News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee ideal speed limits

Started by Daniel Fiddler, August 10, 2021, 08:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Any reason why I-75 north of the Turnpike gets special treatment? I understand the Turnpike itself, but not I-75 north of it.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Daniel Fiddler

It's entirely six lanes, mostly straight as an arrow, flat as a pancake, visibility is 2+ miles in places, and trucks are prohibited in the leftmost lane.

CtrlAltDel

I don't know if people are going to like the truck differentials.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Daniel Fiddler

Hmmm, good point, you could be right.  Unless there was a law / regulation that trucks must stay in the right lane (or two lanes in a 6+ lane highway) except near interchanges / intersections where they will need to turn left, that could be a problem.  :(

I-55

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on August 10, 2021, 09:21:42 PM
Hmmm, good point, you could be right.  Unless there was a law / regulation that trucks must stay in the right lane (or two lanes in a 6+ lane highway) except near interchanges / intersections where they will need to turn left, that could be a problem.  :(

The speed variance would be an issue regardless of whether lane restrictions existed or not. If anything, lane restrictions for trucks would INCREASE variance because one lane would be 20+ mph slower than the other.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: I-55 on August 10, 2021, 09:23:50 PM

The speed variance would be an issue regardless of whether lane restrictions existed or not. If anything, lane restrictions for trucks would INCREASE variance because one lane would be 20+ mph slower than the other.

That is true.  Although perhaps not 20+ mph.  You are right though.  Trucks would have to be able to pass slow-moving vehicles.  I am removing truck variants from the map.

Although I am suggesting increasing minimums as well as limits.  Suggested minimums are 15 - 20 mph below the suggested limit.  No more "I drive 55" or slower shit, they will be FORCED to drive 60 mph or faster.

CtrlAltDel

For the record, not that it's the topic of the thread, I would have a rule that would keep trucks out of the two leftmost lanes unless they were also one of the two rightmost lanes. Except if there's a left exit or something else along those lines.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

I-55

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on August 10, 2021, 09:32:20 PM
Quote from: I-55 on August 10, 2021, 09:23:50 PM

That is true.  Although perhaps not 20+ mph.  You are right though.  Trucks would have to be able to pass slow-moving vehicles.

Although I am suggesting increasing minimums as well as limits.  Suggested minimums are 15 - 20 mph below the suggested limit.  No more "I drive 55" or slower shit, they will be FORCED to drive 60 mph or faster.

But as I've learned on many of these roads, the cars in front of me have far more impact on my speed than the signs on the road. I can't remember the last time I passed someone going less than 10 under with no one in front of them, when speed drops well below the limit it's usually due to congestion. No one's going to just go 50 in a 70 without traffic or getting pulled over.

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 10, 2021, 09:36:36 PM
For the record, not that it's the topic of the thread, I would have a rule that would keep trucks out of the two leftmost lanes unless they were also one of the two rightmost lanes. Except if there's a left exit or something else along those lines.

I can get behind this because trucks will never be going close to the speed of the 3rd lane from the right, and they would have lanes to pass each other if needed without impeding others ability to pass in the 3rd lane.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Daniel Fiddler

I just finished removing the truck variants from the map.

Tomahawkin

75 should be the limit from Macon GA to Tampa. But that is a high drug traffic corridor and I have seen a lot of dumb ####s doing 100+ on that corridor with a lot of weekend traffic. I don't know why FHP does not sit on 75 from Lake city to the GA line???

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sprjus4

All of Florida should have increased to 75 mph when it was brought into legislature years back. But of course, the governor shot it down because the police cried "safety" .

If you've ever driven in Florida, you know that traffic is moving a minimum of 80 mph, a lot of times pushing 90 mph, on all the 70 mph interstate highways and the Turnpike. A 75 mph speed limit would not be unreasonable nor result in much changes to traffic flow, IMO. It would just be closer to reality.

Tennessee used to have 75 mph rural interstate highways pre-1973. I'm not sure what's keeping them from going up again from 70 mph, most of the highways can easily handle it. With Arkansas now at 75 mph, it only makes sense Tennessee follow. I-40 east of Memphis can just as easily handle a 75 mph limit as I-40 west of Memphis presently does.

And for crying out loud - please eliminate the "environmental"  speed limits in place near Memphis, and also on I-81 and I-26. At minimum, both highways should be posted at 70 mph throughout (perhaps the exception I-26 near Johnson City). I'm aware I-26 used to have 70 mph zones until lowered due to "safety" . Again, 65 / 55 mph does nothing to slow down traffic, make a safer environment, or cut down on "air quality" . Traffic still flows in excess of 80 mph (when there's not walls of trucks) at least in the case of I-81. When I drove I-26 in the past, traffic was flowing at least around 75 mph, pushing 80 mph at times. Even more in the southern stretch, where the random 55 mph limits there are even more absurd.

As for Memphis, replace the 65 / 55 mph zones with 70 mph (I-40, I-55, I-269, TN-385) including the northern beltway around the city, and bump I-240 from 55 mph to 65 mph.

Nashville at least gets it right in keeping limits at 70 mph throughout, with the exception of right near the city center. Knoxville took a major step forward in eliminating all environmental limits, and bumping those long, absurd 55 mph zones on I-40 to 65 mph (60 mph near Downtown), though reasonably they could go to 70 mph west of Downtown to the I-75 split.

Daniel Fiddler

Oh yeah, I've lived in Florida for five years and visited it a few times as well, I know the traffic moves at 80-85 on the Interstates and 90+ on the Turnpike usually.

I never understood environmental speed limits near Memphis.  Chattanooga and Knoxville yes.  But Memphis no.

milbfan

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 11, 2021, 02:55:35 AM

And for crying out loud - please eliminate the "environmental"  speed limits in place near Memphis, and also on I-81 and I-26. At minimum, both highways should be posted at 70 mph throughout (perhaps the exception I-26 near Johnson City). I'm aware I-26 used to have 70 mph zones until lowered due to "safety" . Again, 65 / 55 mph does nothing to slow down traffic, make a safer environment, or cut down on "air quality" . Traffic still flows in excess of 80 mph (when there's not walls of trucks) at least in the case of I-81. When I drove I-26 in the past, traffic was flowing at least around 75 mph, pushing 80 mph at times. Even more in the southern stretch, where the random 55 mph limits there are even more absurd.

Yep.  Not like the trucks will actually do that 55 mph.  They've had a hard time going back and forth; when I first moved to the region, it was 70mph south of 81 on 26, and 55 north of the junction.  I could see a justification for slower speeds into parts of Kport, until you hit TN 93/Exit 4.  If you try to coast down the mountain/hill going towards Stone Dr., you're already going to end up doing about 80 anyway.  The curves aren't bad in Kport, but I'm used to those, as well as the few curves and climbs/descents going into Johnson City.

65/55 on I-81 to the border makes no sense.  It's a bit smoother, save maybe around Ft. Henry Dr./Exit 59.  There's now even a climbing lane on the northbound side, once you cross the Holston River until the airport exit.  When you hit Virginia, it's now 70, as well.

The only other foreseeable problem is the 81/26 interchange, itself.  I know that you have to be careful going from 26E to 81S.  If you're not used to it, the curve is surprising.  And then there's the lane cha-cha you have to do if you're exiting onto a cloverleaf ramp.  There was talk that this would eventually be reworked, but I'm guessing that'll be a long time down the road.

chrisdiaz

I'm curious as to why Alligator Alley is only 80 miles per hour. From satellite view, it seems like it would be easy to go 90 being that its mainly straight and flat.

sprjus4

^ The speed limit is officially posted at 70 mph throughout (Florida's current state maximum), however could easily handle a higher limit, based on personal experience driving it.

From a single trip, I've hit over 90 mph a number of times without realizing it, and usually maintained at least 80-85 mph throughout, and was still passed countless times.

Avalanchez71

All it took was for one woman to compain about the noise from 65 MPH vehicles wizzing by for TDOT to lower the speed limit on I-440 to 55 MPH.  This lady said for the sake of piece and quite the speed limit needed to be lowered.

Avalanchez71

The speed limit on SR 396 is already 70 MPH from I-65 to past Kedron Rd.  It is lowered to 55 MPH prior to the US 31 exit.  This was done prior to the rebuild and extension.  The artifically low speed to 40 MPH right under US 31 is where a change should occur.  This was neccessary when there was a transition to private property when it became a private road owned by GM.  However, now that there is a rebuild and the road is now exteneded and owned by TDOT this artifcial low speed should transition to at least 45 MPH. 

Spring Hill PD likes to sit under the overpass and run radar at the tranistion from 55 MPH to 40 MPH.  The ROW was annexed into the city limits but the city limits are really weird in this area.  I think they annexed in the US 31 ROW but I cannot find the ordinance where they annexed in the SR 396 ROW as well.  I am wondering if the US 31 ROW includes this or not.  :hmmm:

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: chrisdiaz on August 15, 2021, 02:51:37 AM
I'm curious as to why Alligator Alley is only 80 miles per hour. From satellite view, it seems like it would be easy to go 90 being that its mainly straight and flat.

I've never driven on Alligator Alley so I wouldn't know for sure.  It does indeed appear that way.  I know the Florida Turnpike between Ft. Pierce and St. Cloud is safe at 90 mph, hell, I've driven even faster on it, I've driven 120 on it once when I was in a phenomenal convoy actually driving that.

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 15, 2021, 03:41:46 AM
^ The speed limit is officially posted at 70 mph throughout (Florida's current state maximum), however could easily handle a higher limit, based on personal experience driving it.

From a single trip, I've hit over 90 mph a number of times without realizing it, and usually maintained at least 80-85 mph throughout, and was still passed countless times.

I usually try to join a good convoy that is moving 80 - 90 when I am Florida and Georgia.

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 15, 2021, 12:33:53 PM
All it took was for one woman to compain about the noise from 65 MPH vehicles wizzing by for TDOT to lower the speed limit on I-440 to 55 MPH.  This lady said for the sake of piece and quite the speed limit needed to be lowered.

Only ONE woman?

I wondered why in God's name the speed limit was lowered back to 55 after only 3 or 4 months of being 65.  Damn that sucks!

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 15, 2021, 12:41:21 PM
The speed limit on SR 396 is already 70 MPH from I-65 to past Kedron Rd.  It is lowered to 55 MPH prior to the US 31 exit.  This was done prior to the rebuild and extension.  The artifically low speed to 40 MPH right under US 31 is where a change should occur.  This was neccessary when there was a transition to private property when it became a private road owned by GM.  However, now that there is a rebuild and the road is now exteneded and owned by TDOT this artifcial low speed should transition to at least 45 MPH. 

Spring Hill PD likes to sit under the overpass and run radar at the tranistion from 55 MPH to 40 MPH.  The ROW was annexed into the city limits but the city limits are really weird in this area.  I think they annexed in the US 31 ROW but I cannot find the ordinance where they annexed in the SR 396 ROW as well.  I am wondering if the US 31 ROW includes this or not.  :hmmm:

I didn't know it was 70.  I'll change it to 70 then.

Rothman

Sake of piece and quite.  I like this variation and think it works better than the original.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on August 15, 2021, 05:22:34 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 15, 2021, 12:33:53 PM

Only ONE woman?

I wondered why in God's name the speed limit was lowered back to 55 after only 3 or 4 months of being 65.  Damn that sucks!

Here is a citation.
https://tennessean.newspapers.com/image/?clipping_id=61631406&fcfToken=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJmcmVlLXZpZXctaWQiOjI3NTg5NTk5NiwiaWF0IjoxNjI5MDY1NDg1LCJleHAiOjE2MjkxNTE4ODV9.ppFqCTMYILGsAeTaXFenqBWB43vMpTe_KAaXoe8DTvs

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.