News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Regional signing practices that are unusual compared to everyplace else

Started by roadman65, September 27, 2014, 08:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Similar to the original post, here's a "Junction" sign at WA-7 and WA-704:

Brandon

^^ Illinois uses a very similar sign for junctions downstate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hotdogPi

In New Hampshire, if you are on US 202, junctioning NH 12 (for example), you might see JCT {202} [12], even though you are already on 202.
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is currently under repair. This means I can't update Travel Mapping and have limited ability for the image threads.

myosh_tino

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2014, 05:42:39 PM
Quote from: doofy103 on September 30, 2014, 04:23:14 PM
CT liked to have exit tabs without borders.

I seem to vaguely recall that the 1971 California exit tab experiment also lacked borders.  I'll pay close attention the next time I drive through there.

It looks like the 1971 California ones did have borders...

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Takumi

A couple other local/regional VDOT quirks:

-the Mecklenburg/Brunswick area had a lot of shields that used Series B last time I was out that way. US routes, state routes, I-85...all over the place.

-in the Glenns/Saluda/Urbanna area 3-digit state routes were signed with 2-digit shields with Series B. It looked quite nice in those examples.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cl94

A couple NYSDOT/NYSTA oddities:

-Until very recently, 3DI shields were Series D. Except in a few other northeastern states, the standard is Series C (or B if you're Ohio, but that just looks weird).

-NYSTA uses blue on white tenth-mile markers that are the size of a shoulder marker instead of the standard green-on-while tenth mile markers

-Until very recently, each NYSDOT region had a different format for tenth-mile markers. R8, for example, used small green markers, while R1 used full-size markers with the decimal in green-on-white. All now use the MUTCD-standard enhanced location marker.

-NYSDOT roads have reference markers providing location information every 1/10. Vermont has a nearly-identical system, but I know of no other states with a system as precise.

-BGSes have rounded corners and exit tabs do not overlap the curved portion of a sign (like what is seen here).

-Rest and parking areas are signed as "Text Stops", as are some Thruway service areas
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

codyg1985

Quote from: cl94 on December 22, 2014, 08:13:07 PM
-NYSTA uses blue on white tenth-mile markers that are the size of a shoulder marker instead of the standard green-on-while tenth mile markers

-Until very recently, each NYSDOT region had a different format for tenth-mile markers. R8, for example, used small green markers, while R1 used full-size markers with the decimal in green-on-white. All now use the MUTCD-standard enhanced location marker.

Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio use blue tenth or two-tenth mile markers that are more abbreviated versions of the MUTCD-standard enhanced location markers, but the newer installations in these states are the blue MUTCD-standard enhanced markers.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

NE2

-NYSDOT roads have reference markers providing location information every 1/10. Vermont has a nearly-identical system, but I know of no other states with a system as precise.
Doesn't Mass give mileage to the nearest thousandth?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pink Jazz

Quote from: codyg1985 on December 22, 2014, 08:19:13 PM

Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio use blue tenth or two-tenth mile markers that are more abbreviated versions of the MUTCD-standard enhanced location markers, but the newer installations in these states are the blue MUTCD-standard enhanced markers.

Puerto Rico uses hectometer (100 meters or one tenth of a kilometer) markers on most of its roads.  These are used for addressing purposes on the island, as most streets in Puerto Rico are not named.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Takumi on December 22, 2014, 06:59:33 PM

-the Mecklenburg/Brunswick area had a lot of shields that used Series B last time I was out that way. US routes, state routes, I-85...all over the place.

-in the Glenns/Saluda/Urbanna area 3-digit state routes were signed with 2-digit shields with Series B. It looked quite nice in those examples.

These sorts of practices are District-wide in Virginia.  District 6 had almost exclusively 2-digit shields for 3-digit routes when I moved here in 1995.  Now some 3-digit wide shields are starting to crop up in sign replacements, especially in King George County area.

Full unisigns were a District 4 thing (were also a District 2 thing way back).  Mini unisigns are cropping up all over District 8.

There are many other kinds of examples of District-specific practices.

Independent Cities do their own thing regardless of District location.

Mapmikey

vdeane

A couple NYSDOT/NYSTA oddities:

-Until very recently, 3DI shields were Series D. Except in a few other northeastern states, the standard is Series C (or B if you're Ohio, but that just looks weird).

I honestly wish NYSDOT didn't switch on these.  The series D shields look MUCH better than the series C ones, as do R1's green and white tenth mile markers.  They should leave the mile markers alone.  As much as I like the regular-sized (NOT enhanced) tenth mile markers, they make me feel like I'm in Vermont.

R1 has not adopted the enhanced reference markers for anything but the Northway, and only for full miles, not tenths.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 22, 2014, 09:07:47 PM

These sorts of practices are District-wide in Virginia.  District 6 had almost exclusively 2-digit shields for 3-digit routes when I moved here in 1995.  Now some 3-digit wide shields are starting to crop up in sign replacements, especially in King George County area.

Full unisigns were a District 4 thing (were also a District 2 thing way back).  Mini unisigns are cropping up all over District 8.

Mapmikey

I know different districts in Virginia also use different types of variable message signs.  The Hampton Roads district uses fixed row VMS, while the Richmond district uses full matrix.  Occasionally you will see a VMS in the Richmond district display the message "VDOT Sign Test", while you never see such messages in the Hampton Roads district signs.

PurdueBill

Quote from: NE2 on December 22, 2014, 09:16:34 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 22, 2014, 08:46:45 PM
Holy crap, took me long enough to find:

from http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ma/ma_187/

Those weren't posted everywhere though--mostly they were posted roughly early 90s/late 80s and were on bridges and other reference locations, not like the 2/10 markers that are all over the place like today.  They have started to disappear and some are outdated (like the marker on an underpass in the interchange on what used to be independent MA 128 after I-95 exited on its own Exit 44B before the connection through Peabody opened; it reads 0.314 or something if I recall and is still there.) 

Conventional Mass. milemarkers are the 2/10 variety like everywhere else.

codyg1985

Quote from: Pink Jazz on December 22, 2014, 09:17:29 PM

Mapmikey

I know different districts in Virginia also use different types of variable message signs.  The Hampton Roads district uses fixed row VMS, while the Richmond district uses full matrix.  Occasionally you will see a VMS in the Richmond district display the message "VDOT Sign Test", while you never see such messages in the Hampton Roads district signs.

Alabama has different VMS styles in their cities, and even within cities. Birmingham and Tuscaloosa use fixed row VMSs mounted over the travel lanes, while the recent installations in Montgomery are color, full matrix VMSs mounted on the right side of the travel lanes. Mobile has fixed row VMSs, and most of them are mounted over the travel lanes, but there is one that is mounted on the right side of the travel lanes (on I-10 east approaching the I-65 interchange).
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Takumi

Interesting. I vaguely remember some 2-digit shields for 3-digit routes somewhere in Spotsylvania County, but I can't remember when.

The Brunswick/Mecklenburg Series B shields, from what I could tell, were in the territory of VDOT's South Hill residency. They stretched from the Alberta area to at least Boydton, and all looked to be somewhat old.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Ian

Quote from: jakeroot on December 22, 2014, 05:24:51 PM
Similar to the original post, here's a "Junction" sign at WA-7 and WA-704:

New Hampshire also has a ton of these signs...

In this, you can also see how NHDOT places the suffix of a suffixed route number under the numerals themselves on their route shields, which is something I've only seen done in New Hampshire.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hubcity

Quote from: PurdueBill on December 22, 2014, 10:39:34 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 22, 2014, 09:16:34 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 22, 2014, 08:46:45 PM
Holy crap, took me long enough to find:

from http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ma/ma_187/

Those weren't posted everywhere though--mostly they were posted roughly early 90s/late 80s and were on bridges and other reference locations, not like the 2/10 markers that are all over the place like today.  They have started to disappear and some are outdated (like the marker on an underpass in the interchange on what used to be independent MA 128 after I-95 exited on its own Exit 44B before the connection through Peabody opened; it reads 0.314 or something if I recall and is still there.) 

Conventional Mass. milemarkers are the 2/10 variety like everywhere else.

On their bridge crossing markers, NJ goes to the hundredth:

(with bonus superseded state highway route marker, since this is along US 322.)

vtk

Quote from: cl94 on September 29, 2014, 11:38:29 PM
Ohio's slanted arrows to indicate option lanes stopped within the past 3 years, after the 2009 MUTCD explicitly banned downward slanting arrows.

No, that practice has not stopped in Ohio.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Ian on December 23, 2014, 11:37:43 AM

In this, you can also see how NHDOT places the suffix of a suffixed route number under the numerals themselves on their route shields, which is something I've only seen done in New Hampshire.

Virginia does this with the Y routes that are posted in full shields:

Oddly, T routes used to have the T at the top side of the circle:

Mapmikey

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on December 22, 2014, 05:56:49 PM
In New Hampshire, if you are on US 202, junctioning NH 12 (for example), you might see JCT {202} [12], even though you are already on 202.

IDOT does that as well.

Gibson City: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.425519,-88.336258&spn=0.311534,0.676346&cbll=40.45687,-88.377447&layer=c&panoid=dVpz50oCXLikZ8VTL9EfDg&cbp=12,131.39,,1,-3.28&t=m&z=11
Note, you are on IL-47, IL-54, and IL-9 at this point.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: codyg1985 on December 22, 2014, 08:19:13 PM

ISTHA uses 1/4 mile markers.  Granted, they're also the enhanced style of mile marker.

IDOT District 1 (Chicagoland) used to use their own style of mile marker down to the hundredths of a mile, slapped on every or every-other light pole.

dfnva

Mapmikey

I've noticed that, as well. Not sure which VDOT district is which, but, have seen these quirks...

Northern VA (Pr. William, Fairfax, Loudon, Arlington): Use of 2-digit shield blanks for a good number of years for 3-digit routes. Still is done to some extent; only district with use of cutaway visors for the vast majority of traffic signals
Staunton District: Extensive use of yellow poles, use of mini-rectangles in some areas for secondary routes.
Culpeper District: Some new unisigns with mini shields (like the ones in the Staunton district) are popping up, replacing mini-shields. Saw one a few days ago approaching VA-28 in rural Fauquier County.
Lynchburg District: Use of "Left on Green Arrow Only" signs next to protected left turn signals, as opposed to "Left Turn Signal" (or no signage).

Is there a reason why these and other practices are not standardized by Richmond?

vdeane

If VDOT is like NYSDOT, it's because the regional offices just go and do their own thing regardless of what the main office says.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Quote from: vdeane on December 23, 2014, 04:19:03 PM
If VDOT is like NYSDOT, it's because the regional offices just go and do their own thing regardless of what the main office says.

Sounds like IDOT.  Screw Springfield, we'll do our own damned thing!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.