News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highways that can only be driven in one travel direction

Started by Max Rockatansky, November 20, 2022, 10:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

While I was recently on Maui I did a quick drive on unsigned Hawaii Route 3600 which is an interim 0.4 mile state route on Paia Mini-Bypass.  Hawaii Route 3600 is a single lane highway which can only be driven eastbound only.  What other state or DOT maintained highways are out there that only be traveled solely in one direction?

1995hoo

I-878 in New York, perhaps? I think that unposted route number only applies eastbound.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

There's a 0.7 mile reversible section of FL 618 near Brandon which isn't accessible at all times of day. Such is life that I can never seem to be going in that clinchable direction at the right time...having clinched it decades earlier is kind of irritating.

Probably a few more like this in the age of express and toll lanes.

lstone19

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 20, 2022, 10:55:22 AM
While I was recently on Maui I did a quick drive on unsigned Hawaii Route 3600 which is an interim 0.4 mile state route on Paia Mini-Bypass.  Hawaii Route 3600 is a single lane highway which can only be driven eastbound only.  What other state or DOT maintained highways are out there that only be traveled solely in one direction?

Head 200 miles northwest to Kapaa on Kauai and the first 3/4 mile of HI 5600, the Kapaa bypass, is one-way southbound only. I rarely use the bypass northbound because when you get to the one-way segment, it then dumps you into downtown Kapaa plus you've had the expense of a couple of difficult left turns.

wanderer2575

The Woodward Avenue loop (BL I-75 and BL US-24) in Pontiac MI can be driven only in a counterclockwise direction.  There is a short wrong-way concurrency at the top of the loop (south BL 75 and north BL 24) that doesn't exist in the opposite directions.

https://goo.gl/maps/jsCJWi54Zt2deeZV6

(This will change in a couple years when MDOT rebuilds it as a two-way boulevard.)

thefraze_1020

Washington SR-41. It straddles the Idaho state line at Newport, WA/ Oldtown, ID. WA-41 is southbound only for a few blocks until the highway turns into Idaho fully. For simplicity, it is signed as ID-41 only.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

cockroachking

US-219 Truck in Ridgway, PA. 2 of the 3 segments are one-way NB only. The middle segment is concurrent with PA-120.

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 20, 2022, 11:20:54 AM
I-878 in New York, perhaps? I think that unposted route number only applies eastbound.
I am 99% sure that is correct.

froggie

ALT US 60 in Norfolk, VA only exists in the westbound direction.

dlsterner

In Cresaptown MD (near Cumberland) there is a section of MD 53 of a few blocks (between US 220 and MD 636) that can only be driven southbound.

Took a bit of ingenuity to complete that clinch along with the other roads I was trying to get.

https://goo.gl/maps/zsovB35Z58udPZQY8

Mapmikey

Also in Virginia: 

all of VA 349, VA 393 and VA 399

parts of VA 131 and VA 376

mgk920

The freeway part of NY 878 by JFK airport (Nassau Expressway) in NYC.

Mike

roadman65

The southern part of MD 528 in Ocean City, MD.

PA 72 in Lancaster has a part where only NB exists.

Then the PA 23 and 462 concurrency is only WB only while EB has the two routes independent of one another.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Unposted ALT WV 3 in Whitesville can only be driven northbound (actual direction)/westbound (posted direction of WV 3).

There are probably a few other ALT and SPUR routes labeled on West Virginia maps that would qualify. I think there may be some shorter routes/streets like this in downtown Welch.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

pderocco

Not highways, but Black Bear Road going over the pass and down into Telluride, CO is one-way. So is Titus Canyon Rd in Death Valley. Both require going quite far out of the way to go the other direction.

hbelkins

There's a one-way scenic loop near Gatlinburg that I've driven a couple of times.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on November 23, 2022, 12:14:30 PM
There's a one-way scenic loop near Gatlinburg that I've driven a couple of times.

Cades Cove? If so, I don't think it's numbered, but it is loggable in TM.

dlsterner

Quote from: webny99 on November 23, 2022, 12:17:07 PM

Might be thinking of the Roaring Fork Trail.  It's a 10-ish mile one-way loop beginning and ending in Gatlinburg.  10 mph speed limit IIRC.  Drove it once about a decade ago.

hbelkins

Quote from: dlsterner on November 23, 2022, 01:37:38 PM

Might be thinking of the Roaring Fork Trail.  It's a 10-ish mile one-way loop beginning and ending in Gatlinburg.  10 mph speed limit IIRC.  Drove it once about a decade ago.

Yep, that's it. Name was on the tip of my tongue fingers.

Bitmapped

Quote from: dlsterner on November 20, 2022, 08:07:55 PM
In Cresaptown MD (near Cumberland) there is a section of MD 53 of a few blocks (between US 220 and MD 636) that can only be driven southbound.

Took a bit of ingenuity to complete that clinch along with the other roads I was trying to get.

https://goo.gl/maps/zsovB35Z58udPZQY8

MDOT is planning to make that section of MD 53 two-way by building a new northbound lane: https://mdot-sha-us220-intrs-at-md53-al445111-maryland.hub.arcgis.com/

Takumi

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 20, 2022, 08:11:29 PM
Also in Virginia: 

There's also the route through Petersburg National Battlefield, which IIRC is a 90xxx route.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on November 24, 2022, 09:43:14 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on November 20, 2022, 08:11:29 PM
Also in Virginia: 

There's also the route through Petersburg National Battlefield, which IIRC is a 90xxx route.

It is, VA 90230.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on November 23, 2022, 07:25:55 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on November 23, 2022, 01:37:38 PM

Yep, that's it. Name was on the tip of my tongue fingers.

Cades Cove was mostly one-way last I drove on it in mid-2020.

(Not really a highway in the traditional sense, but it's in Travel Mapping.)

Dirt Roads

Would you consider the one-way loop for Drillfield Drive at Virginia Tech (a major section of VA-314) to be "only driven in one travel direction"?  Traditionally, the Drillfield was entirely a one-way loop around the Drillfield, a 22-acre oval park that is at the heart of campus.  Nowadays, Stanger Street and Kent Street have been interconnected behind War Memorial Chapel (ergo, in front of The Pylons) with a dumbbell arrangement that converts the intersection with The Mall (now Alumni Mall) as a two-way street (hence, Drillfield Drive is no longer a one-way loop all the way around). Back when I was there, most of the traffic on Drillfield Drive went around the entire loop in search of convenient parking. 

I almost learned my lesson as a pedestrian the hard way.  I got complacent at the Drillfield and would only look towards oncoming traffic before crossing.  I once crossed in the path of someone backing up in front of War Memorial Gym after spying a parking space behind him.  He missed me by about 2 inches.  Now I know why I should "look both ways", no matter the traffic pattern.

For the record, Drillfield Drive [can] be used as a one-way pair extension of The Mall between Main Street and West Campus Drive. 

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Dirt Roads on November 25, 2022, 12:48:27 PM
Would you consider the one-way loop for Drillfield Drive at Virginia Tech (a major section of VA-314) to be "only driven in one travel direction"?  Traditionally, the Drillfield was entirely a one-way loop around the Drillfield, a 22-acre oval park that is at the heart of campus.  Nowadays, Stanger Street and Kent Street have been interconnected behind War Memorial Chapel (ergo, in front of The Pylons) with a dumbbell arrangement that converts the intersection with The Mall (now Alumni Mall) as a two-way street (hence, Drillfield Drive is no longer a one-way loop all the way around). Back when I was there, most of the traffic on Drillfield Drive went around the entire loop in search of convenient parking. 

I almost learned my lesson as a pedestrian the hard way.  I got complacent at the Drillfield and would only look towards oncoming traffic before crossing.  I once crossed in the path of someone backing up in front of War Memorial Gym after spying a parking space behind him.  He missed me by about 2 inches.  Now I know why I should "look both ways", no matter the traffic pattern.

For the record, Drillfield Drive [can] be used as a one-way pair extension of The Mall between Main Street and West Campus Drive. 

It's still VA 314, so it counted for the purposes of this thread before those streets were reconfigured.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

mgk920

One is the central loop motorway in Charleroi, Belgium.  Also, there is a similar central loop somewhere in Japan.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.