News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Freeway Entrance" signage

Started by deathtopumpkins, June 16, 2020, 10:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on June 16, 2020, 05:17:15 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 16, 2020, 11:37:22 AM
Cross New York off the list. I wish we used them, but nope.

NY recently required them where entrance & exit ramps are adjacent as part of their wrong-way driving countermeasures at exit ramp termini.
Here's an example on an entrance to the Saw Mill in Bedford.

Interesting. I don't think I've seen any of those around here yet. We do have plenty of "Pedestrians Bicycles and Horses Prohibited" signs at freeway entrances, but I don't think that's in the vein of what the OP is looking for.

Alex

Quote from: kphoger on June 16, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 16, 2020, 11:53:56 AM

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 16, 2020, 11:42:39 AM
Southern Illinois uses them

Where?  I don't remember that.

Hmmm..  I found one on I-57 at Tuscola.  Are these recent in Illinois?  GSV from 2012 shows no such sign there, and I don't remember there being one there back when I hitchhiked from that exit in 2006.

Photographed in 2010 on US 54 at I-72/US 36 near Pittsfield, IL:

Alex

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 16, 2020, 01:42:13 PM
Consulting the other thread, it looks like we're at:

• California
  • Washington
  • Nevada
  • Oregon
  • New Mexico
  • Illinois
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Montana
  • Michigan
  • Colorado (one example that has since been removed)

Add Utah to the list. An example from the Knolls interchange along I-80:

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: roadman on June 16, 2020, 01:50:01 PM
The Freeway Entrance signs on I-395 in Massachusetts were a one-off and will not be repeated elsewhere in the state.

Where were these at? I was unaware MassDOT ever posted any.

Quote from: csw on June 16, 2020, 02:17:57 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/Wr78F8URze19KHKm9

Great, thanks! Can add North Carolina to the list.

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on June 16, 2020, 05:17:15 PM
NY recently required them where entrance & exit ramps are adjacent as part of their wrong-way driving countermeasures at exit ramp termini.

Here's an example on an entrance to the Saw Mill in Bedford.

See this is really interesting to me because it's a variant on the 'standard' design, including a downward arrow and changing the text to 'PARKWAY'. I guess we should expect to see more of these popping up in NY in the future.

Quote from: jakeroot on June 16, 2020, 09:36:21 PM
For all the American influence I see across BC, "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" signs are not one of those things.

That said, they do exist, but are very rare. Here is a pair of black-on-white examples; the one on the left (in sort-of-correct FHWA typeface (should be Clearview)) is actually brand-new, after the original fell off sometime in 2019. The one on the right has the original font, which I have a photo of somewhere.

Neat, that's the first black and white example I've seen. That font on the original one is absolutely hideous though. Looks more like something I'd expect out of Rhode Island.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

deathtopumpkins

List is now up to:

• California
  • Washington
  • Nevada
  • Oregon
  • New Mexico
  • Illinois
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Montana
  • Michigan
  • North Carolina
  • Utah
  • Texas
  • British Columbia (black/white)
  • New York

Definitely some surprises on here.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

frankenroad

I have never seen one in Ohio, but Ohio is starting to use the down-arrow signs at freeway entrances, which is something I first saw in California.

Here are examples on OH-126 and US-20 from opposite ends of the state.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

tdindy88

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 16, 2020, 12:08:30 PM
Indiana is my second most frequently visited state after Michigan and I don't recall any of them there either.

Indiana does have one, and I'm pretty sure it is only this one, in Bloomington of all places. Here at the on-ramp onto I-69 off of Walnut Street. Definently one of those one-off situations. https://goo.gl/maps/gkvwpq2TMhKyX15H8

ilpt4u

Hmmm..  I found one on I-57 at Tuscola.  Are these recent in Illinois?  GSV from 2012 shows no such sign there, and I don't remember there being one there back when I hitchhiked from that exit in 2006.
I know I-57 at Marion Main St/Old IL 13 entrance ramps have them. I think I have seen them elsewhere along I-57 and I-24 also, but I will check more interchanges on GSV after work tonight

I-57 at US 51/IL 3 in Cairo has the Freeway signage, too

Both of these interchanges are Folded Diamonds. I wonder if IDOT has a pattern with Folded Diamonds and Freeway Entrance signage?

The one stridentweasel found off I-55 in Lincoln is also a Folded Diamond

The Tuscola I-57 ramps are also a Folded Diamond

I am noticing a pattern

IL 17 @ I-57 in Kankakee has the Freeway Entrance signage also, another Folded Diamond

ISTHA does not follow suit. The Orchard Rd and Peace Rd Folded Diamonds on I-88 do not use Freeway Entrance, nor Tollway Entrance signage

mrsman

I am glad to see more and more states adopting this.  As a native Californian, these things are basic and normal to me, and I believe in an old post on the other thread I had to explain the value of these signs to people in other states.  But it sounds like the authorities in many other states are recognizing their value.  NYSDOT, in particular, on the attachment, denotes the safety benefit to avoid wrong way driving on ramps, particularly where on ramps and off ramps are close together.

Well done.  Hopefully even more states will adopt this sensible practice.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 17, 2020, 11:34:17 AM

I know I-57 at Marion Main St/Old IL 13 entrance ramps have them. I think I have seen them elsewhere along I-57 and I-24 also, but I will check more interchanges on GSV after work tonight

I-57 at US 51/IL 3 in Cairo has the Freeway signage, too

Both of these interchanges are Folded Diamonds. I wonder if IDOT has a pattern with Folded Diamonds and Freeway Entrance signage?

The one stridentweasel found off I-55 in Lincoln is also a Folded Diamond

The Tuscola I-57 ramps are also a Folded Diamond

I am noticing a pattern

IL 17 @ I-57 in Kankakee has the Freeway Entrance signage also, another Folded Diamond

ISTHA does not follow suit. The Orchard Rd and Peace Rd Folded Diamonds on I-88 do not use Freeway Entrance, nor Tollway Entrance signage

I'm guessing Illinois puts these signs up on projects designed by design firm offices located in California   :bigass:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

kphoger

I am noticing a pattern

You're definitely on to something there.  All of the Illinois examples posted so far have been added within the last twelve years, and all are at folded diamonds or parclos with two-way traffic on the ramps.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jakeroot

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 17, 2020, 12:19:48 AM
I can confirm one Texas example:

FM 523 at SH 288:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.1973845,-95.4491835,3a,27.9y,41.65h,82.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9MhKuhcu6MoVgdhPWI0oQA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that the two states with Clearview "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" signs would be Texas and Michigan. I suppose if PA used the sign, they'd use Clearview too.

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on June 17, 2020, 01:04:23 PM
I am noticing a pattern

You're definitely on to something there.  All of the Illinois examples posted so far have been added within the last twelve years, and all are at folded diamonds or parclos with two-way traffic on the ramps.
More IL/IDOT Folded Diamond examples

I-39 @ IL 72 Monroe Center, IL
I-39 @ Perry Rd Steward, IL
I-39 @ US 24 El Paso, IL
I-55 @ BUS US 51/N Main St Normal, IL

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on June 17, 2020, 01:04:23 PM
I am noticing a pattern

New York and Ohio are both starting to install some variation of freeway entrance signs at these type of locations, too. It's probably largely aimed at the prevention of wrong-way driving.

Ben114

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 17, 2020, 09:09:16 AM
The Freeway Entrance signs on I-395 in Massachusetts were a one-off and will not be repeated elsewhere in the state.

Where were these at? I was unaware MassDOT ever posted any..

Sutton Ave in Oxford (current exit 4).

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Ben114 on June 17, 2020, 03:45:04 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 17, 2020, 09:09:16 AM

Where were these at? I was unaware MassDOT ever posted any..

Sutton Ave in Oxford (current exit 4).

https://goo.gl/maps/E9CGcmqtfCeukWq98
Holy oversized sign, Batman!

I'm disinclined to include these as an example though due to the weirdness of them. Sure they include the words "FREEWAY ENTRANCE", but they're a different size and style than the standard sign.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 17, 2020, 01:25:01 PM
A rare one-off in CT at I-95 Exit 74 is depicted on Page 159.

Thanks, I knew I'd seen a post about one in CT!

deathtopumpkins

List is now up to:

• California
  • Washington
  • Nevada
  • Oregon
  • New Mexico
  • Illinois
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Montana
  • Michigan
  • North Carolina
  • Utah
  • Texas
  • British Columbia (black/white)
  • New York
  • Connecticut
  • Indiana
  • Massachusetts (oversized, essentially exit gore signs)

Scott5114

Kansas doesn't use a freeway entrance sign, but they do have a standard sign that is roughly

BUNCH OF STUFF THAT ISN'T ALLOWED THAT I'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO READ
BY PASSING THIS SIGN YOU AGREE TO SURRENDER YOUR IMMORTAL SOUL TO KDOT
DIAGRAMMATICS FOREVER, ESPECIALLY THE ONES THAT ARE BIGGER THAN THE SIZE OF YOUR HOUSE
PARCELS CONTAINING ANYTHING LIQUID FRAGILE PERISHABLE OR POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS

PROHIBITED

that an astute driver will interpret as being a freeway entrance sign.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 17, 2020, 05:15:19 PM
Kansas doesn't use a freeway entrance sign, but they do have a standard sign that is roughly

BUNCH OF STUFF THAT ISN'T ALLOWED THAT I'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO READ
BY PASSING THIS SIGN YOU AGREE TO SURRENDER YOUR IMMORTAL SOUL TO KDOT
DIAGRAMMATICS FOREVER, ESPECIALLY THE ONES THAT ARE BIGGER THAN THE SIZE OF YOUR HOUSE
PARCELS CONTAINING ANYTHING LIQUID FRAGILE PERISHABLE OR POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS

PROHIBITED

that an astute driver will interpret as being a freeway entrance sign.

Ours are sort of the reverse of that in that "PROHIBITED" appears at the top above a horizontal line, although not all entrance ramps have this sign (the other ramp to the left here doesn't have one, nor does the other ramp on the other side of Van Dorn Street back behind the camera's viewpoint in this image).

https://goo.gl/maps/JVkfYWgJSHJTjYg29
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

VDOT uses similar signage on its on ramps.

Other variations exist as well that use "No" instead of "Prohibited", but it's all the same.

In some instances, they will post the "Prohibited" signage at the start of limited-access bypasses, even with at-grade intersections as seen in the distance. At that intersection, another sign reads "No" instead of "Prohibited", then glancing at old imagery it used to read "Prohibited". Likely case is that "No" is the new standard, but most old ones still read "Prohibited".

Scott5114

You know, from what I have been able to glance at from when I've passed by them, I think that may be actually be the exact wording used in Kansas. Or it could be closer to my version. Who knows?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

machias

NYSDOT Region 2 in Utica featured them on recent sign plans for NY Route 49, but they crossed off FREEWAY and hand wrote EXPRESSWAY on the plans.

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 17, 2020, 05:21:13 PM
You know, from what I have been able to glance at from when I've passed by them, I think that may be actually be the exact wording used in Kansas. Or it could be closer to my version. Who knows?

I hope it's your version. At least yours is more of easter egg, not being any more readable from a car, but way funnier.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.