Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on August 31, 2022, 10:46:14 PM
BGS for the County Line Exit are up heading SB from Southport Rd, and NB only at the actual off-ramp. Heck even the on-ramp signs from Co Line Rd have I-69 shields revealed and up.

As construction continues, I expect they are just going to erect the signs as they go along instead of waiting and going back after official approval.

roadman65

I am just curious. Has any mileage signs yet been installed NB from Evansville northward?

I am aware they are waiting for completion of SR 37 to I-495 to install Indianapolis as a control city, but how are they handling the mileage signs post exits.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jnewkirk77

Quote from: roadman65 on September 06, 2022, 07:09:01 PM
I am just curious. Has any mileage signs yet been installed NB from Evansville northward?

I am aware they are waiting for completion of SR 37 to I-495 to install Indianapolis as a control city, but how are they handling the mileage signs post exits.

Nope. They're handling it by just not posting any.

SW Indiana

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on September 06, 2022, 08:18:43 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 06, 2022, 07:09:01 PM

Nope. They're handling it by just not posting any.

They can't even fix the BGS that blow over in a timely fashion. NB just south of US 50 one has been laying in the tree line since about April.

tdindy88

I believe in INDOT's plans for the next few years there is a contract (or two) out for updating signage along most of I-69 from Evansville north toward Martinsville. Sometime in 2023 or 2024. Presumably this would include putting up mileage signs along the way. I think they just want to do it all at once. Though I have no idea when exactly this contract would be let or when they'll do it, probably in 2024. Nonetheless the plans are there to do this.

I would hope that they could just redo all the signs, including the main BGSs along the stretch from Evansville north to US 231. The original signs put up along the first three sections have been shit and they blow over way too much compared to other signs along other interstates. It seems that from US 231 northward though those BGS (along Section 4 and points north) have been fine. So it seems that INDOT did a better job installing those than the first three sections which were done on the cheap. Daniels wanted a lot of I-69 done as quick as possible, he probably didn't care too much what would happen to the signs afterwards.

abqtraveler

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 07, 2022, 04:42:18 AM
I believe in INDOT's plans for the next few years there is a contract (or two) out for updating signage along most of I-69 from Evansville north toward Martinsville. Sometime in 2023 or 2024. Presumably this would include putting up mileage signs along the way. I think they just want to do it all at once. Though I have no idea when exactly this contract would be let or when they'll do it, probably in 2024. Nonetheless the plans are there to do this.

I would hope that they could just redo all the signs, including the main BGSs along the stretch from Evansville north to US 231. The original signs put up along the first three sections have been shit and they blow over way too much compared to other signs along other interstates. It seems that from US 231 northward though those BGS (along Section 4 and points north) have been fine. So it seems that INDOT did a better job installing those than the first three sections which were done on the cheap. Daniels wanted a lot of I-69 done as quick as possible, he probably didn't care too much what would happen to the signs afterwards.
It's important to remember that INDOT did everything they could to stretch the $700M they were given to build Sections 1 through 3. If they did it right, those three sections probably would have come in around $1 billion. But they managed to get it done with $700M by narrowing the median, using thinner pavement, and of course, cheap flimsy signs. While savings may have been realized up-front, the real cost to the taxpayers will be in the higher maintenance and sustainment costs associated with these sections. I would suspect in about 20 years they'll be down there completely reconstructing the pavement and subgrade after the roadway has reached its failure point.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

thefarmerchris

Quote from: abqtraveler on September 07, 2022, 11:45:25 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on September 07, 2022, 04:42:18 AM

It's important to remember that INDOT did everything they could to stretch the $700M they were given to build Sections 1 through 3. If they did it right, those three sections probably would have come in around $1 billion. But they managed to get it done with $700M by narrowing the median, using thinner pavement, and of course, cheap flimsy signs. While savings may have been realized up-front, the real cost to the taxpayers will be in the higher maintenance and sustainment costs associated with these sections. I would suspect in about 20 years they'll be down there completely reconstructing the pavement and subgrade after the roadway has reached its failure point.

That's the problem with INDOT let alone other DOTs in the county. Everything needs to be done on the cheap even when they know they will be re-doing it to standards in 20 years vs 50 years. They'll spend less money overall if they do it right the 1st time.

sprjus4

^ Didn't a segment of now I-795 / former US-117 in North Carolina have to be completely reconstructed within 5 years of the freeway opening?

RIndy

Hi, I'm new to this forum, this is just a start for me. Since my younger days, I always have follow the way Ind 37 has change to Bloomington. I was out of high school when 37 was rebuild to four lane where current I-69 took its place. Recently on my e-bike, I bike along the access road from County Line exit 160 to 144, watch how the highway is built. There is a temp ramp made at County line exit for NB to get off, but not back on. The new roundabout is completed, only waiting for the new NB lanes to be completed to Southport exit not yet completed. Yes, I-69 finally arrives in Marion county, I will be watching it as much as I can.

ITB

Quote from: RIndy on September 18, 2022, 02:29:42 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum, this is just a start for me. Since my younger days, I always have follow the way Ind 37 has change to Bloomington. I was out of high school when 37 was rebuild to four lane where current I-69 took its place. Recently on my e-bike, I bike along the access road from County Line exit 160 to 144, watch how the highway is built. There is a temp ramp made at County line exit for NB to get off, but not back on. The new roundabout is completed, only waiting for the new NB lanes to be completed to Southport exit not yet completed. Yes, I-69 finally arrives in Marion county, I will be watching it as much as I can.

Welcome to the forum!

Rothman

Quote from: RIndy on September 18, 2022, 02:29:42 PM

Heh.  My family used to drive between Bloomington and Indianapolis frequently when I was a kid on IN 37.  Last time I took that trip was in 1981...

I'm looking forward to get back down there sometime to see how much has changed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

edwaleni

I remember taking IN-37 to Bloomington in 1977 to breakup with a girl.

RIndy

The first time I went on 37 back in the 60s when it was all two lane highway going through Martinsville to Bloomington. By 72, 37 becomes four lane from 465 to Bloomington. Fifty years later, its now becoming Interstate 69. What INDOT should do when they do decommission 37 from the interstate, they should named all of access roads some part of old 37, make it all 37. By the way, the old 37 was part of Dixie highway. Imagine that.

zzcarp

So many miles and so many roads

The Ghostbuster

Some of the StreetView along Interstate 69 both within and south of Martinsville has been updated this month. Most of the rest of the corridor, Martinsville included, still has images from May 2019.

ITB

Picture update. Photos were taken Sunday, October 2, 2022, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north from the Southport Road overpass in Marion County. At this location, four bridges are being built over Little Buck Creek – two for the mainline, and two for the ramps to and from Southport Road. Three of the four have had their deck pours and are nearing completion. As construction progresses, traffic will be shifted to the new northbound mainline bridge to facilitate the construction of the southbound bridge.

Different perspective showing the four bridges. The northbound mainline splits at this location, with the right lane using a section of the old northbound bridge.

Bridge that will carry the southbound exit ramp to Southport Road; looking north. Plastic sheeting covers the recently poured concrete of the deck.

Slip form paver attachment used to form the concrete parapet walls of a bridge. Using this type of equipment is now preferred, rather than constructing forms, which is time consuming. See how similar equipment is used here.

Southport Road overpass; looking southeast.

Close up of the falsework and bridge deck finisher on the southbound exit ramp bridge over Little Buck Creek.

State Road 37/Southport Road intersection; looking south. Little bit of a squeeze there on the southbound lanes. If you're not paying attention, it's not hard to scrape that barrier wall.

Another view looking north from the Southport Road overpass.

Different look of the southbound exit ramp to Southport and the southbound lanes of SR 37; looking north.

One more looking north from the Southport Road overpass.

silverback1065

wow they may open this exit this year

ITB

More pictures. Again, photos were taken Sunday, October 2, 2022.

Looking south from the Smith Valley Road overpass and interchange work zone. All traffic is currently running on the new, recently completed southbound lanes.

Smith Valley Road overpass work zone; looking slightly northeast. Only the beams over the southbound lanes are in place, as work is just getting underway on the eastern abutment.

Different perspective showing the partial beam construction of the Smith Valley Road overpass; looking southeast.

The view looking north from the Smith Valley Road overpass work zone.

Close up of the Smith Valley Road overpass beams; looking east. Note the bearings on which the beams sit. I don't know what alloys those bearings are made of, but I imagine at least part titanium.

With the long range lens, looking south from the Smith Valley work zone. In the background is the SR 144 overpass.

Looking down at State Road 37 from the western abutment of the Smith Valley Road overpass.

State Road 37/Smith Valley Road intersection; looking northeast.

Area of the future southbound exit ramp to Smith Valley Road; looking slightly northeast. The ramp could be located right here or more to the left. Without seeing the drawings, it's hard to say at this stage of construction.

The southbound exit ramp at Smith Valley Road is supported by a extensive MSE (Mechanically Stabilized Earth) wall; looking north.

Closer look of the MSE wall construction. As the backfill material (sand-like) is compressed, the stringers attached to the MSE panels tighten and tighten. Looks like the concrete blocks have been placed to help stabilize the backfill. On top of the wall forms have been constructed for a concrete pour. After that completes, precast concrete caps will be installed to complete the wall.

Another look of the MSE wall construction at the Smith Valley Road work zone; looking north.

ITB

Few more. Photos were taken October 2, 2022.

About a mile north of the SR 144 interchange, the area where the future southbound lanes will be situated; looking south.

Turning around, the old median of State Road 37. The new southbound lanes will be constructed to the left.

Piles of twisted rebar dug up during the ripping up and removal of the old southbound lanes of SR 37; looking north from about a mile north of the SR 144 interchange.

Smith Valley Road overpass and interchange work zone; looking slightly northeast. Pictured are deck pans for the overpass (left); MSE wall caps (to the right of the deck pans); a couple MSE wall panels with embedded stringer connections (foreground). Don't see any bundles of stringers, and the stacks of fabricated folded metal sheets? Well, I'm not sure what they would be used for.

The approach to the Southport Road overpass; looking slightly northeast.

Here's the view from the other direction; looking west. The position of the sun was not advantageous.

Another view looking north from the Southport Road overpass.

And another of the southbound ramp bridge over Little Buck Creek just north of the Southport Road overpass; looking north.

Smith Valley Road overpass beams, with deck pans in the foreground; looking northeast. These are very large beams that seemed bigger than typical beams. Maybe not, but they were big nonetheless.

Another view looking north from the Smith Valley Road overpass work zone.

Southport Road overpass; looking east. This is a very wide bridge, a massive slab of concrete. Taking a decent picture that depicts that wideness was challenging.

One more looking north from the Southport Road overpass.

Oh, one more; looking south from the Southport Road overpass.

Life in Paradise

Thanks ITB.  I'm going to be traveling up through there in about two and a half weeks.  We have had such a dry fall so far that I'm expecting them to be on if not ahead of schedule with all of the favorable weather.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on October 03, 2022, 05:05:00 PM

Close up of the Smith Valley Road overpass beams; looking east. Note the bearings on which the beams sit. I don't know what alloys those bearings are made of, but I imagine at least part titanium.

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that titanium is not especially stronger than steel, but rather more lightweight than steel.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ITB

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 04, 2022, 05:41:06 PM
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that titanium is not especially stronger than steel, but rather more lightweight than steel.

Did some poking around the internet to more fully understand the difference between steel and titanium, and what you note is correct. While titanium is equal to or stronger in strength than many grades of commercial steel, steel is harder. Titanium is more lightweight, but deforms more easily than steel. Due to its lightweight titanium is often used in the aerospace industry.

So, the bearings used in bridge construction are most likely a high-grade steel alloy, with no titanium. I, too, am not an expert, and have very limited knowledge of materials science, so if anyone knows, in fact, what bridge bearings are made of, please chime in.

RIndy

I went biking today along the access road west of the new highway between County Line Exit 158 and Smith Valley, I did notice something interesting but the picture I took isn't exactly good quality which I will try to improve. file:///media/roger/5461-0035/PHOTO/PHO00013.JPG and file:///media/roger/5461-0035/PHOTO/PHO00014.JPG
I took picture showing at Exit 158 South to Evansville, and the other picture North Indianapolis. This tells me Evansville and Indianapolis will be the control cities of I-69

MATraveler128

Quote from: RIndy on October 04, 2022, 10:15:23 PM
I went biking today along the access road west of the new highway between County Line Exit 158 and Smith Valley, I did notice something interesting but the picture I took isn't exactly good quality which I will try to improve. file:///media/roger/5461-0035/PHOTO/PHO00013.JPG and file:///media/roger/5461-0035/PHOTO/PHO00014.JPG
I took picture showing at Exit 158 South to Evansville, and the other picture North Indianapolis. This tells me Evansville and Indianapolis will be the control cities of I-69

The link doesn't work.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

RIndy

Sorry about my recent post. I don't know how to upload a picture..

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.