News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-40 in North Carolina

Started by wdcrft63, February 25, 2023, 06:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

I am aware of projects for the rebuild of Exit 118 and an exit near Claremont, along with a Catawba River Bridge replacement still slowly moving up the list.  The replaced bridges at the 2 interchanges  are being built for 6 lanes on 40, but these projects seem more driven by the bridge being shot than capacity deficiencies.

Strider

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on April 23, 2023, 10:59:39 PM
I am aware of projects for the rebuild of Exit 118 and an exit near Claremont, along with a Catawba River Bridge replacement still slowly moving up the list.  The replaced bridges at the 2 interchanges  are being built for 6 lanes on 40, but these projects seem more driven by the bridge being shot than capacity deficiencies.

A new exit on I-40 near Claremont?

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: Strider on April 24, 2023, 01:39:21 AM

No, rebuild of existing, I wanted to say Rock Barn Rd, but could not find for sure

Strider

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on April 24, 2023, 03:44:54 PM

No, rebuild of existing, I wanted to say Rock Barn Rd, but could not find for sure

You're correct. It is the bridge replacement for Rock Barn Rd. (Exit 133) over I-40. Found the link below.
https://ncdot.publicinput.com/W7066

LM117

Good news regarding the I-40 widening project between southeast Raleigh and Clayton. All new lanes between I-440 and US-70 (Clayton Bypass) are now open.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-04-26-i-40-new-lanes-garner-clayton-open.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

architect77

Quote from: LM117 on April 26, 2023, 10:16:05 AM
Good news regarding the I-40 widening project between southeast Raleigh and Clayton. All new lanes between I-440 and US-70 (Clayton Bypass) are now open.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-04-26-i-40-new-lanes-garner-clayton-open.aspx

I drove this last night. Overall nice and wide. One overhead gantry in each direction has crooked mounted signs which I'm going to email them about.

Otherwise, they have installed reflectors along the lane lines, however the roadway Eastbound leaving Raleigh just scratched off the temporary lane lines during construction. It looks horrible. Will they leave it like this or will a final asphalt layer be added (which will require the reflectors to be removed and reinstalled0?

wdcrft63

NCDOT has opened all lanes of I-40 through the Pigeon River Gorge, after a months-long period of one lane in each direction supporting bridge replacements. Best news: this work is ahead of schedule.

wdcrft63

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 19, 2023, 07:28:08 PM
NCDOT has opened all lanes of I-40 through the Pigeon River Gorge, after a months-long period of one lane in each direction supporting bridge replacements. Best news: this work is ahead of schedule.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-05-19-all-lanes-open-i-40-pigeon-river-gorge.aspx

OracleUsr

Quote from: Strider on April 25, 2023, 01:42:03 AM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on April 24, 2023, 03:44:54 PM

You're correct. It is the bridge replacement for Rock Barn Rd. (Exit 133) over I-40. Found the link below.
https://ncdot.publicinput.com/W7066

Yeah, until 1977 I-40 used to end there.  My parents and I used to ride to Knoxville and had to work our way through Conover.  That's why for a very long time, Hickory was used as a control city for I-40 West from I-77 in Statesville, where it's now Asheville.

Interesting add note.  Similar to I-40's fate, I-77 used to end in Elkin at what I believe was exit 83, so I-40's signage for I-77 used Elkin instead of Wytheville which is what it is now.

That old bridge on Rock Barn sure did need a tune up.  I think it's been the same design since 1976.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

ARMOURERERIC

Looking at old maps, I never could understand why the original section of 40 from Conover to Statesville was not extended initially west to the old US 70, Highland Avenue path.

wdcrft63

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on May 20, 2023, 08:03:05 PM
Looking at old maps, I never could understand why the original section of 40 from Conover to Statesville was not extended initially west to the old US 70, Highland Avenue path.
$$$. The road was built in the late 1950s when North Carolina didn't have anything like the resources it has now.

wriddle082

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 19, 2023, 07:29:11 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 19, 2023, 07:28:08 PM
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-05-19-all-lanes-open-i-40-pigeon-river-gorge.aspx

Thank goodness!  The bridge desperately needed rebuilding, but this was an inconvenience, depending on the time of day.  They did post travel time portable VMS's along westbound 40 in and east of Asheville, but they didn't help when you were approaching from I-26.  I rediscovered the US 25/70 corridor during this time, which certainly wasn't the worst detour in the world.

fillup420

Quote from: wriddle082 on May 21, 2023, 08:50:57 AM
I rediscovered the US 25/70 corridor during this time, which certainly wasn't the worst detour in the world.

I've used the US 25/70 corridor as a detour multiple times. It is a godsend, and it seems that most drivers aren't aware of its effectiveness as a detour for I-40 through the gorge. GPS will show looong backups on 40, but 25/70 will still be a calm and easy drive.

architect77

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 20, 2023, 10:17:48 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on May 20, 2023, 08:03:05 PM
$$$. The road was built in the late 1950s when North Carolina didn't have anything like the resources it has now.

But, at the dawn of the automobile era, North Carolina, with the new moniker "The Good Roads State", had the most miles of paved road of any state.

The interstates were built in small sections in all states. I-40 East ended at Raleigh's beltline when I was in college in 1990.

sprjus4

I-40 east of Greensboro was not apart of the original interstate system, it was added in 1968 and not even finalized alignment south of Raleigh (either to Morehead City or Wilmington) until the late 70s / early 80s.

Construction on Raleigh to Wilmington was completed in the late 80s / early 90s.

SectorZ

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 22, 2023, 01:09:55 AM
I-40 east of Greensboro was not apart of the original interstate system, it was added in 1968 and not even finalized alignment south of Raleigh (either to Morehead City or Wilmington) until the late 70s / early 80s.

Construction on Raleigh to Wilmington was completed in the late 80s / early 90s.

IIRC, wasn't part of the yet-to-be-opened 40 used in the movie 1986 Maximum Overdrive?

wdcrft63

NCDOT has awarded a contract for rehabilitation of I-40 between the I-26 and US 25 interchanges south of Asheville. This section includes the bridges over the French Broad River. Lane closures are to be "mostly"  at night.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-06-02-comprehensive-contract-i-40-buncombe.aspx

wriddle082

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 02, 2023, 05:44:54 PM
NCDOT has awarded a contract for rehabilitation of I-40 between the I-26 and US 25 interchanges south of Asheville. This section includes the bridges over the French Broad River. Lane closures are to be "mostly"  at night.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-06-02-comprehensive-contract-i-40-buncombe.aspx

This is the stretch that passes through Biltmore Estate, and if you're driving around in the estate, most of the I-40 overhead bridges have stone masonry facades (I think two out of three bridges that pass over access roads).  Hopefully that is not changed aside from needed maintenance, unless they make the third bridge look similar.

amroad17

Quote from: SectorZ on May 22, 2023, 07:32:47 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 22, 2023, 01:09:55 AM

IIRC, wasn't part of the yet-to-be-opened 40 used in the movie 1986 Maximum Overdrive?
Yes it was.  I believe it may have been the NC 210 interchange near Rocky Point for that one scene in the movie.  It looks similar to what I saw in the movie. https://goo.gl/maps/m5HfZSrKVAVhaSxK7

I also believe that a real Dixie Boy truck stop was used in the movie before it got blown up.

#Whomadewho?  #79degrees9:49amfuckyou  #Honey,sugarbunsthismachinejustcalledmeanasshole!
#Curtisareyoudead?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

wdcrft63

NCDOT surprises Chapel Hill with a plan to replace I-40's interchange with US 15/501 with a DDI, replacing a totally inadequate standard diamond. The plan includes building a new road parallel to 15/501 west of the DDI, connecting Eastowne Drive on the south to the New Hope Commons commercial area on the north. I-40 EB exit and WB entrance ramps would connect to this new road as well as 15/501.

Initial response in Chapel Hill is strongly negative, not to the DDI (almost anything that would help relieve traffic at this overburdened interchange would be welcome) but to the new road, which would interfere with existing plans to expand the UNC Health complex at Eastowne, increase traffic in that area, and cut through a forest area that serves as a natural buffer between I-40 traffic and Chapel Hill. There is particular concern/anger that NCDOT drew this plan with no consultation with town planners and is seeking quick approval from the town.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/orange-county/article276194786.html

Strider

I like the DDI for I-40/US 15-501 interchange, but why do the new road have to be added? It sounds very unnecessary, but of course this is NCDOT. smh.

wdcrft63

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 08, 2023, 09:07:05 AM
NCDOT surprises Chapel Hill with a plan to replace I-40's interchange with US 15/501 with a DDI, replacing a totally inadequate standard diamond. The plan includes building a new road parallel to 15/501 west of the DDI, connecting Eastowne Drive on the south to the New Hope Commons commercial area on the north. I-40 EB exit and WB entrance ramps would connect to this new road as well as 15/501.

Initial response in Chapel Hill is strongly negative, not to the DDI (almost anything that would help relieve traffic at this overburdened interchange would be welcome) but to the new road, which would interfere with existing plans to expand the UNC Health complex at Eastowne, increase traffic in that area, and cut through a forest area that serves as a natural buffer between I-40 traffic and Chapel Hill. There is particular concern/anger that NCDOT drew this plan with no consultation with town planners and is seeking quick approval from the town.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/orange-county/article276194786.html

Roadsguy

I thought they had long-range plans here for a freeway-to-freeway interchange, and to upgrade 15/501 to the north up to the current freeway section?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Roadsguy on June 08, 2023, 10:05:40 PM

I thought they had long-range plans here for a freeway-to-freeway interchange, and to upgrade 15/501 to the north up to the current freeway section?
For about 25 years NCDOT has had a plan for diamond interchange at Garrett Road, but it has never been funded. That would extend the freeway about a mile across New Hope Creek to Southwest Durham Drive. Another diamond may be possible there although recent development makes this difficult. From there to I-40 commercial development is intense and ramming a freeway through would be extremely expensive.

Here's a ca. 2020 plan from Durham County planners:
https://www.dchcmpo.org/home/show published document/910/637489616303270000

froggie

^ *note* remove the spaces between "show published document" to get to the actual PDF, like in this link.

Meanwhile, here's an interesting proposal from a 1994 study, though this one's probably DOA due to the aforementioned development north of I-40.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.