News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Pacific Southwest / Re: Wilshire Boulevard in MacA...
Last post by cahwyguy - Today at 07:03:18 PM
There are alternatives, and people do adapt.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Kentucky
Last post by jnewkirk77 - Today at 06:42:14 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2024, 02:46:18 PMI don't understand why Kentucky posts 65 mph on four-lane routes such as KY 61 and US 68/KY 80 in the western part of the state, but won't sign anything in the east at 65 mph.

Not everything in the west is 65 ... US 60/231 NE of Owensboro is still, ridiculously, 55.
Road Enthusiasts Meetings / Re: 2024 Reno Road Meet - Sept...
Last post by cl94 - Today at 06:37:09 PM
A very rough itinerary has been drafted. This is draft and subject to change, particularly the end of the meet. I still have a lot of details and background info to add for the stops and each leg of the tour, but I wanted to get something out there this month.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1haJL3BIm31idr8oOpscooBEDO40Od66coTYrpMYrWVE/

We have a few options at the end of the meet and I am willing to change up the last couple legs to see what people are interested in. Currently, I have our final stop before returning to our cars at the Geiger Lookout Point, an old WPA picnic area south of town with views of Reno and Pleasant Valley, including the Galena Creek Bridge. Other options include a visit to an abandoned section of NV SR 33 (today's SR 445) and the SR 445 widening project, bridges, views, and an abandoned interchange along I-80 east of town, and Alt US 395/I-580 in Pleasant Valley to get a closer look at the Galena Creek Bridge and the near-ghost town of Washoe City.

If anyone would prefer one of the above options, let me know. We are getting a couple of abandoned alignments elsewhere on the tour, so the idea with the Geiger Lookout was to mix it up a bit.
Off-Topic / Richard Simmons Dead!
Last post by snowc - Today at 06:21:46 PM
FULL ARTICLE HERE
QuoteEccentric fitness guru Richard Simmons, known for his unrelenting positivity, has died, according to his representative.

Simmons just celebrated his 76th birthday on Friday.

The Los Angeles Police Department responded to his home after a 911 call from his housekeeper and found Simmons dead, according to police sources. He appears to have died of natural causes, and no foul play is suspected, the sources said.
Quote from: vdeane on Today at 04:34:16 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 12, 2024, 11:44:52 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 12, 2024, 11:22:58 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on July 12, 2024, 11:04:04 PM
QuoteIt seems like it's in large part a desire to preserve a slower pace of life where you stop, wait in line, and then pay in cash (aside from the locals for whom MacPass actually makes sense) and to distance themselves, at least psychologically, from "toll road country" (note that there have also been many who are passionate about MI using "fare" instead of "toll" on signs).  This may be a broader regional trend, because E-ZPass usage is lower than in the Northeast, even along the toll road corridors.  Even in NY, E-ZPass utilization was lower around Buffalo than anywhere else in the state, despite the fact that the Thruway is needed there just to get to some of the suburbs on a freeway.  And Ohio was very late to adopting E-ZPass or even any transponder at all, even though, unlike Michigan, they "have a toll road".  Indiana doesn't even have ORT lanes.  Illinois seems to be the main exception.  So it definitely seems like there's something cultural going on.
That's silly. I feel no more connected to Illinois and points east by virtue of being in a state utilizing E-ZPass than I did before that switch was made. It's simply much more convenient for me not to have a separate account since I also visit Illinois often.

I don't think it's that EZPass necessarily connects you to those places on a cultural level, it's that there's just a regional difference in willingness to implement a system that's interoperable with other states, and that may be, at least in part, due to residents of those states being less tolerant of using those systems. And since it's clear that the Midwest is still well behind the Northeast in this regard, it's also fair to intuit a connection between the more slow-paced and down-to-earth lifestyle and resistance to/complacency about technological advancements.

No.
I think it's fair.  Remember all the comments the last time this came up that could be summed up as "we have a slower-paced lifestyle here" and "why are you in such a hurry?"?

Sure, but luddism should never be justified.
General Highway Talk / Re: Road diets / closures you'...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 06:11:46 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on Today at 05:27:25 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on July 11, 2024, 11:06:36 PMYes, I consider undivided four lane roads to be obsolete.

Especially from a safety standpoint, i.e. head-on collision risk.

MA says, "Pfft."
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by jeffandnicole - Today at 05:45:52 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on Today at 05:29:45 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 12, 2024, 12:15:30 AM.... Since it's unlikely Delaware has any plans to knock down both Chesapeake Bay Bridges or build a tunnel here, there's no reason to offer more than 186 feet of clearance.

The Bay Bridge twin span is in Maryland, not Delaware, so I sincerely hope Delaware doesn't plan to knock it down.

Ugh. I'm finding I'm making more and more of those typos lately. I gotta reread what I write - twice - before I send it.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by 1995hoo - Today at 05:29:45 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 12, 2024, 12:15:30 AM.... Since it's unlikely Delaware has any plans to knock down both Chesapeake Bay Bridges or build a tunnel here, there's no reason to offer more than 186 feet of clearance.

The Bay Bridge twin span is in Maryland, not Delaware, so I sincerely hope Delaware doesn't plan to knock it down.
General Highway Talk / Re: Road diets / closures you'...
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 05:27:25 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on July 11, 2024, 11:06:36 PMYes, I consider undivided four lane roads to be obsolete.

Especially from a safety standpoint, i.e. head-on collision risk.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Ohio
Last post by TempoNick - Today at 05:22:03 PM
Quote from: seicer on July 11, 2024, 02:37:07 PMIt's hard to tell when the link he drops shows a view with nothing on it,

The link works for me. It takes you right to the map, and a picture at the exact location.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/rsHodgYdD1KVLJZU6?g_st=ac

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.