News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 55/ Crump Boulevard Interchange

Started by Grzrd, May 26, 2017, 02:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: sparker on May 25, 2017, 04:52:30 PM
So whatever happened to the I-55/Crump upgrade?  IIRC, plans were published that showed the details of the rework -- as of a few short years ago, this seemed to be a done deal!  Obviously funding (and in-state priorities) had something to do with the inaction here -- if any local/regional posters have any further info regarding this project's status, please let the rest of us know! (apologies for using this thread to ask a Mid-South question)
(above quote from I-67: TN, KY, IN thread)

I decided to start a Mid-South thread for a Mid-South question. Here is the latest from TDOT:

http://www.tn.gov/tdot/topic/i-55-crump

The project is temporarily on hold for the reasons stated in the link.

sparker

Quote from: Grzrd on May 26, 2017, 02:44:34 PM
Quote from: sparker on May 25, 2017, 04:52:30 PM
So whatever happened to the I-55/Crump upgrade?  IIRC, plans were published that showed the details of the rework -- as of a few short years ago, this seemed to be a done deal!  Obviously funding (and in-state priorities) had something to do with the inaction here -- if any local/regional posters have any further info regarding this project's status, please let the rest of us know! (apologies for using this thread to ask a Mid-South question)
(above quote from I-67: TN, KY, IN thread)

I decided to start a Mid-South thread for a Mid-South question. Here is the latest from TDOT:

http://www.tn.gov/tdot/topic/i-55-crump

The project is temporarily on hold for the reasons stated in the link.

So it looks like the last physical traffic counts done at/near the location didn't correspond with the modeling algorithm of the Memphis MPO planners -- and either they're going to change the projection methodology, take another physical count, or both.  Sounds like a way to affect a postponement until they actually have available funding -- or, in an alternate scenario, there are factions in the MPO (or elsewhere in the TN transportation arena) who don't think this project (which does principally benefit out-of-state traffic movement) warrants priority.  Either way, it looks like I-55 NB traffic will be "looping it" for the near term. 

intelati49

:-D

I actually looked this up a week ago. (Before this thread was made)

We drove around the interchange (SB I-55) and I thought "why isn't this project started yet?" :pan:

Even my family was like "Wow, this is awfully narrow roadway here"

bwana39

It seems to still slowly be inching through the process. Hopefully it might even be a priority item in Biden's idea of infrastructure.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/02/16/i-55-crump-boulevard-update.html
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

codyg1985

Quote from: bwana39 on April 28, 2021, 12:16:00 PM
It seems to still slowly be inching through the process. Hopefully it might even be a priority item in Biden's idea of infrastructure.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/02/16/i-55-crump-boulevard-update.html

Just imagine if this project would have been under construction as originally proposed with the I-55 bridge being closed and then the I-40 bridge fracture occurred. That would have been crippling for Memphis and beyond.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 13, 2021, 04:17:45 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on April 28, 2021, 12:16:00 PM

Just imagine if this project would have been under construction as originally proposed with the I-55 bridge being closed and then the I-40 bridge fracture occurred. That would have been crippling for Memphis and beyond.

I made that point on the other thread.  The only real option is a new southern bridge first.

Avalanchez71

Wayward Memphian

bwana39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 15, 2021, 07:45:05 AM
Why not add ferry service?

Don't think ferry service is a good fit for an interstate. Besides. The bank structure on the Tennessee side is nor really conducive for it.  The river is too swift too.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on May 15, 2021, 08:42:05 AM

That's funny

Any solution other than to build, maintain, or repair roads/bridges with this one.

roadman65

I do not know why they don't build a bridge at the west end of MS 304.  Extend the freeway into AR and make it tie into I-40 west of West Memphis.   You could apply I-269 to it or make it another x40 interstate.  Then you would have another route for I-55 NB to I-40 WB, or EB I-40 to I-55 SB and have a three quarter  outer beltway around Memphis.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

Quote from: MikieTimT on May 15, 2021, 11:51:48 AM

That's funny

Any solution other than to build, maintain, or repair roads/bridges with this one.

I think they should repair the Desoto bridge.  I just don't agree with a I-69 or I-269 additional bridge.

sprjus4

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 15, 2021, 01:03:56 PM

That's funny

I think they should repair the Desoto bridge.  I just don't agree with a I-69 or I-269 additional bridge.
Redundancy is needed across the river. There's only 2 bridges in a hundred mile span, let alone those in a major urban area. What happens when both I-40 and I-55 fail?

bwana39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 15, 2021, 01:03:56 PM

That's funny

At some point, they are going to have to replace both of them. The M&A was opened in 1949. It is 72 + years old. The HDB was opened in 1973. It is 48+ years old. It makes a lot of sense to build an additional span and then when replacement or major overhaul is required, that closing it will not be so painful. The capacity of the M&A is already a problem even before the HDB was closed. A new span just south of Memphis would solve much if not all of that capacity issue.

rte66man

Reopen the Harahan lanes!!!  <ducks for cover>  :bigass:
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

froggie

Quote from: rte66man on May 15, 2021, 03:50:19 PM

They already did.  It's the only way to bike across the Mississippi for 200 miles (Helena, AR to the south and Cairo, IL to the north...the I-155 bridge prohibits bikes).

Finrod

Quote from: roadman65 on May 15, 2021, 11:57:01 AM
I do not know why they don't build a bridge at the west end of MS 304.  Extend the freeway into AR and make it tie into I-40 west of West Memphis.   You could apply I-269 to it or make it another x40 interstate.  Then you would have another route for I-55 NB to I-40 WB, or EB I-40 to I-55 SB and have a three quarter  outer beltway around Memphis.

I would presume that it's because Mississippi and Arkansas would have to build it, and neither of them have any motivation to spend money to make traffic better in Tennessee.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

sprjus4

I honestly think the previously proposed crossing tying into TN-300 (the stub where I-69 would split off I-40) would be a reasonable proposal to be built, as opposed to the outer crossings. Less new location freeway needed on the Arkansas side.

Wayward Memphian

Get all three states a piece. Go south of West Memphis across Presidents Islandand curve it down to US 61 at the MS. Line and upgrade it to interstate standard to the I- 69 junction. There's huge container port proposed for the old Allen Fossil Fuel plant on President's along with CN's intermodal yard. Would make a good route for I-22 one day to continue through Arkansas. The road should connect to I-40 between Lehi and the US 79 south exit. Extend it north to US 64 and near the UP intermodal and eventually up to I-55/I-5544 around between Clarkdale and Turrell where it would eventually then meet a new northern crossing one day.

Anywho, Rep Crawford's words here:
"There's some question about the global integrity of this structure. So, we're going to have to start having a conversation about the costs associated with a new bridge, and then, are we in a position now with the amount of the volume of traffic that traverses the Mississippi River at that point, do we need to think about a third bridge? And, so this is a major national concern because of the significance of this logistics hub."

bwana39

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 16, 2021, 05:56:44 AM
I honestly think the previously proposed crossing tying into TN-300 (the stub where I-69 would split off I-40) would be a reasonable proposal to be built, as opposed to the outer crossings. Less new location freeway needed on the Arkansas side.

The river and the oxbow lakes are way too wide / involved there.  A bridge in that location would be more expensive than any amount of road that would be built to the south. Not to mention the airport it would have to close.

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on May 16, 2021, 03:23:28 PM
Get all three states a piece. Go south of West Memphis across Presidents Islandand curve it down to US 61 at the MS. Line and upgrade it to interstate standard to the I- 69 junction. There's huge container port proposed for the old Allen Fossil Fuel plant on President's along with CN's intermodal yard. Would make a good route for I-22 one day to continue through Arkansas. The road should connect to I-40 between Lehi and the US 79 south exit. Extend it north to US 64 and near the UP intermodal and eventually up to I-55/I-5544 around between Clarkdale and Turrell where it would eventually then meet a new northern crossing one day.

Anywho, Rep Crawford's words here:
"There's some question about the global integrity of this structure. So, we're going to have to start having a conversation about the costs associated with a new bridge, and then, are we in a position now with the amount of the volume of traffic that traverses the Mississippi River at that point, do we need to think about a third bridge? And, so this is a major national concern because of the significance of this logistics hub."

While the idea of sharing the costs might be notable, the route stinks AND the more principals you involve, the greater the problems.
I think the US congress should give them the 80 or 90 percent specifically for a bridge. Then, I bet they come up with their cost sharing portions whatever it takes....

codyg1985

Quote from: froggie on May 15, 2021, 11:18:06 PM
Quote from: rte66man on May 15, 2021, 03:50:19 PM

They already did.  It's the only way to bike across the Mississippi for 200 miles (Helena, AR to the south and Cairo, IL to the north...the I-155 bridge prohibits bikes).

I saw a post on the Memphis subreddit where they had to close the Big River crossing due to motorcycles trying to use it to bypass the I-55 traffic.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

The Ghostbuster

I do like that they will eliminate Exit 12C since I think it is too close to the Crump Blvd./Riverside Dr. interchange. If they ever do replace the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge, the new bridge should have full shoulders on both sides.

sprjus4

Agreed, and a minimum of 3 lanes in each direction, ideally 4. Same with the I-40 bridge.

sparker

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 17, 2021, 01:42:49 PM
Agreed, and a minimum of 3 lanes in each direction, ideally 4. Same with the I-40 bridge.

Since I-55 -- and I-240 beyond their shared interchange -- is the direct truck route from the west to the FedEx hub as well as the rail offloading facilities in the south end of Memphis -- dedicated truck lanes might be a part of any full-scale expansion of the river crossing itself -- possibly a 3rd (or even 3rd/4th) parallel span, with one or more reserved for trucks.  Crump east of the 55 interchange is a direct route to a number of these offload facilities (CN, BNSF/CSX in particular) so a significant portion of the commercial traffic would likely diverge from I-55 at that location.   

sprjus4

In that case, two truck and two car lanes in each direction could work. Question is how you tie into the Crump interchange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.