News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NC: The proposed I-685

Started by tolbs17, November 20, 2021, 01:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

I think the Interstate proposal would only include the segment of US 421 from Exit 238 and Exit 286B, not the segment along the Salem Parkway. However, while I agree that not every freeway in North Carolina will become an Interstate, it seems like a lot of them will.

LM117

I honestly don't see why Wilkesboro needs an interstate. It's a small town with nothing significant enough (that I'm aware of) to warrant an interstate. That would be like NCDOT building I-795 just to have it permanently end at Fremont or Pikeville.

Safety improvements to 421 such as wider shoulders are fine, but it's not worth the effort of going through red tape to get an interstate shield thrown on it, IMO.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: LM117 on November 08, 2022, 07:12:00 AM
I honestly don't see why Wilkesboro needs an interstate. It's a small town with nothing significant enough (that I'm aware of) to warrant an interstate. That would be like NCDOT building I-795 just to have it permanently end at Fremont or Pikeville.

Safety improvements to 421 such as wider shoulders are fine, but it's not worth the effort of going through red tape to get an interstate shield thrown on it, IMO.

This, in iteslf would not be enough, but the Wilkesboro speedway has reopened.

LM117

As mentioned in the "AASHTO Spring 2022 Meeting" thread, Toyota's NCDOT's request for Future I-685 was approved.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0z0beu61bb77gp/Final%20Report_USRN%20Application%20Results-%20Spring%202022.pdf

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on December 10, 2022, 03:06:38 PM
As mentioned in the "AASHTO Spring 2022 Meeting" thread, Toyota's NCDOT's request for Future I-685 was approved.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0z0beu61bb77gp/Final%20Report_USRN%20Application%20Results-%20Spring%202022.pdf

It will be interesting to see if Wilmington will have the same kind of pull as Toyota, or just be ignored like usual.

LM117

NCDOT awarded a contract to resurface and improve a nearly 15-mile stretch of US-421 in Randolph and Chatham counties. Work can begin on March 1, and is expected to wrap up in fall 2024.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-01-24-randolph-chatham-resurfacing.aspx

sprjus4

^ And I'll guess, per typical NCDOT practice, the shoulders will not be widened in process. They were smart when did they projects along US-264 and US-70, but doesn't seem to be the norm otherwise.

AlmaPinnix

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 25, 2023, 02:14:22 PM
^ And I'll guess, per typical NCDOT practice, the shoulders will not be widened in process. They were smart when did they projects along US-264 and US-70, but doesn't seem to be the norm otherwise.

It does say Shoulder reconstruction. So most likely that will mean they will repave 3 full lanes, with the 3rd one being the shoulder. Especially because the project is for upgrading the road to interstate standards.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: AlmaPinnix on January 25, 2023, 04:33:38 PM

It does say Shoulder reconstruction. So most likely that will mean they will repave 3 full lanes, with the 3rd one being the shoulder. Especially because the project is for upgrading the road to interstate standards.

Not looking like it when compared to the US 70 plans.

sprjus4

You'd think, but even similar projects along the US-64 / US-17 corridor haven't included full paved shoulders either.

They resurfaced the US-17 Elizabeth City bypass two years ago, and did not widen the shoulders. Given it's already a controlled access highway segment, and the shoulders are graded, they could've easily widened the shoulders to 10 ft and never had to further upgrade that portion again.

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 25, 2023, 09:06:42 PM

You'd think, but even similar projects along the US-64 / US-17 corridor haven't included full paved shoulders either.

They resurfaced the US-17 Elizabeth City bypass two years ago, and did not widen the shoulders. Given it's already a controlled access highway segment, and the shoulders are graded, they could've easily widened the shoulders to 10 ft and never had to further upgrade that portion again.

Same thing with US-70 in La Grange.

sprjus4

^ I'm curious if that segment will stand problematic once the Kinston Bypass is constructed... if not upgraded before that, it will be a "gap"  in an otherwise long-distance interstate standard freeway between west of Goldsboro and Havelock.

bob7374

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 25, 2023, 11:08:18 PM
^ I'm curious if that segment will stand problematic once the Kinston Bypass is constructed... if not upgraded before that, it will be a "gap"  in an otherwise long-distance interstate standard freeway between west of Goldsboro and Havelock.
The chosen alternative for the Kinston Bypass includes upgrading existing US 70 for 7 miles from the end of the Goldsboro Bypass through LaGrange to the site of the 6.5 mile 'Shallow Bypass.' Currently the FEIS is to be released this year, with right of way starting in 2026, the construction date is still TBD.

sprjus4

^ Yes, but it does not include upgrading the existing LaGrange freeway portion, only east of there.

That two mile freeway section was resurfaced and had the shoulders widened to 4 ft (from basically nothing) when the Goldsboro Bypass was complete, along with the speed limit raised from 55 mph to 70 mph, but did not widen all the way to 10 ft to meet interstate standards.

bob7374

NCDOT press release about another short-term intersection improvement project along US 421 on its way to becoming I-685:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-02-21-impending-crossover-closure-421.aspx

wdcrft63

Quote from: bob7374 on February 21, 2023, 09:47:16 PM
NCDOT press release about another intersection improvement project along US 421 on its way to becoming I-685:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-02-21-impending-crossover-closure-421.aspx
If the goal is to upgrade US 421 to an interstate, this would be a project to build an overpass or an interchange. Making a super street style intersection instead telegraphs that I-685 isn't coming anytime soon.

The Ghostbuster

Should it come at all? I'm okay with US 421 becoming completely freeway between Greensboro (Interstate 85) and Dunn (Interstate 95), with a freeway connection between 95 and Interstate 40 near Newton Grove. However, I think continuing 685 down 421 from Dunn all the way to Wilmington is serious overkill, when Interstate 40 already serves that area.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 22, 2023, 01:24:20 PM
Should it come at all? I'm okay with US 421 becoming completely freeway between Greensboro (Interstate 85) and Dunn (Interstate 95), with a freeway connection between 95 and Interstate 40 near Newton Grove. However, I think continuing 685 down 421 from Dunn all the way to Wilmington is serious overkill, when Interstate 40 already serves that area.
^ Agreed, but that's not being talked about here at all... this in reference to an at-grade intersection on US-421 southeast of Greensboro.

The Ghostbuster

True, the discussion before was about this intersection: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8987159,-79.6601115,804m/data=!3m1!1e3. Personally, I think it should be converted into an underpass. My previous comment was about the proposed Interstate 685 in general.

bob7374

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 21, 2023, 10:46:01 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on February 21, 2023, 09:47:16 PM
NCDOT press release about another intersection improvement project along US 421 on its way to becoming I-685:
If the goal is to upgrade US 421 to an interstate, this would be a project to build an overpass or an interchange. Making a super street style intersection instead telegraphs that I-685 isn't coming anytime soon.
Perhaps, but NCDOT put the same sort of reduced conflict intersection along US 74 in Robeson County around Broadridge Road a year before they started the project to turn the intersection into an interchange for Future I-74. The reasoning was it was a short term fix to improve safety in the area prior to construction. So it could happen sooner than later.

The Ghostbuster

I am making this post since I agree any posts about future Interstate 685 should be posted here, instead of another thread such as the "NC-24 from Clinton, NC to Rose Hill Updates?" thread.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 14, 2024, 03:55:44 PM
I am making this post since I agree any posts about future Interstate 685 should be posted here, instead of another thread such as the "NC-24 from Clinton, NC to Rose Hill Updates?" thread.
NC-24 is not apart of the proposed I-685, it is appropriate to be its own thread.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.