News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Vignettes coming to Germany

Started by Road Hog, July 07, 2014, 06:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Hog

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28199383

10 euros for a 10-day pass or 100 euros per year to drive Germany's autobahns. Law is supposed to be passed sometime this year.

Austria has absolutely no room to complain.

Chris

The annual vignette is dependent on fuel type and engine size. Gasoline-powered cars pay € 2 per 100 cc with a cap of € 100. In my case I would only pay € 24 for an annual vignette (1.2 L engine).

Unfortunately they will introduce physical vignettes which you have to stick to the windshield. There are already 5 countries nearby with such vignettes (Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, Czech Republic & Slovakia). I was hoping for e-vignettes like they have in Hungary and Romania.

vdeane

Why didn't Europe adopt a transponder/bill by mail system like we have here?  I can't see how forcing people to cover their windshield with a million stickers just to drive across the continent is a good thing.  Plus you have to pay a flat rate rather than what you use.  What if you're only going a few miles down the road and are an infrequent user?  You're probably getting ripped off in that scenario!  It would be as if every Thruway user had to have the Annual Permit Plan for $88/year.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Chris

Vignettes benefit frequent users. The 10-day vignette will cost € 10. You pay that much on a French toll road for under an hour of driving, so except for cross-border shopping, vignettes are much cheaper for users than distance-based tolling.

vdeane

And I thought the Pennsylvania Turnpike was expensive!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on July 09, 2014, 10:22:07 PM
And I thought the Pennsylvania Turnpike was expensive!

The vignettes are usually cheaper than the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

(Note: $1.35=€1)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

vdeane

I was referring to the per-mile rate, which is in excess of four times more than the Thruway (it takes me four hours just to rack up $10).  Even the PTC has commuter plans, which is essentially the closest to a vignette on this side of the pond.  The northeast toll roads used to have similar token systems, but they all got eliminated when E-ZPass took over.

Chris

Most French toll roads charge between € 0.07 and € 0.12 per kilometer, or $ 0.16 - $ 0.26 per mile. While you can find such toll rates along express lanes in urban areas in the United States, they are uncommon for long-distance toll roads. The quality of French toll roads is usually nothing short of superb, but some are underutilized due to the high tolls, crossing the country from north to south can easily cost you $ 100 in tolls. France will also be introducing a truck toll on secondary routes parallel to toll roads to reduce the amount of truck traffic that avoids the tolls.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.