News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Guess the speed limit challenge

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 09, 2021, 10:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

jon12791

kirbykart

jon12791

Quote from: kirbykart on August 21, 2022, 12:54:13 PM
40 MPH

40 mph is correct! This is Massachusetts Route 4 at the Bedford-Billerica line. Always thought it is quite narrow to be that fast with many driveways and side streets, but seems on the high end of reasonable.

kirbykart

Nice!
Like before, someone else can post.

webny99

jon12791

webny99

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

webny99

Not 30 mph...

I will also note that you can see the speed limit sign in the image (but obviously not what it says  :D)

jakeroot

Oh god. It's gonna be something ridiculous like 15.

webny99

Not 15 mph, although you are on to something...

7/8

MATraveler128

doorknob60

Looks like a private property driveway type road, all rules are off the table. My guess is 5 MPH.

webny99

Quote from: doorknob60 on August 22, 2022, 02:28:40 PM
Looks like a private property driveway type road, all rules are off the table. My guess is 5 MPH.

Well done, 5 mph is correct (location here) and it is indeed the rear entrance to a private business. I cropped out the "THANK YOU" and "WELCOME" that would have given it away, but the white double line was also a clue.

There's no Street View on this entrance road, but the 5 mph sign is visible from NY 104 here. (NY 104 is divided in this area, so many businesses, like this one, have secondary entrances to Ridge Rd to avoid lengthy U-turns.)

doorknob60

Yeah, seems like driveways, parking lots, etc. pick randomly between 5, 10, and 15 MPH (and sometimes weird numbers like 12) with no real thought. Hardly possible to drive 5 MPH anyways, and a lot of speedometers aren't really useful below 10 MPH. In most parking lots I find myself going between 10 and 15 depending on how crowded it is with pedestrians, parked cars, and other hazards. Driveways, and things like mall perimeter roads, could be as high as 25-30 depending on the design. What you posted I imagine generally sees speeds around 15-20.

Anyways, here's the next one, in MPH.

7/8

Quote from: doorknob60 on August 22, 2022, 05:22:39 PM
Yeah, seems like driveways, parking lots, etc. pick randomly between 5, 10, and 15 MPH (and sometimes weird numbers like 12) with no real thought. Hardly possible to drive 5 MPH anyways, and a lot of speedometers aren't really useful below 10 MPH. In most parking lots I find myself going between 10 and 15 depending on how crowded it is with pedestrians, parked cars, and other hazards. Driveways, and things like mall perimeter roads, could be as high as 25-30 depending on the design. What you posted I imagine generally sees speeds around 15-20.

Besides the ridiculous low speed, why bother putting a speed limit on a ~60m/200' driveway? The double white lines are also interesting.

For the current one, I'll try 55 mph.

webny99

Yes, I agree that 5 mph is hardly possible to drive and not worth signing, especially on an incline like this one. I was amused when I saw it the other day and immediately thought to post it here.  :)

For the new challenge... 45 mph?

jakeroot

I didn't think we were doing speed limits on private streets. Seems like a slippery slope.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on August 22, 2022, 08:23:56 PM
I didn't think we were doing speed limits on private streets. Seems like a slippery slope.

No pun intended! I tried to give enough indications that it was going to be a low limit that it wasn't too much of a crapshoot, plus there was a number of visual cues in the image. Even so, it took 6 guesses, and none of them were above 30 mph. There's been plenty of public roads posted that have had a much bigger range of guesses and taken way more than 6 guesses, and were probably a lot more generic and less interesting to guess, too.

All that said... I don't have a major issue with banning private streets, even though I do feel it will make the game less interesting. But it should be added to the rules if that's what we're going to do.

plain

I'm going with 40 MPH for the current one
Newark born, Richmond bred

jon12791

Quote from: webny99 on August 22, 2022, 02:49:48 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on August 22, 2022, 02:28:40 PM

Well done, 5 mph is correct (location here) and it is indeed the rear entrance to a private business. I cropped out the "THANK YOU" and "WELCOME" that would have given it away, but the white double line was also a clue.

There's no Street View on this entrance road, but the 5 mph sign is visible from NY 104 here. (NY 104 is divided in this area, so many businesses, like this one, have secondary entrances to Ridge Rd to avoid lengthy U-turns.)

In Oyster Bay, NY, there is  a SPEED LIMIT 3 sign. In Quebec City, there is a 5 km/h (~3.1 mph) speed limit sign and even a 3 km/h (~1.8 mph) speed limit sign on streets/piers shared with pedestrians. I generally drive at around 15-20 mph in parking lot aisles and 25-30 mph on straightaways of perimeter interior roadways - obviously far slower and stopping as needed when there is a pedestrian or bicycle in my path.

jon12791

Quote from: doorknob60 on August 22, 2022, 05:22:39 PM

Anyways, here's the next one, in MPH.

Since 45 mph (which is what I would post this at in the absence of data) was already guessed, and 40 mph was as well, I will go with 50 mph.

This is such a fun game that I envisioned it before I found this thread.

MATraveler128

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.