News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

State numbering

Started by DrZoidberg, February 10, 2009, 12:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on April 30, 2010, 01:35:38 PM
The other system involves a bunch of more important regional routes that have numbers that branch off of the US highways. These would include 89, 114, 116, 120, 130, 230, 387, 430, 487, 530, 585, 789.

do any of those correspond to former US routes?  My guess is that 116 does, and maybe 530.  789 is the proposed US-789 corridor, and is 89 an old alignment of US-89? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on April 30, 2010, 11:52:53 AM

All the way to 119- and since all the numbers have been used at some point between 100 and 119, SR 19 was commissioned as a child route of US-101 that doesn't fit the grid at all.

I presume the 12x'es are children of US-12?  Are there any 13x'es?

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on April 30, 2010, 11:16:46 AM
Thanks for the clarification.  Just looking at a map, that would be 24th Street between old 99/current 204 (Golden State Avenue) and Route 178 at M Street, right?

That's gotta be it.  Unfortunately Google Maps is loading extra-slow for me today so I cannot confirm.  In Street View you should find the TO 178 WEST trailblazer immediately when you turn from old 99 (Union Blvd? Golden State Ave?) onto 24th westbound.

jake@aaroads.com

corco

do any of those correspond to former US routes?  My guess is that 116 does, and maybe 530.  789 is the proposed US-789 corridor, and is 89 an old alignment of US-89?

Wyoming 89 was a proposed alignment of US-89 that would have followed it and what is now I-80 to Salt Lake City. It was originally numbered 89 in an effort to try to get the route commissioned over that alignment, then switched to either 65 or 91, then somewhere along the line out of protest Wyoming switched the number back to 89 and (along with billboard owning local businesses) proudly advertises it as the fastest route to Salt Lake City

All of Wyoming 114 and US-14 Alternate from Lovell to Cody were once US-420.

Wyoming 116 was never US-116, but there as a US-116 that followed what is now US-14 from Ucross Junction up to Sheridan

Wyoming 120, 130, 230, 387, 430, 487, 530, 585 were never anything to my knowledge, although 387 is not the first route to bear that number.

Wyoming 220, which I forgot to mention earlier used to be part of US-87E, an old branch route of US-87 that went from Rawlins to Casper and then followed what is now regular US-87 all the way to Great Falls Montana where the routes rejoined.

So no direct correspondence.

I presume the 12x'es are children of US-12?  Are there any 13x'es?
Yup- as Xonhulu said earlier and I forgot to mention as an oddity, SR 131 is a strangely numbered child of US-12, presumably because it was commissioned at the same time that SR 126 was decommissioned and they didn't want to cause confusion (despite the two routes being a couple hundred miles apart)

RustyK

Quote from: corco on April 30, 2010, 09:39:03 PM
I presume the 12x'es are children of US-12?  Are there any 13x'es?
Yup- as Xonhulu said earlier and I forgot to mention as an oddity, SR 131 is a strangely numbered child of US-12, presumably because it was commissioned at the same time that SR 126 was decommissioned and they didn't want to cause confusion (despite the two routes being a couple hundred miles apart)

[/quote]

Interesting stuff - thanks to you and Xonhulu. 

Scott5114

I have read that Kansas has a state law prohibiting any state highway from falling entirely within incorporated areas. In such cases, KDOT is forced to decommission the highway (or extend it, I guess, but I don't know of that happening). Is anyone aware of what law, exactly, requires this?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

corco

The only law I can find regarding that is here
http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-statutes/getStatute.do?number=28284

of which this would be the useful part
QuoteIn addition to highways of the state highway system, the secretary of transportation shall designate in those cities on such system certain streets as city connecting links. "City connecting link" means a routing inside the city limits of a city which: (1) Connects a state highway through a city; (2) connects a state highway to a city connecting link of another state highway; (3) is a state highway which terminates within such city; (4) connects a state highway with a road or highway under the jurisdiction of the Kansas turnpike authority; or (5) begins and ends within a city's limits and is designated as part of the national system of interstate and defense highways.

And that seems to contradict that notion.

Describing maintenance (from here and here :
QuoteThe secretary of transportation annually shall apportion and distribute quarterly, on the first day of January, April, July and October, to cities on the state highway system from the state highway fund moneys at the rate of $3,000 per year per lane per mile for the maintenance of streets and highways in cities designated by the secretary as city connecting links. Unless a consolidated street and highway fund is established pursuant to K.S.A. 12-1,119, and amendments thereto, all moneys distributed by the secretary shall be credited to the street and alley funds of such cities. All moneys so distributed shall be used solely for the maintenance of city connecting links.
QuoteThe cost of construction, improvement and the reconstruction of such streets and highways, shall be apportioned between the department of transportation and such city, to be determined by an agreement between the city and the secretary of transportation. The portion of such cost to be paid by the secretary shall be paid from that portion of the state highway fund provided for construction of state highways and the cost of the remainder of such street highways shall be paid by the city from a fund raised in the manner provided by law for the payment for grading, curbing, guttering and paving streets in such city: Provided, That in no event shall the secretary of transportation be liable for construction, improvement or reconstruction as herein set out unless the secretary shall have designated such streets as connecting links in the state highway systems: And provided further, That the secretary of transportation shall decide the time when such construction, improvement or reconstruction shall be commenced.

The way I read all that is that technically all state highways end at city limits, but state maintenance of said highways can still exist and said routes can still be posted as state highways.

Off topic but also interesting- http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-statutes/getStatute.do?number=28316
QuoteWhenever the secretary of transportation or Kansas turnpike authority shall cause to be manufactured any sign or marker which indicates mileage or distance to destination points, such sign or marker shall be manufactured so that, in addition to the requirements imposed by K.S.A. 8-2003, such mileage or distance also shall be designated in accordance with the metric system. The provisions of this section shall apply only in the event a demonstration project concerning use of the metric system on highway signs or markers is approved by the United States department of transportation.

thenetwork

Quote from: bulldog1979 on April 27, 2010, 03:13:51 AM
Actually, as I understand it, Michigan "reserved" the single-digits for a superhighway system that later became the Interstates, and they started to re-assign the single-digits later. All of the numbers less than 10 have been in use at some time except M-2.

There was briefly an M-2 -- The M-2 alignment was around in the mid-70s along Schoolcraft Road west of Detroit as the I-96/Jeffries Freeway was being constructed. M-2 was decommissioned around the time that I-96 opened from the Southfield Freeway/M-39 to I-275 in the late 70's.  What was then M-2 is now the I-96 "Service Drive" on either side of the freeway, still labeled as Schoolcraft Road.

SEWIGuy

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, which is over a year old, but Wisconsin's original state highways were numbered in order of their length.  The longest WI highway was WI-10 (current US-51 from IL to Hurley and US-2 from Hurley to MN), then WI-11, WI-12 (current US-12), etc.

Still, 2d WI highways are more "major" than 3ds, but there is no grid or any odd/even issues.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.