News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: SignBridge on April 28, 2021, 10:14:51 PM
What's the story with the parkways in NYC? Is it the NYC Parks Dept?

No, it's always either the city or state DOT, or both (split jurisdiction). For a rundown, see p. 70 of the touring route manual.

vdeane

Yeah, with the expressways and surface roads, it's easy to say "all are X except for Y" (the NYSDOT surface roads are NY 895 and Rockaway Boulevard - which begs the question of why NY 878 has a gap in the first place).  Not so with the parkways!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on April 29, 2021, 12:51:19 PM
Yeah, with the expressways and surface roads, it's easy to say "all are X except for Y" (the NYSDOT surface roads are NY 895 and Rockaway Boulevard - which begs the question of why NY 878 has a gap in the first place).  Not so with the parkways!
because they never redefined 878 over the existing roads! it could still be built! <s>

roadman65

I see in GSV that the toll booths at the Goethals Bridge have been removed.  The plaza especially the office bridge over the lanes is still up.

What other PA NYNJ crossings have gone cash less?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: roadman65 on May 04, 2021, 08:19:47 PM
I see in GSV that the toll booths at the Goethals Bridge have been removed.  The plaza especially the office bridge over the lanes is still up.

The Lincoln and GWB Upper level have toll booths. Everything else is cashless

ixnay

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on May 04, 2021, 09:21:45 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 04, 2021, 08:19:47 PM

What about the Holland?

ixnay

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: ixnay on May 05, 2021, 10:21:18 AM

What about the Holland?

ixnay

Holland is cashless. The toll structure has only been partially demolished, but most of the booths are removed so it's free flowing traffic into the tunnel

ixnay

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on May 05, 2021, 11:29:10 PM

What about the Holland?

ixnay

Holland is cashless. The toll structure has only been partially demolished, but most of the booths are removed so it's free flowing traffic into the tunnel

I see.  The ends of the barrier were gone as of Nov. 2020, although Google Sat shows the barrier as still fully functioning.

How much lag is there usually between capturing Google Sat and GSV views when it comes to updating?

And any idea when the Lincoln and George will become fully cashless?

ixnay

roadman65

Quote from: ixnay on May 06, 2021, 08:48:40 AM

What about the Holland?

ixnay

I see.  The ends of the barrier were gone as of Nov. 2020, although Google Sat shows the barrier as still fully functioning.

How much lag is there usually between capturing Google Sat and GSV views when it comes to updating?

ixnay

How are all the lanes on 12th Street now merging without the barrier? Remember the tunnel is only two lanes and 12th Street is super wide.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on May 06, 2021, 08:53:39 AM
Quote from: ixnay on May 06, 2021, 08:48:40 AM

What about the Holland?

ixnay

ixnay

How are all the lanes on 12th Street now merging without the barrier? Remember the tunnel is only two lanes and 12th Street is super wide.

GSV is updated as of November. Looks like they've narrowed 12th St down to around 3 lanes heading into the toll plaza. I haven't seen any plans, but I presume they'll just leave it narrowed down like that and traffic should just funnel through since there's no need to stop at a toll booth now.

roadman65

Someone in another thread wanted to know what state had the most/least amount of traffic signals. 

Here is what Google has to say about NYC.
How many traffic signals are there in New York City? As of June 30, 2011, there were 12,460 intersections with traffic signals citywide, including 2,820 in Manhattan, 1,605 in the Bronx, 4,371 in Brooklyn, 3,119 in Queens and 545 in Staten Island.

If any lights were added I am sure they were on Staten Island as I can't see the other boroughs expanding them in the last ten years.

Sheryl Crowe

crispy93

Quote from: roadman65 on May 12, 2021, 08:21:43 AM
Someone in another thread wanted to know what state had the most/least amount of traffic signals. 

How many traffic signals are there in New York City? As of June 30, 2011, there were 12,460 intersections with traffic signals citywide, including 2,820 in Manhattan, 1,605 in the Bronx, 4,371 in Brooklyn, 3,119 in Queens and 545 in Staten Island.

If any lights were added I am sure they were on Staten Island as I can't see the other boroughs expanding them in the last ten years.

I asked NYCDOT to allow right-on-red at an intersection with no cross traffic and was told no: https://goo.gl/maps/LATaVfr3DJ7qP8Xv7

When I'm driving to Long Island, the Cross Island between the Throgs Neck Bridge and the LIE is always the worst leg of the trip. It all seems to be volume getting on the LIE. Since the LIE is always backed up, and the exit from the CIP is a tight squeeze, the mainline of the CIP southbound backs up back to the bridge. I feel like extending the short deceleration lane for the queuing cars might help: https://goo.gl/maps/e62rJuEZjHFfBjpq8 Also doesn't help that half the traffic getting off do so at the very last second.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/LATaVfr3DJ7qP8Xv7

That should be a permitted turn.  Considering NY State is a Blue State with both DiBlasio and Cuomo being anti pollution, they both would push for intersections like these to RTOR to cut down on CO2 emissions.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on May 12, 2021, 03:50:26 PM

That should be a permitted turn.  Considering NY State is a Blue State with both DiBlasio and Cuomo being anti pollution, they both would push for intersections like these to RTOR to cut down on CO2 emissions.

NTOR is city-wide and that's likely never going to change.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on May 12, 2021, 04:56:32 PM

You will not see NTOR removed if there is a conflicting crosswalk.

empirestate

Quote from: storm2k on May 12, 2021, 04:56:32 PM

Perhaps, but there are many intersections where the restriction is waived.

Quote from: Alps on May 12, 2021, 06:05:10 PM
You will not see NTOR removed if there is a conflicting crosswalk.

That was my guess as to the reason–although it may be more accurate to say marked crosswalk, as there is an implicit unmarked crosswalk at any intersection.

SignBridge

No conflicting crosswalk at that intersection as there is no sidewalk on the left side of the road. Puzzling that NYC would not permit Right-on-red after stop there, or even install a right-turn green arrow.

Mayor DiBlasio is anti-traffic movement. He thinks 25 mph is a reasonable speed-limit for Queens Blvd. So maybe not so surprising at that.

empirestate

Quote from: SignBridge on May 12, 2021, 08:20:28 PM
No conflicting crosswalk at that intersection as there is no sidewalk on the left side of the road. Puzzling that NYC would not permit Right-on-red after stop there, or even install a right-turn green arrow.

This would be a right turn on red–there is a crosswalk conflicting with that movement.

More pertinent than the crosswalk though, is that this looks to me like a fire station signal. If it's turning red then you probably do want to stop all movements, including right turns.

vdeane

Quote from: empirestate on May 12, 2021, 09:42:01 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on May 12, 2021, 08:20:28 PM

This would be a right turn on red–there is a crosswalk conflicting with that movement.

More pertinent than the crosswalk though, is that this looks to me like a fire station signal. If it's turning red then you probably do want to stop all movements, including right turns.
I was wondering why that signal even exists.  There are no pedestrian signals in the area, so it clearly wasn't put in to protect that crosswalk, which is marked but uncontrolled.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on May 12, 2021, 09:57:49 PM
I was wondering why that signal even exists.  There are no pedestrian signals in the area, so it clearly wasn't put in to protect that crosswalk, which is marked but uncontrolled.

Yeah, and there are no markings for the intersection itself, and no traffic this signal could apply to if not the fire house. In fact, literally the only conflicting movement anywhere in this intersection would be right turns versus pedestrians in the crosswalk. So allowing RTOR wouldn't make sense–if it came to that, you'd just not have the signal and let it work as any other side street.

And, oh, I think we can say with utmost certainty that the political motivations of the various local officials are altogether meaningless here. :-)

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Nah, there has been a fair amount of new signal installation all over the city. NYC is pretty aggressive with installing traffic signals based on pedestrian volume warrants. If you make a request to the commissioner for a signal and it meets a warrant, it's likely to be installed, although the process takes a while.

fmendes

Quote from: crispy93 on May 12, 2021, 01:18:52 PM

I asked NYCDOT to allow right-on-red at an intersection with no cross traffic and was told no: https://goo.gl/maps/LATaVfr3DJ7qP8Xv7

When I'm driving to Long Island, the Cross Island between the Throgs Neck Bridge and the LIE is always the worst leg of the trip. It all seems to be volume getting on the LIE. Since the LIE is always backed up, and the exit from the CIP is a tight squeeze, the mainline of the CIP southbound backs up back to the bridge. I feel like extending the short deceleration lane for the queuing cars might help: https://goo.gl/maps/e62rJuEZjHFfBjpq8 Also doesn't help that half the traffic getting off do so at the very last second.
what they should do is use the wide left hand shoulder on the ramp and make it so u can exit from the Decell lane and the Right lane making the ramp 2 lanes cause the ramp before it merges with the ramp from NB CIP goes into 2 lanes so it would make sense and would accomadate drivers merging at the very last moment

SidS1045

Quote from: storm2k on May 12, 2021, 04:56:32 PMNTOR is city-wide and that's likely never going to change.

IIRC it is a state law, worded so as to prohibit right-turn-on-red unless a sign is posted permitting it, in cities of over one million population.  It was enacted in the 1930's at the request of the city council and Mayor LaGuardia and is in the state's drivers manual.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

empirestate

Quote from: SidS1045 on May 13, 2021, 03:09:49 PM
IIRC it is a state law, worded so as to prohibit right-turn-on-red unless a sign is posted permitting it, in cities of over one million population.  It was enacted in the 1930's at the request of the city council and Mayor LaGuardia and is in the state's drivers manual.

There's even one further nuance, if I'm not mistaken. The state law does't directly prohibit RTOR in cities over one million, but rather empowers such cities to do so.

vdeane

Quote from: SidS1045 on May 13, 2021, 03:09:49 PM
Quote from: storm2k on May 12, 2021, 04:56:32 PMNTOR is city-wide and that's likely never going to change.

I thought RTOR originated in the 70s oil crisis and before then was banned everywhere.  How would the legislation enabling NYC to ban it originate in the 30s?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.