News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 16, 2023, 03:01:35 PM
None. There is no large enough population south of I-40 at this time that would warrant such a route nor issues with the existing routes now to justify a bypass. NCDOT has no information, maps, or plans at this time either; so it remains only an idea.
IMO, if any southern projects are to go through, the biggest one needs to be widening I-40 between I-74 and Salem Parkway to 6 lanes. It remains the only portion (excluding brief interchange transitions) of I-40 between Winston-Salem and Raleigh to be 4 lanes (once the widening east of I-85 is complete near Durham).

kendallhart808

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 15, 2023, 07:20:50 PM
I think the Interstate 274 designation should only run along the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway from Interstate 40 to US 52/future Interstate 74/future Interstate 285. The portion from US 158 to Interstate 40 should have the NC 452 designation. I also think the portion of present Interstate 74 along the old US 311 that is being bypassed by the WSNB should become Interstate 474 instead of NC 192 (although I am confident the proposed NC 192 boulevard between Interstate 40 and US 421/Salem Parkway mentioned on Wikipedia will never be built).

I think NCDOT will propose an interstate number for "NC 192"  once we get closer to a finish date for the I-74 to I-40 part of the bypass. I just can't really see any real reason why they wouldn't. I personally like the idea of it being I-740 because you have both 74 and 40 in the number and personally that's just very satisfying. But whether or not that happens idk.

bob7374

Quote from: kendallhart808 on February 17, 2023, 10:58:05 AM
I think the Interstate 274 designation should only run along the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway from Interstate 40 to US 52/future Interstate 74/future Interstate 285. The portion from US 158 to Interstate 40 should have the NC 452 designation. I also think the portion of present Interstate 74 along the old US 311 that is being bypassed by the WSNB should become Interstate 474 instead of NC 192 (although I am confident the proposed NC 192 boulevard between Interstate 40 and US 421/Salem Parkway mentioned on Wikipedia will never be built).

I think NCDOT will propose an interstate number for "NC 192"  once we get closer to a finish date for the I-74 to I-40 part of the bypass. I just can't really see any real reason why they wouldn't. I personally like the idea of it being I-740 because you have both 74 and 40 in the number and personally that's just very satisfying. But whether or not that happens idk.
Sounds like a good idea, that NCDOT is probably not taking. The reason for their assigning an NC number to the roadway was so that they would not have to upgrade it to interstate standards. Unlike the roadway east of the Bypass interchange which the FHWA mistakenly thought was up to interstate standards when they allowed NCDOT to sign it as I-74. Some if the upgrade work will be done as part of the Beltway construction contract.

wdcrft63

Quote from: bob7374 on February 17, 2023, 05:35:07 PM
Quote from: kendallhart808 on February 17, 2023, 10:58:05 AM

Sounds like a good idea, that NCDOT is probably not taking. The reason for their assigning an NC number to the roadway was so that they would not have to upgrade it to interstate standards. Unlike the roadway east of the Bypass interchange which the FHWA mistakenly thought was up to interstate standards when they allowed NCDOT to sign it as I-74. Some if the upgrade work will be done as part of the Beltway construction contract.
At least it will have a primary highway number. In a very similar situation in Raleigh the Wade Avenue freeway connection from I-40 to I-440 has an unsigned secondary highway number.

Henry

Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 16, 2023, 03:01:35 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 15, 2023, 07:28:38 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on February 15, 2023, 03:39:58 PM
Quote from: ahj2000 on February 15, 2023, 02:47:26 PM
Sorry if it has been covered already, but why are there not plans for there to be an interstate number on the western loop? Seems like with NC's penchant for turning everything into an Interstate, i274 makes a lot more sense than NC 452

It will be I-274.
I seem to recall that there were ideas to complete the loop with a Southern Beltway. Is there any life in this idea?

None. There is no large enough population south of I-40 at this time that would warrant such a route nor issues with the existing routes now to justify a bypass. NCDOT has no information, maps, or plans at this time either; so it remains only an idea.

Regarding an earlier comment, NC 452 was established when it appeared construction was going to begin around early 2000 for the western section to be first. Of course, that fell through and since then discussions of I-274 came up as its new designation. Officially, the unbuilt western section is NC 452, but that does not mean they will not change that when they eventually start construction on the western section... someday.
As it is, I-40 is a sufficient bypass to the south of town, thus there really is no need for a Southern Beltway which would be too close to what's already there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

wdcrft63

NCDOT announces closures on High Point Road, which closely parallels existing I-74 south of I-40. The interchange carrying I-74 onto the new Northern Beltway will have multiple bridges over High Point Road.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-03-03-new-construction-northern-beltway.aspx

bob7374

The contract to turn the current NC 72 and NC 130 West intersections with US 74 in Robeson County into one interchange has been awarded, work can start in April, the project is to be complete in 2026. The current intersection with Creek Road to the west, whose closure was originally to be part of this contract, now won't begin until 2027:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-03-08-us-74-intersections-upgraded-robeson-county.aspx

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on March 08, 2023, 11:15:36 AM
The contract to turn the current NC 72 and NC 130 West intersections with US 74 in Robeson County into one interchange has been awarded, work can start in April, the project is to be complete in 2026. The current intersection with Creek Road to the west, whose closure was originally to be part of this contract, now won't begin until 2027:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-03-08-us-74-intersections-upgraded-robeson-county.aspx

Once this and the Creek Road overpass are built, there shouldn't be a problem with having a consistent 70mph speed limit between Laurinburg and Lake Waccamaw.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

wdcrft63

Crossing US 74 on Creek Road now is awkward, since it's a reduced conflict intersection. When the interchange at 72/130 opens, 72/130 becomes an attractive detour option and the Creek Road intersection could be closed until the overpass is built.

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on March 08, 2023, 06:21:01 PM

Once this and the Creek Road overpass are built, there shouldn't be a problem with having a consistent 70mph speed limit between Laurinburg and Lake Waccamaw.
There's still the intersection with VC Britt Road eastbound just prior to crossing the last bridge into Boardman.

They have also installed a turn around 1/4 mile past that westbound in connection with the Boardman interchange project, directing US 74 West traffic to use that to turn around for accessing Macedonia Church Road:

While this may be closed when the Boardman exit is finished, until the intersection is taken care of as well, there will probably be at least a 1-2 mile gap where the speed limit will stay at 60 MPH, at least headed east.

LM117

^ No wonder I missed Britt Road. I didn't notice the intersection on the map until I zoomed in real close just now. I initially thought it was cutoff from US-74. :pan:

I also just saw that Woodrow Road also has an intersection with US-74. That one is just west of Britt Road.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on March 12, 2023, 07:34:00 AM
^ No wonder I missed Britt Road. I didn't notice the intersection on the map until I zoomed in real close just now. I initially thought it was cutoff from US-74. :pan:

I also just saw that Woodrow Road also has an intersection with US-74. That one is just west of Britt Road.
Britt and Woodrow look like problems, because they are both dead end roads with no connections to each other or anything else. Maintaining access may require a long frontage road through the swamp all the way back to the existing NC 130. Is there a plan for this?

Henry

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 13, 2023, 09:04:45 PM
Quote from: LM117 on March 12, 2023, 07:34:00 AM

Britt and Woodrow look like problems, because they are both dead end roads with no connections to each other or anything else. Maintaining access may require a long frontage road through the swamp all the way back to the existing NC 130. Is there a plan for this?
This area is going to be tricky.One way around it would be to build the freeway on a slightly-shifted alignment, preserving the eastbound carriageway for the frontage road and building a new westbound carriageway while reversing the current one for the eastbound freeway.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

sprjus4

NCDOT's feasibility study for the area shows the construction of a new frontage road south of the existing US-74 alignment to serve those two roads through the swamp.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_1106B_Report_2014.pdf

See PDF page 27.

bob7374

NCDOT announcement of traffic shift due to the ongoing US 74 (Future I-74) Lake Waccamaw interchange project:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-03-15-columbus-county-traffic-shift.aspx

bob7374

NCDOT announcement of what I believe is the last major bridge closure for the US 52/Future I-74 Winston-Salem Beltway interchange project. The closure is to last 9 months. If this is to correspond with the opening of the interchange, then looks like that won't happen now until the end of the year:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-03-28-nine-month-closure-coming-forsyth-county-bridge-replacement.aspx

wdcrft63

Quote from: bob7374 on March 28, 2023, 06:20:36 PM
NCDOT announcement of what I believe is the last major bridge closure for the US 52/Future I-74 Winston-Salem Beltway interchange project. The closure is to last 9 months. If this is to correspond with the opening of the interchange, then looks like that won't happen now until the end of the year:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-03-28-nine-month-closure-coming-forsyth-county-bridge-replacement.aspx
Ziglar Road is at the extreme southern end of the project crossing US 52. The ramps joining I-74 to US 52 North might open before this bridge is ready to open.

ARMOURERERIC

Is there any evidence that the ramp that will carry the 74wb cd lane is being pushed to get a through traffic option for 74

sprjus4

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain I-74 will have full continuity onto the beltway, requiring drivers heading southbound on US-52 to "exit"  to stay on US-52, while keeping straight will default onto the beltway, which is how it should be given I-74 will follow that route seamlessly.

bob7374

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 28, 2023, 08:12:45 PM
Is there any evidence that the ramp that will carry the 74wb cd lane is being pushed to get a through traffic option for 74
Based on this January image from Street View taken from University Parkway, it doesn't appear they are concentrating on opening at least a temporary ramp to US 52 North from the Beltway:

wdcrft63

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 29, 2023, 01:50:08 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain I-74 will have full continuity onto the beltway, requiring drivers heading southbound on US-52 to "exit"  to stay on US-52, while keeping straight will default onto the beltway, which is how it should be given I-74 will follow that route seamlessly.
It's clear that is exactly what will happen. In fact, US 52 SB has already been shifted to the right, creating what will be the exit.

bob7374

I have posted photos taken by Adam Prince along NC 74 West, the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway, on March 31:

to my I-74 Segment 4 page: https://malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg4.html#photos

carbaugh2

I came across these videos that have footage of where 73/74 will meet up with US 74 as part of the Rockingham Bypass construction.

Traveling 74 westbound (scroll to 55:00): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HJYtF8ZDI6Y

Exiting 74 at 74 Business (scroll to 40:00): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yE_p2RAmkV8

bob7374

Google Maps has updated its Street View coverage of I-40 through the I-74/Beltway interchange project work zone to March 2023. I have posted screen grabs from traveling west to east through the construction area, such as these supports for a future flyover ramp:

to my I-74 in NC Segment 4 page: https://malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg4.html#photos

bob7374

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.