News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bridge collapse in Wash. is wake-up call

Started by cpzilliacus, May 26, 2013, 02:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Quote from: Topic
wake-up call

Quote from: NE2 on June 25, 2013, 01:30:07 PM
yawn

Sounds like NE2 needs another wake-up call.  He can be reached at 1-800-872-7245.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

To be fair to NE2, the piece Cpzilliacus linked to has an axe to grind, as is indicated by the shot against unions.  PennDOT is a pretty obvious whipping boy, but to portray GDOT--whose rural four-laning program has attracted much criticism on here--as a model of fiscal prudence . . . really?

The problem with relying on the marginal fuel tax rate and nothing else is that it does not relate directly to the revenues actually spent on state highways or to their needs.  In order to do that it is necessary to take into account statutorily mandated revenue distributions and distill that down to incomings and outgoings per maintained centerline mile for various typical cross-sections, and no advocacy piece will ever embarrass its audience with that much detail.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hm insulators

Quote from: txstateends on May 26, 2013, 06:44:46 PM
Hmmmm, and I thought the I-35W bridge collapse in Minneapolis was supposed to be a 'wake-up call'......

And I have the feeling that after the new bridge is built in Washington, everybody will hit the snooze button until the next similar tragedy.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

vdeane

I think PA's biggest problem is that they divert highway money to other areas, such as city beautification.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SteveG1988

The problem there was, the driver was not paying attention, the fix would be for an overheight alarm ahead of it, perhaps at the exit right before the span, that way they were warned, also improve the signage of the height of a span, a yellow sign with warning lights (2 per side, flashing diagonally) would probably have helped.

Also, does anybody have any idea on what his alt route should have been? Where if someone was doing their homework, that truck would have been on a different span?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

kkt

Quote from: SteveG1988 on June 26, 2013, 05:12:12 PM
The problem there was, the driver was not paying attention, the fix would be for an overheight alarm ahead of it, perhaps at the exit right before the span, that way they were warned, also improve the signage of the height of a span, a yellow sign with warning lights (2 per side, flashing diagonally) would probably have helped.

Also, does anybody have any idea on what his alt route should have been? Where if someone was doing their homework, that truck would have been on a different span?

The oversize truck would have fit if it had been in the left lane.  (Is it normal procedure for oversize trucks to use a route where only one of the lanes will allow it to clear?)

The detours for overheight and overweight vehicles now are:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/commercialVehicle/Restrictions/

QuoteI-5, MP: 230 to 225, Direction: S
Date Effective:   6/19/2013 12:00 AM
Detour availability:   N
Permanent restriction:   Y
Name: I-5 - Skagit River Bridge -Southbound
Description: I-5, MP 230-225
Comments:
I-5 Southbound milepost 230 to Milepost to Milepost 225 - No over legal axle weights allowed. Legal Loads only. 105,500 lbs. Total Weight Limit. Oversize loads prohibited. Overweight loads prohibited. Detour Southbound I-5: **LEGAL HEIGHT LOADS ONLY** Take exit 229; Turn left onto George Hopper Rd.; Turn right onto southbound Burlington Blvd. that becomes Riverside Ave.; Turn right onto westbound College Way (SR538); turn left onto southbound I-5. Height restriction at I-5 undercrossing (SR 538 MP .1) Restriction legal height only! Loads may travel during daytime hours, loads over 11ft wide or over 100 ft. long, must have 1 front and 1 rear pilot. Detour Southbound I-5: **OVER HEIGHT LOADS** Consider SR 9 as an alternate route. Local detours maybe considered by contacting 360-848-7230.

QuoteI-5, MP: 225 to 230, Direction: N
Date Effective:   6/19/2013 12:00 AM
Detour availability:   N
Permanent restriction:   Y
Description: I-5, MP 225-230
Comments:
I-5 Northbound milepost 225 to Milepost 230 - No over legal axle weights allowed. Legal Loads only. 105,500 lbs. Total Weight Limit. Oversize loads prohibited. Overweight loads prohibited. Detour Northbound I-5: Take exit 227; turn right onto eastbound College Way (SR 538); turn left onto northbound Riverside Ave. that becomes Burlington Blvd.; turn left onto westbound George Hopper Rd.: turn right onto northbound I-5. Loads may travel during daylight hours. Loads over 11ft wide or 100 ft. long must have 1 front and 1 rear pilot.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.