Regional Boards > Mountain West

CO-21 and Reaserch Pkwy interchange construction

(1/3) > >>

MCRoads:
Looks like almost all work is done, they are now completing research under the bridge. All roads will probably be open sometime later in the month, or sometime next month. Glad to see that this didn’t go over budget or get behind schedule.

Bobby5280:
I drove through there last week while up in the 'Springs area visiting family. I'm happy to see this intersection being changed from a traffic light stop to a freeway exit. But a whole LOT more work needs to be done along the Powers Blvd corridor.

They need to convert more at-grade intersections into freeway exits farther South -starting with the Dublin intersection and moving downward. Stetson Hills Blvd, Barnes, N Carefree Circle, S Carefree Circle and Constitution Ave need to be upgraded badly. Lots of locals use Tutt Blvd around the back side of the Carefree Circle development as a means of getting around the traffic mess along Powers Blvd in that area.

Generally speaking CDOT, Colorado Springs planners, etc are falling farther and farther behind with needed road improvements in the Colorado Springs metro. It just takes them too long to get even modest projects completed. It took them almost 20 years just to extend the South end of Meridian Road past Woodmen Rd down to US-24. And US-24 needs to be four-laned out to at least Peyton. So much development has gone up in the Falcon area over the past decade. But this is yet another example of CDOT not even managing to do the bare minimum to keep up.

I don't know what's going on with I-25 on the South side of Colorado Springs. It looks like they're doing a complete re-build of the main lanes near Fountain. The traffic back-ups being caused by the construction are a real mess though. I hope the end result is at least a 3x3 lanes configuration. I-25 thru Colorado Springs really needs to be at least a 4x4 configuration. They did a big re-build years ago just to go from 2x2 to 3x3. They should have went from 2x2 to 4x4.

MCRoads:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 05, 2022, 03:57:01 PM ---They need to convert more at-grade intersections into freeway exits farther South -starting with the Dublin intersection and moving downward. Stetson Hills Blvd, Barnes, N Carefree Circle, S Carefree Circle and Constitution Ave need to be upgraded badly. Lots of locals use Tutt Blvd around the back side of the Carefree Circle development as a means of getting around the traffic mess along Powers Blvd in that area.

Generally speaking CDOT, Colorado Springs planners, etc are falling farther and farther behind with needed road improvements in the Colorado Springs metro. It just takes them too long to get even modest projects completed. It took them almost 20 years just to extend the South end of Meridian Road past Woodmen Rd down to US-24. And US-24 needs to be four-laned out to at least Peyton. So much development has gone up in the Falcon area over the past decade. But this is yet another example of CDOT not even managing to do the bare minimum to keep up.

--- End quote ---
Definitely agree with that. Supposedly that is the long term plan, as well as extending the freeway north to 25 near Northgate, and south near the speedway. However, that has been the plan for the last 20 years, sooo… yeah.

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 05, 2022, 03:57:01 PM ---I don't know what's going on with I-25 on the South side of Colorado Springs. It looks like they're doing a complete re-build of the main lanes near Fountain. The traffic back-ups being caused by the construction are a real mess though. I hope the end result is at least a 3x3 lanes configuration. I-25 thru Colorado Springs really needs to be at least a 4x4 configuration. They need a big re-build years ago just to go from 2x2 to 3x3. They should have went from 2x2 to 4x4.

--- End quote ---
I am so sorry to tell you, but it will still be 2x2. They are just replacing the sub-roadbed, as evidently there was some type of problem, and they need to replace it. No 3x3, sorry.

Bobby5280:

--- Quote from: MCRoads ---Definitely agree with that. Supposedly that is the long term plan, as well as extending the freeway north to 25 near Northgate, and south near the speedway. However, that has been the plan for the last 20 years, sooo… yeah.
--- End quote ---

The extension of Powers Blvd from its current North end at Interquest Parkway up to I-25 has at least started. The interchange with I-25 and freeway stub to Voyager Parkway is done. Now they just have to finish the rest of the freeway down to Powers. At least they have the ROW set aside already. I'm kind of surpised they were able to even propose any of this at all. The freeway will cut through the North part of the Flying Horse golf course. I'm guessing CDOT will build at least one or more golf cart friendly pedestrian bridges over the roadway. It looks like Flying Horse Club Drive will get a freeway exit.

CDOT should have done freeway work on Powers Blvd from Woodmen Road down to Platte Ave (US-24) over 20 years ago. I heard some of the original intentions with Powers Blvd involved a real freeway, but it got shot down by various anti-roads politicians within the city government as well as outside influences. I guess after many years of putting up with traffic snarls the city built grade separated freeway style exits piece-meal, one at a time in various locations around the 'Springs, including Powers Blvd. Maybe Powers Blvd will eventually be 100% limited access from Platte up to I-25 someday.

Also, what's the latest on that "Banning Lewis Ranch" parkway or freeway or whatever it is? Is that effort pretty much dead or what? Meanwhile I think CDOT or whoever has the jurisdiction needs to look at building some grade separated intersections along Woodmen Road.

--- Quote from: MCRoads ---I am so sorry to tell you, but it will still be 2x2. They are just replacing the sub-roadbed, as evidently there was some type of problem, and they need to replace it. No 3x3, sorry.
--- End quote ---

Well that really really sucks. All that pain is being inflicted on motorists over a significant period of time with no real benefits in the end.

The Ghostbuster:
This isn't about the Research Parkway interchange's construction, but why does CO 21 become CO 16 at Mesa Ridge Parkway? It makes no sense to me, since I think the 21 designation should have continued to Interstate 25. It would be logical if the segment of Mesa Ridge Parkway east of the 16/21 intersection were part of either 16 or 21, but it is not. Also, the exit numbers are awkward. The US 24 east exit should be numbered Exit 10, not Exit 141. I prefer mileage-based exits to be numbered based on the highway's actual mileage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version