ICC Intercounty Connector

Started by Alex, August 27, 2009, 12:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

If they're anything like NYSDOT, we'll be waiting a while for those signs to be removed.  There are a TON on NY 17 and NY 15 signs in the southern tier that shouldn't be there and and the newer portions of I-86 (Horseheads to Jerusalem Hill and I-81 to NY 79) even have some signs that refer to NY 17 oblivious to the I-86 designation.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ShawnP

Staying Rockville just off I-370/MD-200 Toll. Reading back on the thread. I can understand why folks wouldn't want Toll all over the road. It just seems kinda monolithic to me. So where does one get a transponder? Will Maryland take money out if I don't use? With the Louisville bridges coming online soon. It's a investment that will be needed to be made.

froggie

Depends on if the Louisville Bridges will be compatible with EZPass.  Maryland uses EZPass.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: froggie on October 12, 2011, 09:59:13 PM
Depends on if the Louisville Bridges will be compatible with EZPass.  Maryland uses EZPass.

Going by the project's website, it looks like they are going with E-ZPass (logical because E-ZPass is already in use in Indiana).

hbelkins

Quote from: ShawnP on October 12, 2011, 09:28:58 PM
With the Louisville bridges coming online soon. It's a investment that will be needed to be made.

Soon? Aren't you the optimistic one?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ShawnP

Hey I suffer in Sherman Minton he!! everyday. So yes I'm hopeful this little cluster fudge kicks both states in on this project.

hbelkins

One good thing that may come of this is that perhaps it will shut the 8664 people up.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Revive 755

Quote from: hbelkins on October 17, 2011, 10:53:55 AM
One good thing that may come of this is that perhaps it will shut the 8664 people up.

Due to congestion on the I-65 bridge, or due to showing that there's a lot of through traffic on I-64?

For some reason I halfway expect the closure to make the 8664 people louder.

ShawnP

I'd like to 86 those losers from 8664.

DeaconG

Just came back from the ICC website...is there any coherent reason WHY they are dragging their feet on ending the ICC at US 1?  It doesn't seem to make any sense why they would end it on the street prior to US 1-wouldn't that cause a problem later on?
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

froggie

For the time being, the ICC will end at I-95, not at some local street.  The segment from I-95 to US 1 is deferred until some future point as a cost-saving measure.

DeaconG

Quote from: froggie on October 18, 2011, 12:49:40 PM
For the time being, the ICC will end at I-95, not at some local street.  The segment from I-95 to US 1 is deferred until some future point as a cost-saving measure.

Just sayin.
http://www.iccproject.com/contract-d-e.php
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

NE2

Virginia Manor Road is planned to be part of the MD 201 corridor. Hardly a local street.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

codyg1985

From Steve Anderson:

Hairline cracks found in three Intercounty Connector overpasses

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/hairline-cracks-found-in-three-intercounty-connector-overpasses/2011/10/18/gIQAzf5ZvL_story.html?wprss=rss_local

THIS is why you don't blindly follow models for engineering calculations. If your assumptions are bad, then the model is flawed.

"The State Highway Administration reviewed the engineering calculations that the designs were based on, she said, but not the actual computer model that designers used. The design firm's model made inaccurate assumptions about how the pier caps would attach to the bridges, she said."
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

NJRoadfan

Quote from: froggie on October 18, 2011, 12:49:40 PM

Maybe they'll have a grand plan to extend the loop east/southeast to US-50 by then..... or not.

froggie

That 'grand plan' existed in the '60s and '70s, but officially died about a decade ago.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on October 19, 2011, 04:08:03 AM
Virginia Manor Road is planned to be part of the MD 201 corridor. Hardly a local street.
Huh? Where's 201 going?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on October 19, 2011, 11:13:28 PM
Huh? Where's 201 going?

Please see this link on the Maryland SHA Web site: MD 201 Extended (Kenilworth Avenue)/US 1

Post Merge: December 31, 1969, 06:59:59 PM

WTOP Radio: Full Intercounty Connector to open soon; tolls not yet set

Quote from: froggie on October 19, 2011, 09:56:19 PM
That 'grand plan' existed in the '60s and '70s, but officially died about a decade ago.

Adam, as I understand it, SHA planned on studying the ICC at least as far east and south as U.S. 50 (John Hanson Highway) when it started the ill-fated 1992 DEIS process.  I have been told from a reliable source (former SHA staff engineer) that State Sen. Leo E. Green (D-23), now retired, went to then-SHA administrator Hal Kassoff and informed Kassoff that there would be issues raised in the General Assembly regarding the SHA budget if the ICC was studied anywhere east of U.S. 1, and Kassoff agreed to truncate the study at U.S. 1.

In the 1970's and 1980's, the National Capital Planning Commission (NCPC) put Maryland DOT and SHA on notice that it objected to the ICC being built east of U.S. 1 as well (the routing would have been through parts of the USDA Beltsville Agricultural Research Center and perhaps part of the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center).  The National Park Service also said that it did not want a new interchange between the ICC and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (and the late 1980's early 1990's Prince George's County master plan maps show the ICC crossing the Parkway without an interchange, and the connection being made Breezewood-style via arterial Md. 197 (Laurel-Bowie Road)).  When the M-NCP&PC Master Plan for the area (Subregion 1) was updated in the past 5 years, I believe the ICC (Route A-44 on the planning maps) was removed east of U.S. 1.

What was lost in all of the above is the deadly nature of Md. 197 between the B-W Parkway and the north side of Bowie, where the road is a winding two-lane arterial highway with heavy volumes of traffic, and a fair number of fatal or injury crashes as a result. 

Agreed.  The Final Environmental Impact Statement for the ICC shows a grade-separated half interchange at Virginia Manor Road and the ICC (exit from eastbound ICC to V-M Road and entrance from V-M Road to westbound ICC).

Even today, the future ramp from Virginia Manor Road to the westbound ICC has been built - for now, it will serve as a two-way access road (posted "Authorized Vehicles Only") for the MdTA Police and MdTA maintenance forces to get to and from the MdTA's ICC Eastern Operations Center (which is under construction).

Quote from: DeaconG on October 18, 2011, 11:37:02 AM
Just came back from the ICC website...is there any coherent reason WHY they are dragging their feet on ending the ICC at US 1?  It doesn't seem to make any sense why they would end it on the street prior to US 1-wouldn't that cause a problem later on?

The ICC's Request for Proposals for Contract D-E says that the new ICC segment will come at least as far east as Virginia Manor Road, with a grade-separated half-interchange at Virginia Manor road and an at-grade signalized intersection at U.S. 1 (Baltimore Avenue) "optionally" part of the contract.

I think the option depends on available money to build the (short) segment from Virginia Manor Road to U.S. 1.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

The Washington Post is reporting that the ICC will open to I-95 on November 22.

Alps

I heard a rumor that there will be another toll-free period for this ICC opening, but haven't found any substantiation. Tolling reportedly starts the first Sunday in December.

Duke87

Perfect! I'm going to be driving by there on the 25th. I think I just acquired a little detour.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

1995hoo

Quote from: Steve on October 28, 2011, 07:14:04 PM
I heard a rumor that there will be another toll-free period for this ICC opening, but haven't found any substantiation. Tolling reportedly starts the first Sunday in December.

This morning's paper suggested they'll just maintain the current toll for a time rather than raising it to factor in the added distance.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

According to today's press release, there will indeed be a toll-free period where all of the completed ICC is toll-free, through December 4.  Full tolling begins December 5 at the same rates-per-mile as the existing segment (25c/mi peak, 20c/mi off-peak, 10c/mi overnight).

cpzilliacus

Baltimore Sun coverage:

Fully open ICC to be free Nov. 22-Dec.4

ICC opening to bring regions closer

Post Merge: October 30, 2011, 03:30:52 AM

TOLLROADSnews:

Maryland's Inter County Connector to open fully Nov 22 - linking two interstates

QuoteDesign-build cost of the first segment was $479m and the second segment $1074m. The first DB team was led by Granite and the second by Kiewit (Contract B) and by Shirley (Contract C).  Bartlett told us that competitive pricing plus good management of the construction should allow them to move forward soon on the third and last segment of the project which adds collector distributor-lanes 2.4 miles up I-95 from the ICC ramps and repaves I-95 in the vicinity (Contract D) and does a short 0.9 mile extension of the ICC from I-95 east to US1 (Contract E.)
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.