News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-264: Henry Watterson Expressway/Georgia Powers Expressway

Started by CardInLex, September 12, 2020, 09:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CardInLex

New APL signage is in place on the Watterson eastbound at I-64. I will try to get a picture soon. It took me by surprise today.

I-264 West (three up arrows) | I-64 West Louisville (up arrow of an up/right) | I-64 East Lexington (right arrow of up/right and a right EXIT ONLY arrow)

Alex

Quote from: CardInLex on September 12, 2020, 09:01:34 PM
New APL signage is in place on the Watterson eastbound at I-64. I will try to get a picture soon. It took me by surprise today.

I-264 West (three up arrows) | I-64 West Louisville (up arrow of an up/right) | I-64 East Lexington (right arrow of up/right and a right EXIT ONLY arrow)

That must have just gone up within the last five days, as I photographed all of I-264 eastbound a week ago today and westbound the day after and don't see it.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alex on September 14, 2020, 09:17:08 AM
Quote from: CardInLex on September 12, 2020, 09:01:34 PM

That must have just gone up within the last five days, as I photographed all of I-264 eastbound a week ago today and westbound the day after and don't see it.

Saw a press release mentioning the signage work just the other day.

https://lnks.gd/2/LZJRMr

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CardInLex

It was in the last 5 days, definitely.

I don't really like it because as signed it implies the second lane from right exits only to I-64 West but in reality it continues on to the US 60/Shelbyville Rd exit.

CardInLex

KYTC has posted initial results of a planning study for the I-264 at I-65, Preston Highway/KY 61, Fair/Expo Center, Airport, Crittenden Drive interchange(s).

Short term strategies include new pavement markings, APL signs, new "enhanced"  striping at decision points, high visibility striping, LED lighting conversion, high friction surfaces, and new guardrails.

Long term strategies are either removing or reconfiguring the Preston Highway on ramps, reconfiguring the I-65 north off ramp to I-264 east, reconfiguring exit 12 (eastbound), reconfiguring I-65 south off ramp, and reconfiguring the I-264 west to I-65 south loop ramp into a larger loop.*

*I know most people would prefer a fly over ramp. But since the ramp is at the end of the runway for Muhammad Ali International going up isn't possible. And going under would likely be astronomically costly.

Thoughts?

https://transportation.ky.gov/DistrictFive/Pages/I-65_I-264_Interchange_Planning_Study.aspx 

seicer

I would agree - this is probably one of the worst locations for an interchange anywhere. It's at the end of a runway and is geographically constrained by an ever-busier airport and intense development around it. I suppose it could take out more of the Expo land but you still can't build vertically to a large extent.

CardInLex

New APL on I-264 E approaching US 60/Shelbyville Road. New APL's seem to be popping up all around Louisville in recent months.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.