News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Frost Tax

Started by kernals12, December 27, 2020, 12:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kernals12 on December 28, 2020, 12:18:10 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 28, 2020, 11:28:28 AM
Winter is great.  It keeps out the riff-raff. :P

When it's cold, you can always put on more clothes.  When it's hot, you can only take so many clothes off before you get arrested.

But 90 degrees is closer to what humans consider optimal than 30 degrees.

Citation needed.  Unless we're saying 65-70 is closer to 90 than 30. In that case, humans prefer temps closer to 200 than to negative 80.

Quote from: kernals12 on December 28, 2020, 12:17:21 PM
In the Sun Belt, construction is a year round endeavor while in the snow belt, everything grinds to a halt in winter, leaving all those construction workers out of a job and lots of construction equipment rusting away in storage.

You're not the only one to say this. Yet, there's plenty of construction going on in the winter. It is so visible. I don't know how people continously miss houses being built, offices being constructed, and road construction being worked on in the winter. Sure there's some things that need to be halted, but not everything.

Might just shut down Canada and evacuate the country.

kernals12

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 28, 2020, 05:51:37 PM

When it's cold, you can always put on more clothes.  When it's hot, you can only take so many clothes off before you get arrested.

Citation needed.  Unless we're saying 65-70 is closer to 90 than 30. In that case, humans prefer temps closer to 200 than to negative 80.

In the Sun Belt, construction is a year round endeavor while in the snow belt, everything grinds to a halt in winter, leaving all those construction workers out of a job and lots of construction equipment rusting away in storage.

You're not the only one to say this. Yet, there's plenty of construction going on in the winter. It is so visible. I don't know how people continously miss houses being built, offices being constructed, and road construction being worked on in the winter. Sure there's some things that need to be halted, but not everything.

I guess the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, which made that chart, also missed those things.

US 89

And also, just looking at temperature difference alone is misleading. If we're taking 70F as the ideal human temperature, going 20 degrees higher does not produce an equal and opposite outcome as going 20 degrees lower. If it's 50 outside, put on a sweater and you're good. Can't just take off a sweater that doesn't exist at 90...and if it's humid as it often is in the eastern US, it's going to feel quite a bit warmer than 90.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on December 28, 2020, 05:58:58 PM

I guess the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, which made that chart, also missed those things.

I've witnessed tons of construction in all my years in the Midwest and New England.  Just because construction slows in the winter months doesn't mean it stops across the board.  Yes, it is easier to work in the warmer months but there is often projects that need to get done regardless of the obstacles of colder conditions. 

GaryV

Government dislikes the hot summer.  If that's not an argument for global warming, I don't know what is.   :spin:

kernals12

Quote from: GaryV on December 28, 2020, 06:07:05 PM

Government dislikes the hot summer.  If that's not an argument for global warming, I don't know what is.   :spin:

No, the opposite. The Government thinks that Summer, rather than Winter, is so awesome that Children should get to enjoy it without school

jeffandnicole

They didn't miss it. You did.

Here's a few quotes:

QuoteConstruction employment (figure 3, panel A) reaches a trough in February–when employment is about 10 percent below the annual average–and a peak around August–when employment is about 7 percent above the annual average.

At one extreme, the range of seasonal variation in construction employment (panel A) is quite large, close to 20 percentage points. For retail trade and government (panels C and D, respectively), the range is only 6 to 8 percentage points, and manufacturing (panel B) is even less seasonal.

The report you cited never ever came close to saying "everything grinds to a halt in winter, leaving all those construction workers out of a job". It ever so clearly did say there's fewer construction jobs than average in the winter, and even then it wasn't nearly to the extent you exaggerated.

thspfc

I would say something about this, but at this point kernals12 is just wasting our time. Let this be the last post in this thread. The guy can't even use correct capitalization, yet we're supposed to believe him when he says that global warming is a good thing?  :-D

hotdogPi

Quote from: thspfc on December 28, 2020, 08:02:57 PM
The guy can't even use correct capitalization

Even though agentsteel53 no longer posts on this forum, you should look at his posts. He consistently leaves the first letter of each sentence lowercase, only capitalizing proper nouns.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1 (that's not me; it goes by user ID, and mine is 12069)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on December 28, 2020, 08:02:57 PM
I would say something about this, but at this point kernals12 is just wasting our time. Let this be the last post in this thread. The guy can't even use correct capitalization, yet we're supposed to believe him when he says that global warming is a good thing?  :-D

The feeling I've always gotten is that he operates under the assumption that he knows something worldly because he's a college grad?

I'm aware that goes again the grain of what you were looking regarding letting this train wreck whimper into the forgotten list of AAroads threads. 

The Nature Boy

Quote from: kernals12 on December 28, 2020, 06:08:29 PM
Quote from: GaryV on December 28, 2020, 06:07:05 PM

No, the opposite. The Government thinks that Summer, rather than Winter, is so awesome that Children should get to enjoy it without school

This is a hold over from the days when the United States was an agrarian society and we needed children to work on the farms in the summer. There has been a tourist industry that has taken advantage of this but the roots of "summer vacation" are not in any kind of real leisure at all.

seicer

He lives in his parent's basement in Massachusetts because he claims he can't find a job, yet somehow has the time to find out how construction workers and contractors work - which isn't accurate in the very least. I would suspect that this "college grad" would do better if he actually worked a trade or as a contractor and find out how so many of us make it through the winter :D

kernals12

Quote from: kernals12 on December 27, 2020, 11:06:20 PM
What really pissed me off was back in February when we had that freakishly mild winter and the only thing the media seemed to care about was the plight of skiers.

And on that note
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/28/world/europe/austria-ski-crowds-lockdown.html

SectorZ

Quote from: kernals12 on December 29, 2020, 02:13:20 PM
What really pissed me off was back in February when we had that freakishly mild winter and the only thing the media seemed to care about was the plight of skiers.

And on that note
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/28/world/europe/austria-ski-crowds-lockdown.html

I'm confused how this makes a point in your own thread.

kernals12

Quote from: SectorZ on December 29, 2020, 02:46:30 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on December 29, 2020, 02:13:20 PM

And on that note

I'm confused how this makes a point in your own thread.

It's evidence that skiers do not deserve our sympathy.

hotdogPi

This page should settle the frost tax debate. The Robert Frost Farm is in Derry, NH. Admission has no tax, because it's in New Hampshire.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kernals12

Quote from: 1 on December 29, 2020, 02:48:58 PM
This page should settle the frost tax debate. The Robert Frost Farm is in Derry, NH. Admission has no tax, because it's in New Hampshire.

Hardy Har Har

Max Rockatansky

I wonder, did Jack Frost tax the Elves in the North Pole when he snatched dominion from Tim Allen as the new Santa in Santa Clause 3?  That theme park had to be funded somehow and I doubt it was with well wishes.

renegade

This thread derailed from this post:

Quote from: kernals12 on December 27, 2020, 12:18:52 AM
I loathe the cold. And from any rational viewpoint, you should too. It's expensive, bringing lots of problems that have no equivalent on the side of heat. I call it the "Frost Tax". Here's what it consists of:

-The Cost of Snow Removal
-The Cost of Warm Clothing
-The Cost of Natural Gas and Heating Oil
-The Cost of Snow Tires
-The Cost of Vehicles with All Wheel Drive
-The Cost of Engineering buildings to withstand the weight of snow
-Damage to highways by freeze thaw cycles
-Water pollution from road salt
-Closure of schools and businesses by snowstorms
-Disruption of airport operations by snowstorms
-Deaths from Hypothermia
-Car accidents from black ice
-Injuries from slipping on ice
-Seasonality of agriculture, construction, and tourism

We all pay the frost tax in obscure ways. Last week, in anticipation of a major snowstorm, I pulled my wipers away from my windshield, and in the process I stripped one of them. Getting a new one cost $70 and due to the post office's current problems, it's days late, so I've been driving with one wiper.

Maybe climate change isn't so bad.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Max Rockatansky

I noticed that take on climate change wasn't a question.  Therefore it is rendered factual because the OP says so. 

vdeane

Yeah, how about the Heat Tax?  Climate change was depicted quite differently in Cosmos from what kernals12 envisions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bA4aV5s_UU
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kernals12

Quote from: vdeane on December 29, 2020, 09:06:43 PM
Yeah, how about the Heat Tax?  Climate change was depicted quite differently in Cosmos from what kernals12 envisions.

Floods can be prevented by dikes. Heat exhaustion can be prevented by air conditioning. Nothing short of putting heating coils under all our roads will keep us safe from snow and ice.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on December 29, 2020, 09:34:01 PM

Floods can be prevented by dikes. Heat exhaustion can be prevented by air conditioning. Nothing short of putting heating coils under all our roads will keep us safe from snow and ice.

Dikes and air conditioning are free?  Why didn't you say so!

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2020, 09:36:09 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on December 29, 2020, 09:34:01 PM

Dikes and air conditioning are free?  Why didn't you say so!

They're clearly much less expensive than heated roads.

TheHighwayMan3561

Building giant pipelines to steal take a share of our Midwestern water is free?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.