News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sign Collecting

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 12, 2016, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 26, 2017, 09:33:46 PM
Other than eBay, what (if any) other sites could I use to buy route shield signs? I'm thinking of getting a sign now, and I want to be able to have as many options available to me as I can.

IDK about real, used-in-the-field signs (maybe Craigslist if you get lucky?), but if authenticity doesn't matter to you there are plenty of companies out there that will make signs for you. Example.

freebrickproductions

Does anyone know if ALDOT is willing to sell their old shields? I wouldn't mind picking up a few local ones if that's the case.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Max Rockatansky

Picked up something cool, a unposted construction CA 130 shield all decked out in orange.  Really a notable highway over to the Lick Observatory on Mount Hamilton, I never thought that I would find a shield...much less a weird one:

IMG_1217 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Lancaster6

For you guys in/around CT that ask where to find cheap signs...$15 for a 3'x3' CT 372 shield. https://hartford.craigslist.org/atq/6173583373.html

Max Rockatansky

Been awhile since I picked up a street blade:

IMG_2438 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

But when it just so happens to be a toss up between Sir Francis Drake Blvd or Panoramic Highway for being the most notable non-state route in Marin County why not?

4 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

US71

I found a place near Conway AR that has signs. He also suggested a place near Mountain Home, AR, with possibly some route shields

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on July 19, 2017, 09:46:40 PM
I found a place near Conway AR that has signs. He also suggested a place near Mountain Home, AR, with possibly some route shields
PM further info, please.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Max Rockatansky

Acquired a new CA 43 shield:

43CAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

MNHighwayMan

Two new additions arrived today, both of great import to me.

First, an MN-110 shield, as MnDOT is renumbering it as an MN-62 extension next summer.

Second, an MT-200 shield.

With this one, I now have 3/4 states for MSR 200 :) (Bonus if I can ever find an MT-200S shield.)

cjk374

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 30, 2017, 04:23:07 PM
Two new additions arrived today, both of great import to me.

First, an MN-110 shield, as MnDOT is renumbering it as an MN-62 extension next summer.

Second, an MT-200 shield.

With this one, I now have 3/4 states for MSR 200 :) (Bonus if I can ever find an MT-200S shield.)

Mark LA 200 off your list. We don't have any highways numbered in the 200s.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: cjk374 on October 30, 2017, 06:59:57 PM

It's not a collection of shields of highways numbered 200 in general, it's specifically the four-state (ID, MT, ND, MN) chain of highways #200 that runs from Ponderay, ID to the middle of nowhere, MN.

cjk374

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 30, 2017, 07:07:21 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on October 30, 2017, 06:59:57 PM

It's not a collection of shields of highways numbered 200 in general, it's specifically the four-state (ID, MT, ND, MN) chain of highways #200 that runs from Ponderay, ID to the middle of nowhere, MN.

Oh ok. I misunderstood. I thought you had collected 37 SR 200 shields.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

I just added two to my collection

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on October 30, 2017, 07:39:57 PM

That one of those non-reflective 66s was pumping out in the mid-1970s?   I have one hanging in my living room at home incidentally next to Oatman Highway and AZ 66.   

I just missed out on a CA 57 yesterday.  Really it's been slim pickings this past couple months.  Not a lot of things I want and they are overpriced when they do come up. 

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 30, 2017, 08:45:58 PM

That one of those non-reflective 66s was pumping out in the mid-1970s?   I have one hanging in my living room at home incidentally next to Oatman Highway and AZ 66.   

I just missed out on a CA 57 yesterday.  Really it's been slim pickings this past couple months.  Not a lot of things I want and they are overpriced when they do come up. 

It's the closest I'll get to the real thing for a while. And to a casual passer-by, they won't know the difference.

I have 3 searches on e-bay: road signs, traffic signs, highway signs

A lot catches my interest, but I have to decide how badly I want it and if I can afford it.

There is some duplication of listings, but I get a decent variety to look at.

MNHighwayMan

Lately, whenever I have enough saved up for this hobby, I just send Joe Koehler an email inquiring about what he has, or as was the case with the two I just posted today, inquiring about specific signs. Very rarely does anyone else ever have Minnesota signs for sale on eBay, it seems.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 30, 2017, 10:00:26 PM

Lately, whenever I have enough saved up for this hobby, I just send Joe Koehler an email inquiring about what he has, or as was the case with the two I just posted today, inquiring about specific signs. Very rarely does anyone else ever have Minnesota signs for sale on eBay, it seems.

The problem here is there is a ton of California stuff but only a couple people know what reasonable prices are.  I have a lot of the stuff I want already on top of it so waiting for something rare is generally what I'm focused on.  Michigan has been pretty good to me this year, last year I got a ton of Arizona stuff.  Maybe it's time to send Jake a message and see what he's got for this state?

MNHighwayMan

I did notice recently that he was putting a ton of stuff on eBay as well. Might be worth a try.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 30, 2017, 10:09:33 PM
I did notice recently that he was putting a ton of stuff on eBay as well. Might be worth a try.

Yeah I've noticed.  Usually it's his top shelf steel stuff that he usually posts.  I'd be fine with some select routes with more modern shield designs.  In general I had toon of luck with painted aluminum spades this year, I think a lot of Caltrans districts are finally replacing them with modern highway vinyl finally

Brian556

What reflectivity type are the stop signs letters?

US71

Quote from: Brian556 on October 30, 2017, 10:23:18 PM

What reflectivity type are the stop signs letters?

Silver colored reflective metal letters, appear to be fastened from the back.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on October 30, 2017, 09:14:11 PM

It's the closest I'll get to the real thing for a while. And to a casual passer-by, they won't know the difference.

I have 3 searches on e-bay: road signs, traffic signs, highway signs

A lot catches my interest, but I have to decide how badly I want it and if I can afford it.

There is some duplication of listings, but I get a decent variety to look at.

I use something similar:

highway sign
road sign
Interstate Sign

For some reason a lot of people list things like California spades as "Interstate" signs, generally they are a crap shoot with prices.  "Road Sign" seems to yield a lot of Michigan shields for some reason, one of the major sellers in the area never lists them as "highway" for some reason.

My ILDOT 66 shield is slightly more worn than yours:

IMG_5192 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I found one of those 66s for $29.99 on eBay a couple years back.  I had no idea if it was real or not but thought it was worth the chance given the font looked correct from the pictures.  Turned out it was one of those 66 shields Illinois was giving away when US 66 was being decommissioned in the state.  I still think its pretty cool considering that I got it on the cheap.  I have it above the fire place with AZ 66:

IMG_5191 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

And a replica US 66 shield which an accompanying Oatman Highway blade:

IMG_5195 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Incidentally that Oatman Highway blade is by far the most expensive street blade I've ever paid for.  I don't think I'll ever see another one and I wasn't going to pass on it given how much fun that old stretch of 66 has brought me over the years.

Max Rockatansky

Added some new shields to my collection.

M-26 (1926 era embossed design)

IMG_9600 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

M-35 (1926 era embossed design)

IMG_9601 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

M-35 (1948 era shield cut-out)

IMG_9599 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

spitball

Very nice!  I love the embossed M shields.

Max Rockatansky

Picked up some new local California spades.

IMG_9884 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_9883 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.