News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What are those metal things sticking up?

Started by roadman65, October 01, 2023, 06:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/53219219927/in/photostream/

I've noticed that when some road agencies repave roads, instead of painting dots before the permanent lane stripes, they have these metal pieces instead.

Are they safe to drive over? Will they ruin your tires? Plus why use them instead of normal pain dots?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on October 01, 2023, 06:45:33 AM

I've noticed that when some road agencies repave roads, instead of painting dots before the permanent lane stripes, they have these metal pieces instead.

Are they safe to drive over? Will they ruin your tires? Plus why use them instead of normal pain dots?
Heh.  Of course they're safe to drive over.  They're just reflectors.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mgk920

Quote from: Rothman on October 01, 2023, 06:53:37 AM

Heh.  Of course they're safe to drive over.  They're just reflectors.

yea, they're little reflective plastic tabs that serve until real paint can be laid down.  I see them all the time here.

Mike

CtrlAltDel

I thought they were made of rubber, not metal.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

They are indeed made of plastic. Over time they break off of the road surface and go who knows where, so they are definitely more temporary than temporary paint dots.

They also make a nice little flapping noise when you drive over them. Just think of them as temporary Botts dots.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bing101

Temporary lane reflectors until the permanent ones are installed.

mgk920

Quote from: bing101 on October 07, 2023, 01:02:24 PM

Temporary lane reflectors until the permanent ones are installed.

Around here they are usually put down a few days before a chip sealing operation.  IMHO, they signify road maintenance on the ultimate cheap by whatever agency controls the road and they do sometimes fail into a real mess.

Mike

jeffandnicole

Gloucester County, NJ uses them a lot.  Just plastic.  They usually just mark the center line; maybe skip or shoulder lines in some cases.  Perfectly safe to drive over.

roadman65

I've never seen them used in Florida and I did see them sporadically in the Garden State hence my OP as Kansas and Oklahoma is where I noticed them frequently after paving projects.

Just like I noticed in Kansas when a road is single lane with flagman an at each end, I've seen a pilot car lead traffic through the single lane which I never saw elsewhere.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Whenever I see them, I try to drive over them, and I have never felt or heard them.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

pderocco

I've seen them hundreds of times, but I've never seen them laid down. Does someone do it on foot, or do they do it from a truck? They seem to be placed reasonably accurately, so I wonder if they have a machine that lays them down.

bwana39

I have seen them that were just white cardboard ranging from barely thicker than poster board to a 1/4" corrugated. (Think the paper corrugated corners packed in some appliance and television boxes)

They are just Temporary lane markers. In a lot of cases they are just left to wear off.

Your question would seem to hint that you are not familiar with permanent so-called cat eyes on the road.  In areas where snow plows don't run, they are everywhere. It is a bunch better than just painted stripes. Especially on light colored pavement.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: bwana39 on November 29, 2023, 12:37:32 PM
Your question would seem to hint that you are not familiar with permanent so-called cat eyes on the road.  In areas where snow plows don't run, they are everywhere. It is a bunch better than just painted stripes. Especially on light colored pavement.
In my experience, states that at least semi-regularly get snow (including Tennessee) will use cats-eyes that are embedded into the pavement, such as these, so they ain't scraped-off by plows.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

thenetwork

Those reflectors are also good when agencies just do a chip/fog seal over a newer (0-5 year old) asphalt surface to extend the life of the road surface.

Usually those plastic reflectors get coated in black by the tar after the sealing(s), but they still can be seen as the road markings until the road is re-striped.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.