Non-Road Boards > Sports

2022 FIFA World Cup

(1/58) > >>

NWI_Irish96:
Since a lot of people watch the World Cup but not club soccer/football, I thought I'd create a separate thread.

Normally, we'd be about 10 weeks out from the beginning of the group stage, but with summer temperatures in Qatar unsuitable for any sort of outdoor activity, this year's competition will be held in November-December.

Qualifying is just about wrapped up, with 27 of the 32 spots already secured from the following confederations:

UEFA: Serbia, Spain, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Croatia, England, Germany, Portugal, Poland

AFC: Qatar (hosts), Iran, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Japan

CONMEBOL: Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Uruguay

CAF: Ghana, Senegal, Tunisia, Morocco, Cameroon

CONCACAF: Canada

There are 13 teams vying for the final five spots:

CONCACAF: Two spots will be secured tomorrow, with the US and Mexico almost certain to be those teams. Costa Rica would need a huge win over the US tomorrow to qualify directly, but most likely they are headed to a June playoff in Qatar with an OFC team.

OFC: New Zealand and the Solomon Islands play tomorrow, with the winner in that June playoff with a CONCACAF team

CONMEBOL: With the final matchday tomorrow; Peru, Columbia and Chile are all alive for a spot in a June playoff with an AFC team.

AFC: Australia and the UAE will play in June to determine who advances to face a CONMEBOL team.

UEFA: The playoff involving Ukraine has been postponed for obvious reasons, with Ukraine now scheduled to face Scotland in June, with the winner playing Wales for the final spot.

Bruce:
Also important to detail that 6,500 migrant workers from South Asia have died in Qatar since December 2011. 37 of them were related to stadium construction, but the organizing committee classified all but three as being "non-work related". Given that these migrant workers are barely allowed to leave their overcrowded accommodations, this is extremely suspect.

Not particularly excited about this edition, given the situation. The winter timing has already knocked around the schedules for leagues, with MLS having to kick off in February to compensate for the loss of their expected November playoff slots. 2026 will at least be a normal one.

Roadgeekteen:
I'm not a big soccer fan but I wish it wasn't held in a medieval era state with slavery and awful human rights.

NWI_Irish96:

--- Quote from: Bruce on March 30, 2022, 01:09:23 AM ---Also important to detail that 6,500 migrant workers from South Asia have died in Qatar since December 2011. 37 of them were related to stadium construction, but the organizing committee classified all but three as being "non-work related". Given that these migrant workers are barely allowed to leave their overcrowded accommodations, this is extremely suspect.

Not particularly excited about this edition, given the situation. The winter timing has already knocked around the schedules for leagues, with MLS having to kick off in February to compensate for the loss of their expected November playoff slots. 2026 will at least be a normal one.

--- End quote ---

I agree that there are a lot of really bad things about how we got to playing in Qatar in November, but the players worked very hard to get there so I'm going to watch them anyway.

7/8:
I'm excited to watch Canada in the world cup. It'll be the first time in my lifetime that they're in it!

The late November-early December timing is pretty lame though. The world cup has such a summer vibe for me and watching it during the cold gloomy period in Ontario won't feel right. And of course, as others have mentioned, Qatar is a shit country that shouldn't have been awarded the honours in the first place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version