News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Guess the speed limit challenge

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 09, 2021, 10:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Is it legit to post a backwards facing photo?

I am going to assume so. This one has a giveaway as to what state it's in, if you know what you're looking for.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

doorknob60

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 12, 2021, 05:00:02 PM
45 mph

Well, actually, most of the section that's visible in the picture is 45 mph, so I'll give you partial credit, but ...

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 12, 2021, 04:48:13 PM
65 mph

65 mph is correct! (Click forward and turn around to see the 45 mph signs in the other direction). Of course, the speed limit sign with the extra support was the tip-off that this was in Minnesota.

Northbound traffic generally moves right along here coming out of the slog through Apple Valley (which is basically five miles of this, and you can see how slow it gets in the picture). I remember passing through here with my uncle once and being impressed that we were going 85 mph and keeping pace with traffic.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

doorknob60

jakeroot

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on August 12, 2021, 05:19:52 PM
65 mph

65 mph is correct! (Click forward and turn around to see the 45 mph signs in the other direction). Of course, the speed limit sign with the extra support was the tip-off that this was in Minnesota.

Hmm. This feels a little unfair. Virtually everything in the photo is 45 apart from the three car lengths between the GSV vehicle and the limit sign on the left.

Roadgeekteen

doorknob60

Quote from: kphoger on August 12, 2021, 05:00:02 PM
45 mph

I'm going to give my turn to kphoger, I only have one more lined up myself right now and I'd rather use it later. You kinda got the last one right since there were basically 2 correct answers there.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on August 12, 2021, 06:05:16 PM
65 mph

Hmm. This feels a little unfair. Virtually everything in the photo is 45 apart from the three car lengths between the GSV vehicle and the limit sign on the left.

Well, that's why I asked if it was legit to post a backwards-facing photo (and then did it anyway, but I would have changed it if it was ruled illegitimate). Now, seeing as the OP got it right on the first try, he certainly has no incentive to disallow it. But I won't do it again if the consensus is that it shouldn't be allowed.

doorknob60

Quote from: webny99 on August 12, 2021, 09:36:58 PM
65 mph

Well, that's why I asked if it was legit to post a backwards-facing photo (and then did it anyway, but I would have changed it if it was ruled illegitimate). Now, seeing as the OP got it right on the first try, he certainly has no incentive to disallow it. But I won't do it again if the consensus is that it shouldn't be allowed.

I don't have a problem with it in general, it's just when the speed limit is different forwards and backwards that's when it can be confusing or misleading. I would say we should be guessing the speed limit of the section of roadway that's prominently visible in the picture.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on August 12, 2021, 09:36:58 PM

I don't think the issue is that the photo is pointed against traffic.  The issue is that the road in the photo is not 65 mph.

Quote from: doorknob60 on August 12, 2021, 07:42:08 PM
I'm going to give my turn to kphoger ...

Cool, thanks, man!

km/h

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

doorknob60

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

andrepoiy

webny99

Quote from: doorknob60 on August 12, 2021, 10:53:54 PM
I don't have a problem with it in general, it's just when the speed limit is different forwards and backwards that's when it can be confusing or misleading. I would say we should be guessing the speed limit of the section of roadway that's prominently visible in the picture.
Quote from: kphoger on August 13, 2021, 02:04:28 PM
I don't think the issue is that the photo is pointed against traffic.  The issue is that the road in the photo is not 65 mph.

OK, we are all in agreement then. You can post backwards-facing photos, but the speed limit of the road primarily visible counts as the correct answer. I apologize for jumping the gun, and thank you, doorknob60, for helping to resolve this by giving kphoger your turn.

(If I get another chance to post a photo, I probably will be using another backwards-facing photo, as it was way easier to use a Street View screenshot that way. Unlike my previous submissions, where I had to black out the road name etc., I didn't have to do any editing at all with this.)

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 13, 2021, 02:04:28 PM
km/h

Well, I'm pretty confident it's not below 60 km/h, so...

100 km/h?

SkyPesos

Considering how weird speed limits sometimes are, I'll throw in a 50 km/h here.

Roadgeekteen

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.