News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: SignBridge on July 24, 2023, 07:36:35 PM
Also: what about those who live in the congestion zone? Will they have to pay to drive into the neighborhood where they live?

From what I've read, they would charge the fee, but if the household earns $60,000 or less per year, the fees paid will be refunded at income tax time via a tax credit.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 24, 2023, 09:49:21 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on July 24, 2023, 09:35:21 PM
Cringe.
Care to elaborate?
I mean, it's pretty simple: taking the money from people who drive to send it to mass transit is cringe.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: LilianaUwU on July 24, 2023, 10:36:00 PM
Cringe.
Care to elaborate?
I mean, it's pretty simple: taking the money from people who drive to send it to mass transit is cringe.
Ah my bad I thought you were saying my comment was cringe.

roadman65

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 24, 2023, 11:50:01 PM
Cringe.
Care to elaborate?

Well NY has other cities like Buffalo and Rochester help finance the busses and the subways on the other end of the state as its NY State that subsidizes the city's transit and not the city. So every taxpayer in NYS funds the failing transit system.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: roadman65 on July 25, 2023, 12:04:58 AM
Cringe.
Care to elaborate?

Well NY has other cities like Buffalo and Rochester help finance the busses and the subways on the other end of the state as its NY State that subsidizes the city's transit and not the city. So every taxpayer in NYS funds the failing transit system.
There's no shortage of rich people in New York City. Tell them to pony up the money or start shutting lines down. I'm sure a solution other than taxing the bejeezus out of every car that enters the city on a street can be found.

roadman65

New York City has the highest real estate tax in the world, but to hypothesize on how to get that into the MTA will open a can of worms as that's been the age old debate between the Hatfields and the McCoys who blame the other party for the money diversions.

Sheryl Crowe

SidS1045

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 25, 2023, 01:38:13 AMThere's no shortage of rich people in New York City. Tell them to pony up the money or start shutting lines down.

Only one problem with that solution:  Rich people don't take the subway or bus.  They can afford the congestion charge, whatever it turns out to be, and they couldn't care less if subway or bus routes are eliminated, even if those trips in their Lincoln Town Cars are longer than before.

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 25, 2023, 01:38:13 AMI'm sure a solution other than taxing the bejeezus out of every car that enters the city on a street can be found.

If you've got one, we're all ears...er, eyes.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman65 on July 25, 2023, 07:10:56 AMNew York City has the highest real estate tax in the world...

Maybe in actual dollars, but as a percentage of assessed value: not even close.  NYC's real estate tax averages 0.98%.  The US national average is 1.07%.  As for the rest of the world, Belgium's is the highest...11.3%.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Cringe.
Care to elaborate?

Roadman65, why do you say the failing transit system? It seemed quite functional to me the last time I rode it a few weeks ago.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: Alps on July 24, 2023, 07:24:33 PM
First gantry: West End Ave heading south from 61st St. There's gonna have to be a gantry on every single avenue at 61st... and what the HECK are they gonna do south of there with all the interchanges along FDR and all the side streets along West St?

The Final EA for the program, Chapter 2, has detailed diagrams showing where all the tolling equipment is going to be located.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 24, 2023, 10:05:36 PM
Also: what about those who live in the congestion zone? Will they have to pay to drive into the neighborhood where they live?

From what I've read, they would charge the fee, but if the household earns $60,000 or less per year, the fees paid will be refunded at income tax time via a tax credit.
How many people live in the congestion zone and earn less than $60k? That's not livable in NYC.

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on July 25, 2023, 08:13:20 PM
Cringe.
Care to elaborate?

Roadman65, why do you say the failing transit system? It seemed quite functional to me the last time I rode it a few weeks ago.

Perhaps failing is wrong word to use as it indicates in terms of service and maintenance. I mean financially failing as the fares can't support itself and the city can't subsidize it so the entire state flips the balance to keep it running.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on July 26, 2023, 04:23:26 AM
Quote from: SignBridge on July 25, 2023, 08:13:20 PM
Cringe.
Care to elaborate?

Perhaps failing is wrong word to use as it indicates in terms of service and maintenance. I mean financially failing as the fares can't support itself and the city can't subsidize it so the entire state flips the balance to keep it running.

What transportation system (transit, rail, highway...) in the U.S.A. operates without any sort of public subsidy?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on July 25, 2023, 11:04:05 PM
First gantry: West End Ave heading south from 61st St. There's gonna have to be a gantry on every single avenue at 61st... and what the HECK are they gonna do south of there with all the interchanges along FDR and all the side streets along West St?

The Final EA for the program, Chapter 2, has detailed diagrams showing where all the tolling equipment is going to be located.
That doesn't seem to be nearly as many tolling points as one would think.  Are they no longer exempting West Street and FDR Drive from the tolling like they said?  Or are they creating a loophole where if someone directly enters one of those roads, but then exits in the tolled area, they don't have to pay?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on July 26, 2023, 12:49:28 PM
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on July 25, 2023, 11:04:05 PM

That doesn't seem to be nearly as many tolling points as one would think.  Are they no longer exempting West Street and FDR Drive from the tolling like they said?  Or are they creating a loophole where if someone directly enters one of those roads, but then exits in the tolled area, they don't have to pay?
I mean, it makes sense to toll it at those relatively fewer points, but then I don't know how they are going to arrange a toll-free routing. Because you can't really put a time limit - traffic in NYC could easily back you up an hour trying to go around if everyone else is going around, and you're "not allowed to leave the outer roadways". This strikes me that they've given up and just will toll everyone.

I'll be the guy driving the wrong way on a one-way for a block...

Duke87

I'm puzzled why there seem to be cameras over both halves of the divided roadway. I assumed drivers would only have to pay the toll when entering the congestion zone. Will they actually be tolled when leaving the area too?

The idea is you get assessed the congestion fee for every calendar day you operate a vehicle in the designated area. The gantry on the outbound side is to catch anyone who stayed parked in the CBD overnight (or leaves after midnight), because they will need to pay the fee both for the day they entered and the day they exited. If you enter and exit on the same day you will not be charged twice. Indeed, you can enter and exit as many times as you want in one day and only get charged once - so get your money's worth :)

Quote from: Alps on July 27, 2023, 12:11:42 AM
Quote from: vdeane on July 26, 2023, 12:49:28 PM
I mean, it makes sense to toll it at those relatively fewer points, but then I don't know how they are going to arrange a toll-free routing. Because you can't really put a time limit - traffic in NYC could easily back you up an hour trying to go around if everyone else is going around, and you're "not allowed to leave the outer roadways". This strikes me that they've given up and just will toll everyone.

The problem is, the EIS does otherwise talk about traffic on the West Side Highway and FDR drive being exempt, and the enabling state statute requires it to be.

So, they probably are going to attempt to pair up tag reads to detect someone being exempt thru traffic, and will simply accept that someone making a quick dropoff en route might get away with not paying. And of course they'll still publicly state "you become subject to the congestion fee once you exit the West Side Highway or FDR Drive".

The EIS does also mention deployment of portable detectors, so it will never be possible to guarantee you won't get caught leaving the exempt roads briefly.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

roadman65

I saw an article in the Sun that brings up the faulty management of the MTA.  I'd share but it's one of those links that forces you to subscribe to their media like The NY Times when you try to read their webpage.

If you Google the NY Sun, you can find it and hopefully someone here knows how to circumvent those news websites tactics to get $$ from the readers.

Sheryl Crowe

Mergingtraffic

Has the new improved Kew Gardens Interchange helped at all?

I noticed bad traffic on I-678 NB by NY-25A past the Kew, I just wondered if it pushed the backup further north?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

bluecountry

Speaking of tolls, are the toll booths approaching the GW being demolished?

Alps

Curiosity brought up this beast: Is there a log somewhere of which NYC Interstates are state maintained, state owned, city maintained, city owned?

Alps

Quote from: bluecountry on August 03, 2023, 09:31:02 PM
Speaking of tolls, are the toll booths approaching the GW being demolished?
yes.

NE2

Quote from: Alps on August 05, 2023, 09:09:20 PM
Curiosity brought up this beast: Is there a log somewhere of which NYC Interstates are state maintained, state owned, city maintained, city owned?
All I've found is this from who knows how long ago showing ownership: https://www.dot.ny.gov/regional-offices/region11/general-info/built-and-unbuilt-arterial-system
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

^ The RIS GIS Viewer has a maintenance jurisdiction layer.
https://gis.dot.ny.gov/html5viewer/?viewer=risviewer
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

Quote from: vdeane on August 05, 2023, 09:22:25 PM
^ The RIS GIS Viewer has a maintenance jurisdiction layer.
https://gis.dot.ny.gov/html5viewer/?viewer=risviewer
Which looks to be full of shit, given that it shows the FDR and Henry Hudson as city maintained but the ramps as state maintained.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.