Allston Multimodal Project

Started by Plutonic Panda, March 23, 2024, 03:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

I tried to find a thread on this, and I couldn't. This is a pretty big project right now pegged at $1.9 billion. Wouldn't be surprised if it went over that.

Improvements include:

QuoteThe interchange is crucial to the Commonwealth's roadway network. Improvement to I-90 as part of this project will ensure its efficient operation. Improvements include:

Improved livability, connectivity, and open space for residents of the Allston neighborhood

Improved regional mobility and roadway safety with the straightening of I-90. The project will also shrink the Allston interchange.

Replacing the aging Allston Viaduct, decreasing the need for traffic-impacting maintenance on this section of I-90

Creating a new open space along the Charles River

Complete Streets improvements to Cambridge Street

Enhanced bicycle and pedestrian connections

Significant transit enhancements with the new West Station and Commuter Rail layover facility, providing greater access and improvements to the Commuter Rail and local bus service

Removing elevated bridge structure allows for an improved gateway into the city and enhanced neighborhood views.

Allows for an attractive and highly desired pedestrian/bicycle connection from Agganis Way to Charles River.

Project website: https://www.mass.gov/allston-multimodal-project

Plutonic Panda

It also just received an additional $335 million federal funding:

https://www.wbur.org/news/2024/03/12/infrastructure-i90-allston-federal-funds

Plutonic Panda

Some additional information:

QuoteThe I-90 Allston project calls for straightening and lowering to ground level the Massachusetts Turnpike as it passes between Boston University and the Charles River, making way for Harvard to create a whole new neighborhood, complete with a new MBTA station, on the university's vast holdings in the area.

The project also holds promise for reconnecting a section of Boston that was severed by the construction of the Massachusetts Turnpike. By bringing the Turnpike to ground level, planners hope to build North-South connections in the area and provide greater access to the Charles River for residents on the Boston side who have been cut off by the highway.

For years, state transportation officials have talked about the project and how it should be designed, but funding has always remained elusive. The project previously failed to win federal funding under various programs, but in late September last year state transportation officials put together a more realistic funding plan for the project and set their sights on the federal program designed to reunify neighborhoods stranded by previous transportation projects.

The funding plan calls for construction to begin in 2027. Funding would come from unspecified state bonds and loans ($470 million), existing Turnpike toll funds ($200 million), and revenues from the millionaire tax ($450 million).

Another $300 million would come from the city of Boston, Harvard, and Boston University. The city would put up $100 million, another $100 million would come from so-called value capture from Harvard, and Harvard and BU in a 90-10 split would put $100 million toward a new West Station.

Read more here: https://commonwealthbeacon.org/transportation/i-90-allston-projects-gets-335m-in-federal-funding/

Another news article on it: https://www.roadsbridges.com/funding/news/33039292/massachusetts-dot-to-move-forward-with-allston-i-90-project

Rothman

So...Harvard on the south side of the river...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2024, 09:14:49 AM

It's an auxiliary campus.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SectorZ

https://www.wcvb.com/article/massachusetts-cape-cod-bridge-replacement-funding/60281383

Tibbitts-Nutt also wouldn't rule out raising Mass Pike tolls to pay the $2 billion cost of straightening the highway in Allston.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2024, 09:14:49 AM
The main impetus here is the structures are due for replacement anyway and the interchange is grossly overbuilt, so they can free up a ton of land to rebuild more compact and put that land to better use.

RobbieL2415

Why is is $2B? Is there a lot of materials cleanup involved? I feel like I'm missing something.

SectorZ

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 26, 2024, 05:09:27 PMWhy is is $2B? Is there a lot of materials cleanup involved? I feel like I'm missing something.

200 state reps and senators in my state and I haven't seen one ask this question either.

Ted$8roadFan

THE 1960S era interchanges were shoehorned in to what was an active railroad and semi-industrial area that no longer exists The structures neeed to be replaced and the ramps need to be modernized, especially from the Pike to Cambridge that backs up every day. $2B is.a lot, but given the high cost of doing anything around here, it's not that inconceivable

DJStephens

Agreed.  Grew up in that area (1970's - 80's) when the viaduct structure was still fairly new.   It was elevated over a large rail road yard.  Am guessing the rail road mainlines still exist, but the yard has been removed.  The original rail mainlines were four lines heading west out of Boston, two were removed during the mid sixties Turnpike extension construction into Boston.    Have heard in past, that originally the planners wished to construct the Turnpike extension further south, along a Commonwealth Avenue aligment, but tony homes and prices, even back then, made it unworkable.   Therefore, cheaper land along the rail lines, and away from the exclusive neighborhoods to the south, made paralleling the railroad alignment the chosen one.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.