A Road that has a higher speed limit in a business district than outside of it

Started by roadman65, November 27, 2015, 09:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

One thing that I always thought was odd when I lived in NJ was on CR 531 through The Plainfields how the speed limit in Downtown Plainfield was higher than it was outside the business area. 

If you traveled Northbound on CR 531 through South Plainfield (which should be posted at 40 mph) which is through suburban areas the speed limit is only 25 mph. Yet cross into Downtown Plainfield and the speed limit is 30 mph!  You have parked cars, stoplights, pedestrians, and other urban conditions and yet its 5 mph higher than outside the business district.

Anyway, the actual reason is because the area that is 25 mph is in another city.  Actually the Borough of South Plainfield which loves its 25 mph speed limit throughout its limits. Only I-287 and Hamilton Blvd have higher speed limits. Of course I-287 they cannot control as it is a state road, and Hamiltion Blvd. near as I can tell is probably 35 mph to act as a token if people complain about the borough being 25 happy, they can easily say that they are not by using Hamilton as prime example.

Any other instance where one particular road has a lower speed limit after it leaves the business district it transits?  The thread is not to debate lower speed limits set by communities over normal set speed zones in others, but on the same road where the usual protocol of higher speed limits once outside the business area is not only the same, but actually lower for whatever reason.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.