News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Redacted signs" in Wisconsin to indicate road closures

Started by KCRoadFan, August 20, 2023, 02:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

When we went to Madison, WI, last summer to visit my brother there, I noticed a peculiar road sign practice in that state: namely, that when a road leading to a town cannot be accessed due to that road being closed, the name of the town, and sometimes the marker for the highway itself, will be covered up on nearby freeway signs - as if the state wants to hide any evidence of the town's existence. The sign in question was the one for Exit 77 on US 151 in Verona, which accesses WI 69, a road leading south to Monroe - in this example (which can be seen on Street View here), the name "Monroe" is covered up, as well as the marker for WI 69, leaving just "Verona" visible to drivers going by.

Anyway, here's something I wonder: for those who have lived in Wisconsin for a while, how long has their practice of "road sign redaction" been going on, and have you seen it (or any similar techniques to point out closed roads) in any other states?

JREwing78

Yes. Very common in Wisconsin and throughout the Midwest. In some places, they'll throw a "Road Closed" sign over the BGS instead. On a smaller scale, they'll cover up route numbers for closed sections or replace them with the detour routing.

SM-G991U

SEWIGuy

Going on for as long as I remember. I had no idea it's not SOP in other states.

Rothman

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 20, 2023, 07:41:19 AM
I think there's an inconsistent practice even within some states when it comes to covering up control cities during construction.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mgk920

Quote from: Rothman on August 20, 2023, 07:52:37 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 20, 2023, 07:41:19 AM
I think there's an inconsistent practice even within some states when it comes to covering up control cities during construction.

In much of Europe, Germany especially, the authorities will put red tape on the signs showing that a cross route is closed and unavailable to be used in the normal manner.  The red tape is placed in such a way that the writing that is 'Xed' out remains readable.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.