Why don't i always get a reply when i send a pm to a user?

Started by tolbs17, September 04, 2019, 04:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Is it because of what I say to them? I've emailed admins mods and users. and about 75% of them don't reply to me or they purposely ignore me. Any suggestions why that is? I want to know, thanks.

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

webny99

... or maybe you're just innocently asking and saying things that aren't that important/necessary. I'd say don't keep trying to contact them unless it actually is an important matter, or you'll only make things worse. They're busy people, with lives outside the forum.

Max Rockatansky

People have lives outside of a road forum.  When you messaged me I just happened to be on the forum at the time, otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed for several days.

ozarkman417

What is it that you are even trying to say to them? Is it important?

tolbs17

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 04, 2019, 08:43:16 PM
Like pictures of myself and my friends. And it's not important probably because it's not meant to be on this forum. I'm probably better off putting that on a different website.

Scott5114

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 04, 2019, 09:03:28 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 04, 2019, 08:43:16 PM
Like pictures of myself and my friends. And it's not important probably because it's not meant to be on this forum. I'm probably better off putting that on a different website.

That borders on abuse of the PM system. While we cannot police PMs, as they're private, the system is still intended mostly to facilitate on-topic discussion between users in a one-on-one setting, and to allow forum management to communicate with users without being publicly visible. Using the PM system as an ad-hoc social media service is not its intended purpose.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Either way, you're not automatically entitled to a reply if you send someone a PM even if it's totally relevant and on-topic–same as with e-mail, text messages, leaving voicemails, etc. Same is true of starting a new thread, for that matter–people aren't required to post replies. 

I thought about not answering the question you sent me a few weeks back because I had no idea what you were asking about, but I decided it was painless just to say I didn't know.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tolbs17

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 05, 2019, 07:05:10 AM
Either way, you're not automatically entitled to a reply if you send someone a PM even if it's totally relevant and on-topic–same as with e-mail, text messages, leaving voicemails, etc. Same is true of starting a new thread, for that matter–people aren't required to post replies. 

I thought about not answering the question you sent me a few weeks back because I had no idea what you were asking about, but I decided it was painless just to say I didn't know.
Well a little weird that no one answers my questions and doesn't reply, I find it that some of them hate me.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 05, 2019, 12:12:36 PM
Either way, you’re not automatically entitled to a reply if you send someone a PM even if it’s totally relevant and on-topic—same as with e-mail, text messages, leaving voicemails, etc. Same is true of starting a new thread, for that matter—people aren’t required to post replies. 

I thought about not answering the question you sent me a few weeks back because I had no idea what you were asking about, but I decided it was painless just to say I didn’t know.
Well a little weird that no one answers my questions and doesn't reply, I find it that some of them hate me.

Or if it's a question out of left field that has nothing to do with the person you sent it to.

Max Rockatansky

Probably more a case of you sending messages to people that don't make sense or don't relate to them.   Case and point; I don't know why you thought I was on Highway Divides much less how to logon. 

MNHighwayMan

I'm not sure this is a question I want to ask, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Just how many PMs have you been sending?

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 05, 2019, 12:51:16 PM

Probably more a case of you sending messages to people that don't make sense or don't relate to them.   Case and point; I don't know why you thought I was on Highway Divides much less how to logon. 

That's what I was referring to as well–I had not heard of Highway Divides and didn't know anything about whatever it is. I did note that PM went to a group of forum members, but I didn't want to hit reply-all.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 05, 2019, 01:55:54 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 05, 2019, 12:51:16 PM

That's what I was referring to as well–I had not heard of Highway Divides and didn't know anything about whatever it is. I did note that PM went to a group of forum members, but I didn't want to hit reply-all.

I didn't even catch it was a group message. I replied back that I wasn't on the site nor was previously.   It's not like I got a reply back acknowledging that I replied...maybe I should make a thread about it?  :rolleyes:

froggie

He may have sent a number of messages about Highway Divides...I received one too.  But I didn't know what it was either.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on September 05, 2019, 03:38:25 PM
He may have sent a number of messages about Highway Divides...I received one too.  But I didn't know what it was either.

The one he sent me also lists the following recipients: vdeane, Brandon, roadman65, and jeffandnicole. Easy enough to see what we have in common if you view the member list, though of course you and cpzilliacus (and others) fall within the same general category.

tolbs17

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 05, 2019, 01:06:53 PM
I'm not sure this is a question I want to ask, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Just how many PMs have you been sending?
like i sent it to 30 users.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 05, 2019, 05:01:17 PM

And you're wondering why a lot of people didn't want to respond?...spam much?

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 05, 2019, 05:36:50 PM

No, I want to see who would use highway divides. It was apparently down and not a single person has been on that site where I got the answers from. It's called mass messaging.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 05, 2019, 05:39:18 PM

No, I want to see who would use highway divides. It was apparently down and not a single person has been on that site where I got the answers from. It's called mass messaging.

It's all call spam messaging. Had I noticed you sent out a message to a billion different users I wouldn't have replied either.  Worse, is now you want some sort of justification from everyone who didn't answer.   Maybe a thread would have sufficed since it probably would have left the door open to people who use the site to respond?  I know this is the era of instant gratification but damn...probably ought to whoa those expectations down a little. 

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 05, 2019, 05:42:48 PM

It's all call spam messaging. Had I noticed you sent out a message to a billion different users I wouldn't have replied either.  Worse, is now you want some sort of justification from everyone who didn't answer.   Maybe a thread would have sufficed since it probably would have left the door open to people who use the site to respond?  I know this is the era of instant gratification but damn...probably ought to whoa those expectations down a little.
should have probably did that instead, but i saw the guidelines, and I didn't want to get warned by a mod or admin about it. So I sent it all in PMs instead.

I was looking at this thread by the way

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21859.0

I didn't want something like what Ian or rickmastfan said to traffic light guy so that's why i sent it in PMs.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 05, 2019, 05:52:08 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 05, 2019, 05:42:48 PM

should have probably did that instead, but i saw the guidelines, and I didn't want to get warned by a mod or admin about it. So I sent it all in PMs instead.

I was looking at this thread by the way

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21859.0

I didn't want something like what Ian or rickmastfan said to traffic light guy so that's why i sent it in PMs.

Yeah, I remember that thread now.  That was more about that guy complaining about being banned more than anything else.  The OP in that thread was a pretty odd duck to say the least.  I guess it spells out pretty clearly on the end post regarding the discussion of other websites on boards.  Either way I'm sure there is a way to focus your question to a audience that might be more in line with the website you had questions about rather than just mass messaging the top 30 something posters. 

Scott5114

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 05, 2019, 05:52:08 PM

Consider yourself warned: unsolicited bulk PMs are not permitted.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ozarkman417

I found it funny how the Highway Divides owner's ONLY post on here is about that the one who got banned (traffic light guy)... Though I only found out about Highway Divides because of this thread, today.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.