Is any of this forum in ChatGPT's corpus?

Started by hotdogPi, December 07, 2022, 05:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

I'm not sure how many of you have heard of ChatGPT, but it's a new chatbot that can create good user essays, write better Star Wars Episodes X-XII than the actual creators can do VII-IX, and a lot more. It contains data up to 2021. However, you cannot rely on it for accuracy. I want to know if the model used any of this forum for training. You will need to create an OpenAI account to use the bot though. Note that you cannot mess up the bot permanently, as it does not learn from user input, which is necessary as previous bots have typically been taken over by Neo-Nazis. This post was written by a human, trust me.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

I've never heard of it, and nobody has contacted the staff asking for permission to do such a thing, so probably not. Unless someone did it without asking. Which would be rude.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Jim

Quote from: 1 on December 07, 2022, 05:57:51 PM
This post was written by a human, trust me.

Sounds like something an AI writer would say to me...
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

SectorZ

Quote from: Jim on December 07, 2022, 07:01:43 PM

It kind of has the "who smelt it, dealt it" ideal with starting this thread.

US 89

Quote from: SectorZ on December 07, 2022, 07:21:00 PM

Yeah, how do we know "1" doesn't mean the 1st bot to succesfully register?  :hmmm:

Scott5114

Quote from: US 89 on December 07, 2022, 07:33:20 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on December 07, 2022, 07:21:00 PM

Yeah, how do we know "1" doesn't mean the 1st bot to succesfully register?  :hmmm:

I can confirm that "1" is perfectly valid binary code for "1".

bm7

ChatGPT is based on GPT-3, which was trained using some data from Common Crawl, which is a dataset containing billions of webpages. I checked using their search, and Common Crawl has thousands of pages from this forum in their data, so it's possible but it depends on exactly what data they used for GPT.

SectorZ

Quote from: bm7 on December 08, 2022, 01:24:49 AM
ChatGPT is based on GPT-3, which was trained using some data from Common Crawl, which is a dataset containing billions of webpages. I checked using their search, and Common Crawl has thousands of pages from this forum in their data, so it's possible but it depends on exactly what data they used for GPT.

Thank [fill in deity of choice] it can't see the fictional board.

algorerhythms

I'm not sure how many of you have heard of ChatGPT, but it's a new chatbot that can create good user essays,
For certain values of "good" . I have an account and have been quizzing it on trivia. It knows Wikipedia so it usually gets the trivia questions right. When it gets one wrong and I correct it it either ignores me and insists it's right, or grovels like it's sucking up to me. When I ask it to write trivia questions, though, they are pretty much always terrible.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 07, 2022, 06:17:50 PM
I've never heard of it, and nobody has contacted the staff asking for permission to do such a thing, so probably not. Unless someone did it without asking. Which would be rude.

That's the thing, all these AI tools don't ask permission. A lot of the art-generating AIs were trained on hundreds of thousands of real art pieces that were taken without permission, and people using those tools are claiming the products as their own art.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Jim

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 08, 2022, 02:02:09 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 07, 2022, 06:17:50 PM

That's the thing, all these AI tools don't ask permission. A lot of the art-generating AIs were trained on hundreds of thousands of real art pieces that were taken without permission, and people using those tools are claiming the products as their own art.

Related: https://www.infoworld.com/article/3679748/github-faces-lawsuit-over-copilot-coding-tool.html
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Roadgeekteen

what is the aaroads forum?

AARoads Forum is a website dedicated to discussions and information about highways, roads, and transportation topics in the United States and around the world. It is a community for people interested in transportation planning, engineering, and related topics to exchange ideas and information.

I asked it what is the aaroads forum, and this is what it answered with. Seems like it at least knows about the fourm.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

Robots will control society by 2040 at the latest.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

GaryV

Quote from: SectorZ on December 08, 2022, 09:54:17 AM
Thank [fill in deity of choice] it can't see the fictional board.

What, you don't want to ask it, "What is the best plan for Long Island that MMM has devised?"

And, "How many new islands can be planned with subway systems?"

hbelkins

Has anyone asked it about the flatness of Illinois?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

Quote from: algorerhythms on December 08, 2022, 11:09:50 AMFor certain values of "good" . I have an account and have been quizzing it on trivia. It knows Wikipedia so it usually gets the trivia questions right. When it gets one wrong and I correct it it either ignores me and insists it's right, or grovels like it's sucking up to me. When I ask it to write trivia questions, though, they are pretty much always terrible.

It can generate text on the basis that certain phrases containing certain words tend to occur close together in time and space, but since it does this without any deep understanding of their meaning, it cannot develop insight.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

bing101

ChatGPT for now is all hype. We really need to wait a few years to really understand the impact this technology have on us. How do we separate Venture Capitalist hype from reality is yet to be seen and we need the bubble to pop to really understand if it's a scam or not. Basically we need a dot-com bust and Crypto currency bust to find out the reality.

kalvado

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 07, 2023, 01:17:53 PM
Quote from: algorerhythms on December 08, 2022, 11:09:50 AMFor certain values of "good" . I have an account and have been quizzing it on trivia. It knows Wikipedia so it usually gets the trivia questions right. When it gets one wrong and I correct it it either ignores me and insists it's right, or grovels like it's sucking up to me. When I ask it to write trivia questions, though, they are pretty much always terrible.

It can generate text on the basis that certain phrases containing certain words tend to occur close together in time and space, but since it does this without any deep understanding of their meaning, it cannot develop insight.
Something that is true about a good part of the undergrad cohort as well.

Scott5114

I haven't used ChatGPT yet, but I've fiddled around with Stable Diffusion (which generates images). My verdict is that it's not really something I want to use to produce finished images, but it can be useful for generating a starting point that can inspire me to produce my own image.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on February 07, 2023, 12:56:28 PM
"No, Illinois is not flat. It has rolling hills, prairies, and some areas of low relief such as the Northern Illinois Glacial Till Plains. The southern and southwestern parts of the state are characterized by more rugged topography, including the Shawnee Hills and the Ozark Plateau."

From Chat GPT. Prompt was "Is Illinois flat?"
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

J N Winkler

Prompt:  "Explain how runaway truck ramps work"

ChatGPT:  "Runaway truck ramps (also known as emergency escape ramps) are designed to assist truck drivers in stopping their vehicles in the event of a brake failure. These ramps are usually located on steep highways and mountain roads, where the risk of trucks losing control and speeding down the road is high. The ramps work by providing an inclined surface for the truck's wheels to roll up, gradually slowing down the vehicle as it comes to a stop. The ramps are typically made of concrete or asphalt, and are angled in such a way as to ensure that the truck's momentum is gradually absorbed as it rolls up the ramp. Once the truck comes to a stop, it can be safely parked or attended to by the authorities."

It sounds high-verbal, but look closely and you can see how nonsensical it is.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 07, 2023, 08:39:09 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 07, 2023, 12:56:28 PM
"No, Illinois is not flat. It has rolling hills, prairies, and some areas of low relief such as the Northern Illinois Glacial Till Plains. The southern and southwestern parts of the state are characterized by more rugged topography, including the Shawnee Hills and the Ozark Plateau."

From Chat GPT. Prompt was "Is Illinois flat?"

ChatGPT angling for a ban, I see.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.