News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluecountry

That ramp from 95 to the HRD south, any plans to actually pave it?  Condition is awful.

Declan127

Quote from: bluecountry on July 05, 2022, 01:49:16 PM
That ramp from 95 to the HRD south, any plans to actually pave it?  Condition is awful.

From my experience, the DOT takes quite a while to pave roads, no matter how important. There was quite a while where the Broad Channel approach to the Cross Bay Bridge and North Conduit Avenue and the Exit 1W ramp from the Van Wyck were both unpaved, and then equally as long unstriped.
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

cockroachking

Nothing has changed since February.

Pete from Boston

With today's announcement of the death of James Caan, I'm curious, does anyone know if the details of the toll booth are based in any late-1940s Greater New York reality? Like these "˜toll paid' lights, for example.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 07, 2022, 08:10:57 PM
With today's announcement of the death of James Caan, I'm curious, does anyone know if the details of the toll booth are based in any late-1940s Greater New York reality? Like these "˜toll paid' lights, for example.

This may provide some context:

https://godfather.fandom.com/wiki/Jones_Beach_Causeway

bluecountry

Quote from: cockroachking on July 06, 2022, 12:03:50 PM
I do not understand WHY they do not make this a priority...

cockroachking

Quote from: bluecountry on July 19, 2022, 12:26:55 AM
It costs money, and they are busy with other projects I'm sure, besides the obvious GWB cashless tolling conversion. PANYNJ, like most toll agencies, is not made of money, contrary to popular belief.

Not to mention the traffic ramifications that would result from even a partial closure for work...

bluecountry

Quote from: cockroachking on July 19, 2022, 09:47:56 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on July 19, 2022, 12:26:55 AM
It costs money, and they are busy with other projects I'm sure, besides the obvious GWB cashless tolling conversion. PANYNJ, like most toll agencies, is not made of money, contrary to popular belief.

Not to mention the traffic ramifications that would result from even a partial closure for work...
This needs to be a priority, it really sucks.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/nUDUUbQbgJSQSYDP7
Why does Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn prohibit Trucks? 

Considering NY Parkways don't allow semis or delivery trucks due to height of the vehicle not able to fit under bridges, Ocean Parkway is not applicable in this rationale. It has no low height bridges.

It's not even a freeway.

Also is this for real?  https://goo.gl/maps/RZQ31HafcX98DCo78
A subway that gives a very short headroom on a freeway.   
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on August 12, 2022, 11:22:31 PM

Considering NY Parkways don't allow semis or delivery trucks due to height of the vehicle not able to fit under bridges, Ocean Parkway is not applicable in this rationale. It has no low height bridges.

It's not even a freeway.

Also is this for real?  https://goo.gl/maps/RZQ31HafcX98DCo78
A subway that gives a very short headroom on a freeway.   

The second thing is for real. Belt Pkwy doesn't allow trucks for a reason. That was also done that way to fit the roadway into that spot without having to get the bridge rebuilt.

Also, in NYC, a Parkway is a Parkway and is restricted to passenger cars only, even if it's not limited access and doesn't have overpasses that are too low. Eastern Parkway also has a truck restriction like this, even though there are no overpasses along its length.

vdeane

I've heard that the parkways (or at least the LOSP upstate) were constructed with thinner pavement since trucks wouldn't be using them, though I'm not sure if that's the case downstate or with the Ocean Parkway in particular.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Declan127

I like that the ramp from the GCP to the JRP has been separated from the Van Wyck ramp, but why is Union Tpke. also listed as a destination when it could be on a separate sign (similar to Main Street at the same interchange)? "Brooklyn" is definitely more useful here, especially for traffic coming from the airport. Union can be put on a supplementary sign because most traffic going to either of it's endpoints is going to be using the parkways and local traffic can follow that sign.
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

SignBridge

A conclusion I've reached over the years is no matter how the engineers choose to sign a given location, there are always several other ways it could have been done.

empirestate

It's not even a freeway.

This is something that quite a lot of people get backwards (understandably): Parkways don't prohibit trucks because they have low bridges; parkways have low bridges because they prohibit trucks.

The Ghostbuster

Also, the parkways were constructed before the expressways were. I doubt there is much that can be done to raise parkway overpasses and underpasses to Interstate Standard heights, in order to allow trucks to safely pass through.

cockroachking

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 25, 2022, 02:58:09 PM
Also, the parkways were constructed before the expressways were. I doubt there is much that can be done to raise parkway overpasses and underpasses to Interstate Standard heights, in order to allow trucks to safely pass through.
The "easiest" way for most of them would be to lower the parkway, but they flood enough already, not to mention the cost of regrading the entire cross section of a parkway.

SignBridge

Quote from: empirestate on August 25, 2022, 11:33:06 AM

It's not even a freeway.

This is something that quite a lot of people get backwards (understandably): Parkways don't prohibit trucks because they have low bridges; parkways have low bridges because they prohibit trucks.

That's the way the legendary Robert Moses and his engineers deliberately planned it. Built the bridges too low so that large trucks could never use the recreational Parkways. The only way that will ever change is if all the bridges were torn down and replaced with modern ones with 14 ft. clearance. But it could happen some day........

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/fPmvCUyvz6PBFApVA

I was noticing that at the transition point of the Henry Hudson Parkway to 12th Avenue, the city has a pull through for SB NY 9A, stating the legislative name for 12th Avenue, named after the famous Yankee Clipper.

I though it was odd. considering that his name on paper (and some maps) was not that important enough to warrant the signs to feature it.    Not that I have anything against it, but in a way glad that they did that.  After all the man is a legend in the MLB and is dead, but remembered solely for. his playing ball and  such.

However, not to praise NYCDOT or NYSDOT here, just to state that its really there.  Being from the south, I only get to learn about road things from here or GSV, so this is new news for many of you who have seen it for a long time.

Sheryl Crowe

cockroachking

Quote from: SignBridge on August 25, 2022, 08:13:14 PM
Quote from: empirestate on August 25, 2022, 11:33:06 AM

It's not even a freeway.

That's the way the legendary Robert Moses and his engineers deliberately planned it. Built the bridges too low so that large trucks could never use the recreational Parkways. The only way that will ever change is if all the bridges were torn down and replaced with modern ones with 14 ft. clearance. But it could happen some day........
At the rate thing are going in NY, we will probably see 14ft clearance on every parkway bridge around the year 2080 or so if I had to guess. Every parkway bridge replacement the past 10 years (off the top of my head) has had ample clearance, and those old stone bridges last a long time, but not forever.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: roadman65 on August 30, 2022, 02:10:40 PM
I though it was odd. considering that his name on paper (and some maps) was not that important enough to warrant the signs to feature it.    Not that I have anything against it, but in a way glad that they did that.  After all the man is a legend in the MLB and is dead, but remembered solely for. his playing ball and  such.

However, not to praise NYCDOT or NYSDOT here, just to state that its really there.  Being from the south, I only get to learn about road things from here or GSV, so this is new news for many of you who have seen it for a long time.

It's been there since at least 2001, maybe earlier.

roadman65

I see per GSV a new ramp is being built from the Upper Level GWB to loop around to somewhere departing from the 178th Street exit.  Plus the North Sidewalk is being redone over the Palisades Parkway on the NJ side to eliminate ( I'm guessing here) the stairs over the NB parkway as the new crossing seems to zig and zag.   I guess the PANYNJ is finally conforming to the ADA.

I hope the stairs on the NY side are being replaced as I walked the bridge in 03 and climbed the stairs on both ends.

Sheryl Crowe

bluecountry

One thing I will tell you, NYC expressways, interstates, and parkways SUCK.
Man, I wish they could upgrade.

The Ghostbuster

If the Interstates and Parkways in New York City could be upgraded, I think they would. However, with all the constraints (physical, political, as well as local), any improvements to NYC's road system would be a pipe dream. About the only change you might see is the exit numbers being renumbered from sequential-to-mileage-based, and even that seems far fetched at this point.

Alps

Quote from: bluecountry on September 05, 2022, 09:00:55 PM
One thing I will tell you, NYC expressways, interstates, and parkways SUCK.
Man, I wish they could upgrade.
your attitude does

SignBridge

Alps, I think blue country's  statement was accurate. LOL

What's with your attitude today?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.