrix singing "If six was nine") on the railroad.  The person on the Facebook group who posted the new/old KCS bridge pictures said that a group is wanting to put a lock and dam on the Red right above or near Texarkana to make that river navigable for barges to that point, largely as a result of future I-49.  (I've seen how dry and small the Red can get in west Bowie County, TX so it seems to me that is pushing it, but given that the Little River flows into the Red a few miles downriver in Arkansas I can see where it could happen.)

Don't know if that will happen but if so, another feather in the cap potentially for TXK and I-49.

Road Hog

Quote from: O Tamandua on December 04, 2013, 10:46:09 AM
If this was posted earlier on this thread, my apologies.  The Kansas City Southern is building a new concrete bridge over the Red River above Texarkana to replace one of those "Jimi Hendrix bridges" (named by me as when I see an old iron bridge with metal code wire poles atop it I think of this scene (0:58 mark of the video, sorry you have to wade through a stupid song to get to it) from "Easy Rider" with Hendrix singing "If six was nine") on the railroad.  The person on the Facebook group who posted the new/old KCS bridge pictures said that a group is wanting to put a lock and dam on the Red right above or near Texarkana to make that river navigable for barges to that point, largely as a result of future I-49.  (I've seen how dry and small the Red can get in west Bowie County, TX so it seems to me that is pushing it, but given that the Little River flows into the Red a few miles downriver in Arkansas I can see where it could happen.)

Don't know if that will happen but if so, another feather in the cap potentially for TXK and I-49.

They'd need at least two additional locks and dams to get the Red navigable to that point. It's only navigable to Shreveport now. Maybe Landrieu and Pryor can hook up to get something done like Kerr and McClellan did on the Arkansas.

M86

I received this reply back from AHTD, concerning the I-540 widening in Northwest Arkansas:

The study you reference recommends I-540 to be widened to four lanes in each direction in select areas only. At this time we are not proceeding with that and will widen to three lanes. The study will probably be revisited once the current improvements are in place.

You would think that AHTD would have learned their lesson with current I-540, and the Bella Vista Bypass.  Do it right the first time, and you'll save money in the long run.

US71

Quote from: M86 on December 19, 2013, 12:24:54 AM
I received this reply back from AHTD, concerning the I-540 widening in Northwest Arkansas:

The study you reference recommends I-540 to be widened to four lanes in each direction in select areas only. At this time we are not proceeding with that and will widen to three lanes. The study will probably be revisited once the current improvements are in place.

You would think that AHTD would have learned their lesson with current I-540, and the Bella Vista Bypass.  Do it right the first time, and you'll save money in the long run.

I just saw on the news last night that AHTD is about so start work on extra lanes from Wagon Wheel Road to AR 264 in Lowell.
http://www.4029tv.com/news/arkansas/northwest/highway-department-to-expand-i540-to-six-lanes/-/8897460/23558078/-/isva70z/-/index.html

Gordon

The Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department said it could be years before the Intestate 49 project is completed through the River Valley. As construction continues, the department is seeking funds to complete a bridge over the Arkansas River and to connect I-49 to Interstate 40. "I know there are several leaders here in Fort Smith pushing for funding to be identified,"  said Chad Adams, district engineer for the state highway department. Adams said  six jobs have been added to complete construction of  the section of I-49 between U.S. 71 and Arkansas 22. That section should be opened by mid-2014, he said. Adams said project cost estimates for Arkansas' portion of I-49 come in at about $96 million. Adams said once the project is completed, motorists will see big improvements.
Also AHTD is looking for funding to complete the Bella Vista Bypass. They said about 50 million is needed with the 1/2 cent tax money they are to spend on it. Doesn't look good for quick progress.

M86

Quote from: Gordon on December 25, 2013, 07:34:00 PM
The Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department said it could be years before the Intestate 49 project is completed through the River Valley. As construction continues, the department is seeking funds to complete a bridge over the Arkansas River and to connect I-49 to Interstate 40. "I know there are several leaders here in Fort Smith pushing for funding to be identified,"  said Chad Adams, district engineer for the state highway department. Adams said  six jobs have been added to complete construction of  the section of I-49 between U.S. 71 and Arkansas 22. That section should be opened by mid-2014, he said. Adams said project cost estimates for Arkansas' portion of I-49 come in at about $96 million. Adams said once the project is completed, motorists will see big improvements.
Also AHTD is looking for funding to complete the Bella Vista Bypass. They said about 50 million is needed with the 1/2 cent tax money they are to spend on it. Doesn't look good for quick progress.

I-49 between Fort Smith and Texarkana won't be completed in my lifetime, and I'm 27.  I guarantee it.  Who wants to place bets? :)

AHTD needs to focus on the population areas (outside of Little Rock), like the Bella Vista Bypass.  This bypass should have been done years ago.

Also, *cough* Clean house *cough* comes to mind.  I've always sensed a "good ol' boy network" within AHTD.  I know that Dick Trammel needs to go.  He has done NOTHING for this area.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/commission.aspx Why is it 10 year terms?  No wonder our highway system is the way it is.

Sorry.  It was good to vent.

O Tamandua

Quote from: M86 on December 28, 2013, 05:31:38 AM
Quote from: Gordon on December 25, 2013, 07:34:00 PM

I-49 between Fort Smith and Texarkana won't be completed in my lifetime, and I'm 27.  I guarantee it.  Who wants to place bets? :)

AHTD needs to focus on the population areas (outside of Little Rock), like the Bella Vista Bypass.  This bypass should have been done years ago.

Also, *cough* Clean house *cough* comes to mind.  I've always sensed a "good ol' boy network" within AHTD.  I know that Dick Trammel needs to go.  He has done NOTHING for this area.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/commission.aspx Why is it 10 year terms?  No wonder our highway system is the way it is.

Sorry.  It was good to vent.

Indeed, I saw a census estimate that the four county Northwest Arkansas metro area now has 500,000 people (not counting the 300,000 in the adjacent Fort Smith metro area, tied in so many ways to "NWA").  How many other half-million people metro areas don't have a through interstate?  (Which could have been completed years ago when Missouri was ready, had not Arkansas played Keystone Kop.)

A sad note for an area that has so many other things going for it.  And possibly could have a LOT more going right now were I-49 fully linking it between Joplin and metro Fort Smith.

M86

Agreed.  Northwest Arkansas is unique in that there is no solid city with suburbs.  It's just a mess of cities, competing against each other.

Bobby5280

If the cities in NW AR keep growing the way they're growing the highway infrastructure will be forced to improve to keep up with it. The big question is which highways in the region will be built or improved first? If AHTD can't find a way to build their portion of I-49 anytime in the foreseeable future improvements in some other corridors may pick up some of the slack. For instance, growth in both Dallas-Fort Worth and NW Arkansas could eventually force US-69 and US-412 in Oklahoma to be improved to Interstate standards.

Gordon

The Bella Vista Bypass construction project from Hwy. 72 South to the future Hwy 71, I 540 Interchange is scheduled for 2/26/2014. It will be only 2 lanes of future I 49. Hopefully they will keep their commitment.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 27, 2013, 09:23:56 AM
this article (behind paywall) reports that AHTD has already submitted its application to FHWA, FHWA has signaled that approval should be effective by Christmas, and that, after approval, "it will take a while longer before the new signs go up and the old ones come down":
Doug Hecox, a spokesman for the Federal Highway Administration, said Christmas is possible.
"I think that sounds like a very reasonable goal,"  he said.
"The proposal from the state is still being reviewed, so we don't have any way to ballpark how long it'll take."

A recent email Q & A with FHWA's Washington office indicates that the above information may be incorrect and that AHTD has not even submitted an application to FHWA:

As you are probably aware, the redesignations of I-540 and AR 549 as I-49 were conditionally approved by AASHTO this Fall (2013), however the Federal Highway Administrator has not formally received a redesignation request.  Once an official request is submitted for the Administrator's determination through our Arkansas Federal-Aid Division Office it will be reviewed and processed accordingly.

I wonder if AHTD even realizes that it has not properly submitted an application to FHWA?

edit

Or, maybe FHWA's Arkansas Federal-Aid Division Office is still reviewing it. Glacial progress.

Alps

Quote from: Grzrd on January 08, 2014, 05:52:25 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on October 27, 2013, 09:23:56 AM
this article (behind paywall) reports that AHTD has already submitted its application to FHWA, FHWA has signaled that approval should be effective by Christmas, and that, after approval, "it will take a while longer before the new signs go up and the old ones come down":
Doug Hecox, a spokesman for the Federal Highway Administration, said Christmas is possible.
"I think that sounds like a very reasonable goal,"  he said.
"The proposal from the state is still being reviewed, so we don't have any way to ballpark how long it'll take."

A recent email Q & A with FHWA's Washington office indicates that the above information may be incorrect and that AHTD has not even submitted an application to FHWA:

As you are probably aware, the redesignations of I-540 and AR 549 as I-49 were conditionally approved by AASHTO this Fall (2013), however the Federal Highway Administrator has not formally received a redesignation request.  Once an official request is submitted for the Administrator's determination through our Arkansas Federal-Aid Division Office it will be reviewed and processed accordingly.

I wonder if AHTD even realizes that it has not properly submitted an application to FHWA?

edit

Or, maybe FHWA's Arkansas Federal-Aid Division Office is still reviewing it. Glacial progress.
We can now ask AHTD! They're on the forum!

AHTD

Currently we are working with the FHWA local division office to formally submit the application to that agency. We submitted an initial application to the local division office late last year and continue to work with this office to finalize the document. Essentially, the local division office is helping to guide AHTD through the application process.

In the fall of 2013, AHTD applied for I-49 designation in multiple locations during the annual meeting of the AASHTO U.S. Route Numbering Committee (see link to PDF map below). AASHTO is an organization of peers and as such, the peers on the U.S. Route Numbering Committee review requests made by member organizations. The peer review of AHTD's request was favorable and resulted in a committee recommendation that will be included as part of the application to FHWA.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Route_Request.pdf
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

bjrush

I would like to say that its awesome AHTD is on this forum

:cheers:
Woo Pig Sooie

M86

Quote from: bjrush on January 13, 2014, 05:33:42 PM

Will they answer the hard questions from us on the forum?  We'll see.  They didn't respond to mine.

US71

Quote from: M86 on January 14, 2014, 12:31:34 AM
Quote from: bjrush on January 13, 2014, 05:33:42 PM

Will they answer the hard questions from us on the forum?  We'll see.  They didn't respond to mine.

I usually just e-mail them directly and get a response in 1-2 days.

AHTD

You have questions?

Please feel free to ask anything, we are here to provide the answers.

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

txstateends

OK, *if* the $$ was there right now for AR to finish I-49, how soon could what's left to do (Fort Smith-Texarkana, Ark. River bridge, Red River bridge, full 4-laning of the Bella Vista bypass) be built and opened?
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.