News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 93 In Arizona Progress

Started by swbrotha100, February 27, 2015, 03:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 28, 2023, 06:48:03 AM
It HAS to be decommissioned because it VIOLATES THE GRID by going EAST OF US-91

...is what Fictional Highways would have said if it was around in 1954.

Right now, I'd be satisified with ADOT just paving the damn thing. The southbound lanes between Hoover Dam and Kingman were in pretty rough shape last time I was there, back in May.
In the same vein, "Why pick I-11 if it exists east of I-15?" is the question that Fictional Highways might be asking nowadays. I'd say we should be glad that at least it's not I-13!

BTW, US 91 has not existed in NV since it was decommissioned 50 years ago. And not acknowledging that I-11 will eventually cross the state line is an idiotic move on ADOT's part.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Scott5114

Quote from: Henry on December 28, 2023, 10:34:08 PM
BTW, US 91 has not existed in NV since it was decommissioned 50 years ago.

That's the joke...

Quote from: Henry on December 28, 2023, 10:34:08 PM
I'd say we should be glad that at least it's not I-13!

NDOT has better sense than to try and get an I-13 built in Las Vegas of all places. (11 has a more positive connotation—in craps, it's a win for the pass line on a come-out roll. See, I've been studying for my Nevada citizenship exam!)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

There's a traffic signal at Bonanza Road north of Kingman now. Fun.

vdeane

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 06, 2024, 08:16:40 PM
I guess they don't plan to upgrade it to I-11 any time soon then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Henry

Quote from: vdeane on March 06, 2024, 09:02:52 PM
I guess they don't plan to upgrade it to I-11 any time soon then.
Or maybe they're looking to build a bypass of the town, which may explain the signal on the current road.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ilpt4u

I have never driven US 93 south of Nevada, so this question is just from looking at Google Maps:

Where is this Bonanza Road crossing of US 93? I traced 93's route north of I-40 and did not see it. I very well may have missed it

vdeane

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 07, 2024, 01:21:45 AM
I have never driven US 93 south of Nevada, so this question is just from looking at Google Maps:

Where is this Bonanza Road crossing of US 93? I traced 93's route north of I-40 and did not see it. I very well may have missed it
https://maps.app.goo.gl/tar5iPU4HFiELH1s9
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: vdeane on March 07, 2024, 12:54:26 PM

I was up that way in late January.  Don't bother with them.  Gas up in Kingman if going north, and in Nevada if going south.  They were at $4.59/gallon, while Kingman was at $3.65 and Las Vegas was around $4.  Those stations were always price-gougers, although not as bad as Wickieup (near $6/gallon).
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Sonic99

I believe there were several really bad accidents there with it being an uncontrolled intersection so ADOT got the signal installed to help out in the short term. Don't think there's much to read into in terms of ADOT's intentions for I-11 later on.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

DJStephens

Quote from: Sonic99 on March 07, 2024, 07:27:47 PM
I believe there were several really bad accidents there with it being an uncontrolled intersection so ADOT got the signal installed to help out in the short term. Don't think there's much to read into in terms of ADOT's intentions for I-11 later on.
Yep it's a short to medium term fix.  Enough room there, going by the image, to construct a tight diamond interchange, with MSE retaining walls, with 11 and US 93 going over Bonanza, on current alignment.     

pderocco

North of Kingman? That's an odd way to describe this location. Especially since there's a Bonanza Dr in Kingman NE of downtown. I'd never have found the right one without that link.

I would think a bypass would be more likely. There's a lot of "free" land out there.

DJStephens

Again, judging by image, there is frankly not much there.  More cost effective and sensible to stay on alignment.   

Bobby5280

It might actually be cheaper to just upgrade on the existing alignment thru that spot. Attempting to bypass would result is significantly more new road to build.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: pderocco on March 07, 2024, 10:45:24 PM

North of Kingman? That's an odd way to describe this location. Especially since there's a Bonanza Dr in Kingman NE of downtown. I'd never have found the right one without that link.

The ZIP Code for that section of Mohave County is 86445, which covers Willow Beach and White Hills.  Despite what Google Maps says, it is not a Kingman ZIP Code.

QuoteI would think a bypass would be more likely. There's a lot of "free" land out there.

Last I heard, the upgrade of US 93 to I-11 north of AZ 68 will use the existing roadway, with pavement improvements (badly needed!), frontage roads as necessary, and several interchanges.  I haven't heard about any planned alternatives in recent years (but correct me if I'm wrong).
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

The Ghostbuster

The entire US 93 corridor in Arizona goes through some truly desolate land. Outside of a short bypass of Wikieup, both segments of US 93 between the Arizona/Nevada border and Wickenburg could mostly be upgraded into Interstate 11 on its existing alignment.

Scott5114

North of Kingman? That's an odd way to describe this location.

I'm not really sure how else you'd describe that location besides "north of Kingman" other than maybe "south of Boulder City". Maybe you could describe it relative to Willow Beach (apparently that's the postal city for 86445, with Kingman and White Hills listed as "acceptable"), but given that US 93 doesn't actually serve Willow Beach (which as far as I can tell is just a beach and not an actual settlement), that seems awkward too. "In rural Mohave County" is true, but not really precise.

I dunno, I'm new to this whole living in the West thing, so if there's a way a local would describe this that I'm not grasping, I'm all ears.

pderocco

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 10, 2024, 01:49:30 AM
North of Kingman? That's an odd way to describe this location.

I'm not really sure how else you'd describe that location besides "north of Kingman" other than maybe "south of Boulder City". Maybe you could describe it relative to Willow Beach (apparently that's the postal city for 86445, with Kingman and White Hills listed as "acceptable"), but given that US 93 doesn't actually serve Willow Beach (which as far as I can tell is just a beach and not an actual settlement), that seems awkward too. "In rural Mohave County" is true, but not really precise.

I dunno, I'm new to this whole living in the West thing, so if there's a way a local would describe this that I'm not grasping, I'm all ears.

Yeah, there really is no good way, if there isn't clearly a town or community name on the map. I didn't mean to sound critical. It was just a coincidence that I searched on Bonanza Dr and came up with something else much closer to Kingman. I'd probably describe this location as "south of Hoover Dam", or "25 miles south of Hoover Dam".

I wonder if they'll soon need a light at the Pilot truck stop just south of there, where CR-145 leads to a community called White Hills. I don't know if that generates any meaningful traffic, though. And eventually, if they build a freeway to Interstate standards, they'll have to choose one place for the interchange, and build frontage roads for all the abutters. So it might be easier to bypass and then call the old road BR-11.

Max Rockatansky

I take it you guys aren't a fan of White Hills?  Truth be told I'm more of a Chloride and Santa Claus man myself.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.