News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Your planned 2016 Roadtrips

Started by US 41, December 19, 2015, 11:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

Spring (week of February 21st) = Even though February is still Winter this is my Spring trip as it is much warmer in Texas than Indiana. I'm going back to the Big Bend Region of Texas. This time I will finish what I started. I will be driving into Chihuahua, Mexico, via the Ojinaga POE. Definitely going to see the Peguis Canyon. I will also be going to the Big Bend Nat'l Park again. My mom is planning on going with me. Last time I went by myself.

Summer (date undecided) = I will be driving to Williston, ND (to see my uncle). I will also be going up to Canada while I am up there. My dad is going with me on this one.

Fall- Undecided

Winter- None (I don't take long road trips in the winter.)
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

AlexandriaVA

Sort-of inverted, but I'm looking to continue to stay under the median VMT for my age/gender category. Last year will probably be my all-time record due to shift work I was doing, resulting in working only 7 days per two-week cycle (7 days *12 hrs vs. 10 days * 8 hours). I often filled up only once a month during that time!

Rothman

Really hoping to get out to Utah to visit the in-laws for this upcoming summer.  Trying to plan out how to get there and back in a "reasonable" amount of time (a couple of weeks).  Headed out, I'm hoping to hit the new Pullman NPS site in Chicago, visit a friend in the Quad Cities and revisit Nauvoo (abandoned Mormon city that was once the size of Chicago).  Cut across MO to Saint Joseph and then visit Homestead National Monument.  Looking forward to revisiting Rocky Mountain NP and Dinosaur NM, especially now that the quarry building's been refurbished.  That's more-or-less set.

The way back from Utah is much less set.  We'll be swinging south, but the question is how far south.  We'll definitely hit Great Sand Dunes in CO and Capulin Volcano in NM, but from there out, I've got some things to work out.  Might head to Fort Worth to visit another friend.  We'll see.

Of course, it depends on avoiding financial disasters, such as having a roof leak like we did last year.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

rawmustard

I'm giving strong consideration to going to Milwaukee MLK Day weekend as part of another Chicago Blues outreach trip, although I may spend one or two nights in Door County. But I may scrap that if I decide to attend the North American International Auto Show in Detroit that weekend. I think I'm pretty much set on the York meet and am giving strong consideration to Birmingham as well. I might also try to get to cities I haven't yet been on my own, and spontaneous trips are always possible if I have the time and resources.

hbelkins

None unless it starts raining money.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Thing 342

I don't have much non-requisite driving set in stone. However, I may get to drive to St. Louis in April, or fly out to San Francisco in May. I'll probably have a job this summer, so I won't have as much time to go on trips as I used to.   

noelbotevera

Quote from: hbelkins on December 22, 2015, 03:40:18 PM
None unless it starts raining money.
(in a weak attempt at humor, which I fail at in this forum) There was Rain Rock, Ohio, where people thought it rained rocks, and rocks were left there. Maybe Rain Money, Kentucky starts existing then quickly becomes a ghost town cause of the hundred dollar bills left on the grass.

US71

I'm hoping to make at least a couple road meets this year, maybe the Gasconade bridge meet.

Otherwise, I want to explore US 71 north of Kansas City, all the way to Minnesota.

Maybe finish US 79 west of Carthage, TX

Beyond that, see where the roads take me.  :wave:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

JMoses24

Probably another northeast excursion in June. Beyond that, maybe South Bend for the planned road meet, if I can swing it.

SignGeek101

Will probably be working next summer on a job that I will have few days off. But if I can get away, it would either be Northern Canada (Yukon) or Northern Ontario. The Northern US (North Dakota) is also a possibility, though unlikely unless I renew my passport.

Quote from: US 41 on December 19, 2015, 11:28:03 PM
Summer (date undecided) = I will be driving to Williston, ND (to see my uncle). I will also be going up to Canada while I am up there. My dad is going with me on this one.

Guess you'll be in my neck of the woods then.

US71

Quote from: JMoses24 on December 23, 2015, 01:34:30 AM
Probably another northeast excursion in June. Beyond that, maybe South Bend for the planned road meet, if I can swing it.

I'm hoping to make that, as well. Maybe an opportunity to check the old National Road along the way.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

D-Dey65

I'm not sure when, but it will involve another trip to the New York Tri-State area, with a detour in the Philly area.

The High Plains Traveler

Time's passing by and I absolutely want to get to Alaska. So, I'll be checking cruises, preferably on the edges of the travel season. If I get there, I'd like to do a one-way cruise where I rent a car and do some tripping around Alaska. Then, fly back to the point of departure (Seattle or Vancouver). It's entirely possible we could drive to the starting point.

I also expect to make a trip to Minnesota where, I'm told, I should have twin grandsons by Spring.

Also, I hope to have a cabin fever trip in late February. Normally, that would take us places like California or Texas. This depends, though, on how the El Nino weather is behaving; I have no desire to drive into torrential rains and mudslides.

A roadmeet is also a possibility, I have thought about Duluth, with Minnesota being our old home.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

wanderer2575

Mrs. wanderer and I have a cruise out of Baltimore in early May and we will make a roadtrip driving between home (metro Detroit) and the port.  Last time we did this we drove US-30 out much of the way; I'll have to find another route (maybe US-40).  I welcome any suggestions.

texaskdog

Austin to Yellowstone via Colorado.

leroys73

Sounds like some good trips several of you are going to undertake.  I am always partial to the Rockies, eastern Utah, western Canada, and Big Bend country.  I'll probably make it to Big Bend again in the fall by motorcycle.

Solo motorcycle trips:
     I hope I can make it to Jacksonville, FL in March for the Iron Butt annual party.  I have had to cancel three times because of different reasons. 
     I'll be in 41's neighborhood about mid April for the Moonshine Lunch Run (Casey, IL).  It is a ride in by people on all types of motorcycles from all parts of the US and Canada.  Big fund raiser for local charities.
     Around June 6 I head out for three weeks riding to the northeast with my turn around on Newfoundland after a short visit to Labrador.  After this trip my motorcycle will have taken me to 49 states (missing HI), DC, and all provinces/territories except Nunavut. 
     Then at the end of July I will fly to Alaska to take an Ayres Adventure tour by motorcycle from Anchorage, AK up the Dalton Highway on their motorcycle. 
     I am sure there will be some other motorcycle trips in the year.  Maybe even one to Key West as it has been in my thoughts for awhile.

Then of course I am sure The Wife will come up with some road trip by car for the two of us or maybe even one to include my daughter. 

I really would like not to take both the Dalton and Newfoundland rides in the same summer but at my age I am running low on birthdays.  Plus those two trips have been put off for at least three years and I have to ride the Dalton before my buddy does.     
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

slorydn1

Sometime early next summer I would like to take my wife up to southwestern lower Michigan and northeastern Illinois where I grew up. She would also like to see the Museum of Science and Industry and Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. So far that's the only somewhat planned road trip for 2016.

I'm sure there will be plenty of 1 and 2 day jaunts up to the mountains and back as well, we just cant seem to stay away from eastern Tennessee/western NC.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

dgolub

In terms of meets, I'm planning to go to Central PA, Corridor H, and Albany.  Corridor H will definitely be overnight, and the other two will probably be so as well.  My company is also having an off-site in the Poconos, so I'll be going to that, too.  Plus a whole batch of to-be-determined day trips, as usual.

mefailenglish

Well, in February I'll be in Arizona / Nevada / Death Valley for ~10 days.  And in September I have a work trip to Salt Lake (which is somewhat unfortunate for me since I was just there this past year).  I plan to either go out a week early or stay a week late to tour some national parks in the southern part of the state.

I hope to take a couple of weeks off in the early summer for a road trip, but I haven't figured out a destination.  One thought is I might fly to MSP and explore around Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and the Dakotas.  Another possibility is to fly to DEN, and explore more out that way.  A third possibility is heading toward upstate New York and northwest PA to finish up the counties in that neck of the woods.  No matter which way I'm going I'll be visiting NPS units and hopefully some minor league baseball.

leroys73

Quote from: mefailenglish on December 27, 2015, 11:48:53 AM
Well, in February I'll be in Arizona / Nevada / Death Valley for ~10 days.  And in September I have a work trip to Salt Lake (which is somewhat unfortunate for me since I was just there this past year).  I plan to either go out a week early or stay a week late to tour some national parks in the southern part of the state.

I hope to take a couple of weeks off in the early summer for a road trip, but I haven't figured out a destination.  One thought is I might fly to MSP and explore around Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and the Dakotas.  Another possibility is to fly to DEN, and explore more out that way.  A third possibility is heading toward upstate New York and northwest PA to finish up the counties in that neck of the woods.  No matter which way I'm going I'll be visiting NPS units and hopefully some minor league baseball.

DV is a very different drive but I enjoyed it even with the heat in May and again in July.  February should make for an extremely enjoyable time.

Southern UT will be another awesome UT trip. 
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

hbelkins

The same conference that I attended in Annapolis, Md., this past September is going to be in Charleston, WV next year. I can be in Charleston in about three hours -- it's closer than about half of Kentucky is -- so unless there's a ban on out-of-state travel, I plan to attend. The only strange territory will be the streets leading to the hotel, since I don't know where it will be held and I've never stayed at any of Charleston's convention hotels.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

KEVIN_224

Depending on money and weather, I hope to touch 4 states on New Year's Day. I usually do a day trip to Portland, ME or Philadelphia (I live in central Connecticut). The quickest way to do 4 states would be by going north on I-91 to Brattleboro, VT. From US Route 5, you can walk into either Hinsdale, NH via VT/NH Route 119 (from downtown) or Chesterfield, NH via VT/NH Route 9 (north end). The most states I've been in with the first week of the year is 5. 1995 started with a day trip to Baltimore (CT/NY/NJ/DE/MD).

corco

I've got some travel plans on the docket, but it'll be limited in quantity (though very high in quality) next year.

I'm expecting to keep it fairly light until the spring - right now the docket is:

1. February - Flying to Portland, Ore. for a conference for work that ends as Presidents' Day weekend begins, but taking an extra day off in addition to Presidents' Day, so I'm planning to spend three days driving around western Oregon/northern California.
2. April - The big highlight of the year. Taking a three week roadtrip through the Balkans next April and May.
3. Summer - I have four daytrips and one overnight trip worth of driving left to finish the Montana state highway system, and will plan on doing that this coming summer. I'd also like to get to the Duluth meet, which, as far as meets go, is relatively easy from here.
4. Fall - TBD. Hoping a roadmeet will pop up somewhere back east in September or October to give me an excuse to get back there for a few days. I may go to South Carolina for work for a few days in September for the TRB Tools of the Trade Transportation Planning Conference, and would likely add a few vacation days onto that trip, if I get to go.

After that, I'll be pretty much out of commission until May 2017.

Thing 342

Quote from: Thing 342 on December 22, 2015, 04:24:49 PM
I don't have much non-requisite driving set in stone. However, I may get to drive to St. Louis in April, or fly out to San Francisco in May. I'll probably have a job this summer, so I won't have as much time to go on trips as I used to.
Adding on to this post: I do have a few general goals that I'd like to reach: one is to clinch all of the counties in VA (Bath, Highland, and Dickinson, which can all be done in a pair of day trips out of Blacksburg). I also have my eye on the ADHS corridors, with A, B, and K as part of a possible way back from Atlanta in January, and L, G, and Q as part of a potential day trip whenever the new portions of Q open. I'm also thinking about a trip up to Cedar Point this summer, if the money's there.

Nexus 6P

rawmustard

I'm in Indianapolis for the night after finally getting down to see the Hoosier Heartland Corridor between Logansport and Lafayette. This is a very nice stretch of road. I also made a loop through the Purdue campus and took the "new" routing of 52 through town. I also saw just how fast Whitestown is booming, probably as a result of an Amazon Fulfillment Center. The true purpose of the trip is to catch the Chelsea match tomorrow morning (8:30 ET start) at Chatham Tap.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.