News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What is your internet speed like?

Started by Bruce, January 09, 2023, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Your tested download speed in Mbps

0-50 Mbps
4 (21.1%)
51-100 Mbps
3 (15.8%)
101-250 Mbps
0 (0%)
251-500 Mbps
3 (15.8%)
501-750 Mbps
3 (15.8%)
More
6 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Bruce

This should be a good place to bitch about your ISP.

I have Astound (formerly Wave) and routinely get over 250 Mbps DL/20 UL over Wi-Fi to local servers on various speed testing websites. I'm paying for 300 Mbps service, though it was only recently that I replaced my modem and router to get higher speeds.

abefroman329

We have gigabit Internet from Comcast, and even with a modem that actually supports those speeds and a mesh wifi network, I don't think we get more than ~750 mbps.  Which is still way more than we need.

I hate Comcast for reasons too numerous to mention, but they're a billion times more reliable than our only other option, RCN.

SectorZ

100/100 with Verizon Fios. Could pay for more but I'm fine with what I have.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

Google says I get 173 down and 5.22 up. I could get a nicer plan from Cox, but I don't have the money. However, my computer is decrepit enough I imagine any latency issues I have are probably more likely to be caused by the browser renderer than anything else.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

I'm paying for 200/200 but a speed test I just did is more like 301/313.  This is fairly normal.  Verizon FiOS is awesome.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

wxfree

I use Charter Spectrum, which advertises the service as 300 Mbps.  When I plug the computer directly to the modem, it comes in at around 315.  My router is not high-end, because I don't need it to be, and the wired ports are limited to 100, so the normal speed at the computer is about 95.  For the computer and one TV, both of which are wired, and also another TV and mobile devices that are wireless, it's more than fast enough.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

KeithE4Phx

I have CenturyLink internet with 80 Mb down and 10 Mb up.  For $55 a month, it works well enough for us, even when streaming video on 3 TVs.  My only alternatives are Cox and T-Mobile (my cellphone provider).  Neither is acceptable as an ISP.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Dirt Roads

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on January 09, 2023, 10:43:43 PM
I have CenturyLink internet with 80 Mb down and 10 Mb up.  For $55 a month, it works well enough for us, even when streaming video on 3 TVs.  My only alternatives are Cox and T-Mobile (my cellphone provider).  Neither is acceptable as an ISP.

Starting this past November, CenturyLink has dumped our service to a new provider Brightspeed that is based out of Charlotte.  There's been a little bit of decline in Internet speed, but a significant improvement in service (both customer service and response).  But you'all are making me jealous.  Right now, I got 6.3 Mb down and 0.69 Mb up.  That's down from a recent peak of about 7.5 Mb down* and 0.85 Mb up*.  But we live way out in the boonies (although it is starting to grow up around us really fast).  I was the first out here to get DSL service, and the original DSL was much almost twice as fast as this version.  It was still active when our original DSL modem died after some 12 years of service, but nobody had anything compatible with the old DSL frequencies.  It appears that the bandwidth on the newer frequencies are shared with too many other customers out here.

*corrected the ups and downs  :crazy:

kalvado

When Spectrum upgraded me from 30-10 to 100-10 I didn't realize that until a few months later. When they went up another notch, I didn't realize that until I upgraded my router.
300-10 right now, and if anything I would like to see that "10" upgraded. Limitations of DOCSIS and aging infrastructure though.
Fiber is finally getting built in the area, but I have a gut feeling it will be "oh so close, but..." situation.

ET21

We just updated our equipment from Xfinity, the old modem used to average 100-175 mbps but couldn't handle what we were rated (300-500 mbps).

Now the new modem along with a free boost in speed and we're getting 250-400 mdps, but are rated for up to 700 mdps
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

JayhawkCO

Mine works just fine for streaming and Teams meetings and such. Just ran a speed test. Xfinity.

183.16 down, 5.55 up.

skluth

No idea. Don't care. It's fast enough for everything I need. It beats the crap out of having a 2400 baud dialup modem like I had in the late 80's.

seicer

I recently got T-Mobile Home Internet for on-the-road use (you need service at your house to be eligible), and I pay $50/month for unlimited data. The downside of the giant hotspot is that Home Internet customers are the lowest priority for service, so if there is congestion, you are de-prioritized. It's great for my nomadic lifestyle - I plug the modem/router into my power box, and it sips just 6 watts/hour. Speeds vary, but in much of West Virginia, where there is service, I can get 50-100 Mbps/25 Mbps. I can pull 300 Mbps throughout Ohio and in many places in Kentucky, and was getting close to 500 Mbps in upstate New York when I got on a 5G UC connection. Another downside is that the router is not that configurable, and people have found workarounds for using VPNs and for specific configurations they need. I wish T-Mobile would allow for more customization in the service.

We decided to dump Spectrum at the house for another Home Internet modem/router, going from $79/month to $50/month. At first, speeds were great and I could get 150 Mbps/20 Mbps on average but they have been overselling service on the towers. It's been close to 5-10 Mbps in the evenings for a few weeks.

A few months ago, Windstream Kinect strung fiber on our road, so we decided to give them a try. $50/month and the install was easy. Our first run was today and I am averaging 800 Mbps/850 Mbps. It's convinced us to dump Home Internet for the house - keeping the other for on-the-road use. It's going to make a night-and-day difference in my work and I'll now no longer have to hack around to get my services to work.

Scott5114

Quote from: skluth on January 10, 2023, 12:19:51 PM
No idea. Don't care. It's fast enough for everything I need. It beats the crap out of having a 2400 baud dialup modem like I had in the late 80's.

It's a good idea to know, just in case you may be overpaying for what you have.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 10, 2023, 06:15:43 PM
Quote from: skluth on January 10, 2023, 12:19:51 PM

It's a good idea to know, just in case you may be overpaying for what you have.
assuming you have competition worth mentioning. Local provider has lower pricing in competitive areas and is tight on discounts when they know options are limited to either them or nothing.

Rothman

I pay for 400 Mbs up/down from Verizon FiOS.  They report I'm getting 726 down/428 up.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

I get 160 Mbps download/210 upload according to the online speed test.

It's really awful where my parents are in Utah. For some reason, their neighborhood still has never gotten cable, much less fiber, so a DSL connection through CenturyLink has pretty much been their only option. They pay extra to get the fastest speed CenturyLink will offer them, which is supposedly 40 Mbps download. It's actually more like 2. I was there for Christmas and was horrified at how bad their wifi was. Couldn't watch 10 seconds of a YouTube video without it buffering and it would take 30 seconds to just load a simple web page. They're certainly not Elon Musk fans, but they're getting close to jumping on the Starlink satellite internet train because the CenturyLink monopoly is so bad.

It's not like they live out in the sticks, either. They live in a suburb 20 minutes from downtown SLC.

kkt

Download:  26 Mbps.  Upload:  6 Mbps.

This is what passes for "gigabit" in Centurylinkland.
Also they say you can get a fixed IP address, but the web page that lets you sign up for it is mysteriously broken.

US 89

^ CenturyLink also has some of the worst customer service I've ever heard of. My mother tried to call them about one of those tall greenish-gray phone boxes being knocked down in their neighborhood and she spent something like 4 hours navigating through the phone tree or sitting on hold, all for the guy who finally picked up to tell her he had no idea what she was talking about and hang up.

My parents did manage to get a fixed IP with them years back, but that could have been long enough ago it was with Qwest. Clearly CenturyLink is now too big to provide its customers with good internet or customer service.

SSOWorld

I get 940M down and 125 M up. How's that for Clink (erm darkspeed)

The up speed isn't their fault. I have a limited speed router that has firmware the manufacturer doesn't care to fix.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kalvado

Looking at modem status page may be entertaining if you use cable DOCSIS. http://192.168.100.1 pretty often.
If you have too noisy line or not enough power, it will be right there.

Rothman

Quote from: US 89 on January 11, 2023, 11:39:39 PM

It's really awful where my parents are in Utah. For some reason, their neighborhood still has never gotten cable, much less fiber, so a DSL connection through CenturyLink has pretty much been their only option. They pay extra to get the fastest speed CenturyLink will offer them, which is supposedly 40 Mbps download. It's actually more like 2. I was there for Christmas and was horrified at how bad their wifi was. Couldn't watch 10 seconds of a YouTube video without it buffering and it would take 30 seconds to just load a simple web page. They're certainly not Elon Musk fans, but they're getting close to jumping on the Starlink satellite internet train because the CenturyLink monopoly is so bad.

It's not like they live out in the sticks, either. They live in a suburb 20 minutes from downtown SLC.
Reminds me of White City -- stubborn suburbs that did not combine with others and cannot afford infrastructure improvements on their own.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on January 12, 2023, 06:58:01 AM

Reminds me of White City -- stubborn suburbs that did not combine with others and cannot afford infrastructure improvements on their own.
Unlike water or sewer, cabled utilities are often privately owned - electricity, phone, TV cable. So town size shouldn't matter too much, I would think. I wonder if there is anything preventing expansion in certain areas? Overly jealous permitting system, soil structure or what?..
In NY, state certainly pushes utilities to cover as many areas as possible.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on January 12, 2023, 07:19:06 AM
Quote from: Rothman on January 12, 2023, 06:58:01 AM

Unlike water or sewer, cabled utilities are often privately owned - electricity, phone, TV cable. So town size shouldn't matter too much, I would think. I wonder if there is anything preventing expansion in certain areas? Overly jealous permitting system, soil structure or what?..
In NY, state certainly pushes utilities to cover as many areas as possible.
Right.  Could be a ROW issue as well.  Even in NY, smaller municipalities need a lot of help navigating the legal framework when private utilities come a-knockin' (or, as a totally separate topic, if some idiot awards them federal funds -- they typically have no idea how to navigate the federal processes, especially for consultant hiring...).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.