News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Changes to sports

Started by Poiponen13, February 13, 2023, 11:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Promotion/relegation will never happen in North American sports no matter how much people try to build the infrastructure to support it. No current major professional team will ever agree to risk the embarrassment for its implementation.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Promotion in relegation in Europe has been in place for many years. Trying to implement in America would be chaos and would never work. A fun experiment for OOTP though
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

mgk920

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 14, 2023, 03:15:13 PM
Promotion/relegation will never happen in North American sports no matter how much people try to build the infrastructure to support it. No current major professional team will ever agree to risk the embarrassment for its implementation.

The team could get bad and the fans would flee, anyways.

Mike

1995hoo

The franchise fee required to buy an expansion team in the four biggest leagues (I don't know what MLS franchise fees are these days) are a major reason why you won't see promotion and relegation. Consider the most recent expansion team, the NHL's Seattle Kraken. They paid a $650 million franchise fee. No doubt the NFL and MLB would both impose higher fees than that. No owner in his right mind would pay that fee and then risk being relegated right out of the gate (given that traditionally expansion franchises don't do well in their first season, though there have been some notable exceptions like the Vegas Golden Knights and the Carolina Panthers).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Copied from the NFL Reddit, here are some of my stupid NFL rule change ideas:

Moving touchbacks back to the 1 yard line. That would radically change how the return game would work. I thought about that because I like seeing returns as they are fun. Suddenly having a good returner would be so much more valuable and star players might start returning kicks. Would increase injuries, however.

Each team gets 102 timeouts for the entire season. Use them wisely! For the playoffs, each team gets 12. Need to burn them all to eek out a wildcard win? Goodluck with no timeouts for the rest of your run. Can do the same with challenges.

Power plays: If a team commits a major penalty that could cause serious injury, like a helmet hit, the team has to remove that player from the field with no replacement for a set amount of plays, making it like a power play in hockey.

Extra point madness- for every touchdown scored, the player that scores it has to kick the extra point.

Kicker shootout- if a game is in third OT with no points, the kickers have a shootout, starting with a 15 yard field goal, than a 25 yarder, 35 yarder, 45 yarder, 55 yarder, until a team wins.

Player loans

Teams are allowed to rent players from other teams for the playoffs for draft picks.

Player thief

After a team wins a playoff game, they can steal one player from the opponent. Each player can only be stolen once. Cowboys fans explode with debate on whether to steal Tom Brady or stick with Dak.

No Trade Dealine-

You get the point

No FA announcements during offseason, everything kept secret until week 1

OH NO WHY IS TOM BRADY NOT RUNNING OUT WHY IS CAM NEWTON HERE

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

mgk920

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 15, 2023, 11:47:43 AM

Power plays: If a team commits a major penalty that could cause serious injury, like a helmet hit, the team has to remove that player from the field with no replacement for a set amount of plays, making it like a power play in hockey.

I have been saying for quite a few years now that the NFL should fully adopt the yellow card/red card rules of fútbol, with a personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct call being at minimum a 'yellow card'.  The looming specter of a team having to play the rest of a game at least a player short would be a HUGE incentive for everyone on the field to behave.

Mike

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: mgk920 on February 16, 2023, 12:40:16 AM

I have been saying for quite a few years now that the NFL should fully adopt the yellow card/red card rules of fútbol, with a personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct call being at minimum a 'yellow card'.  The looming specter of a team having to play the rest of a game at least a player short would be a HUGE incentive for everyone on the field to behave.

Mike
IMO unsportsmanlike conduct shouldn't be a penalty. These are millionare players, grow up and take the taunting.

texaskdog

Moving touchbacks back to the 1 yard line. That would radically change how the return game would work. I thought about that because I like seeing returns as they are fun. Suddenly having a good returner would be so much more valuable and star players might start returning kicks. Would increase injuries, however.

Each team gets 102 timeouts for the entire season. Use them wisely! For the playoffs, each team gets 12. Need to burn them all to eek out a wildcard win? Goodluck with no timeouts for the rest of your run. Can do the same with challenges.

Extra point madness- for every touchdown scored, the player that scores it has to kick the extra point.

Kicker shootout- if a game is in third OT with no points, the kickers have a shootout, starting with a 15 yard field goal, than a 25 yarder, 35 yarder, 45 yarder, 55 yarder, until a team wins.

Player loans

Teams are allowed to rent players from other teams for the playoffs for draft picks.

Player thief

After a team wins a playoff game, they can steal one player from the opponent. Each player can only be stolen once. Cowboys fans explode with debate on whether to steal Tom Brady or stick with Dak.

No Trade Dealine-

You get the point

No FA announcements during offseason, everything kept secret until week 1

OH NO WHY IS TOM BRADY NOT RUNNING OUT WHY IS CAM NEWTON HERE

I wish kickoffs were from the 15 to get rid of the stupid kicks into the end zone.

No more kicking extra points but 1, 2, 3 you could go for.

How about the team to score last starts overtime on defense?  Then when they play for the tie instead of the win, they'd be at a disadvantage and more teams would try to win in regulation.

Player gets hurt he has to stay out the rest of the drive.  Thus no fake injury time outs.

How about if punts go out of bounds the other team gets the ball at the line of scrimmage?

texaskdog

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 13, 2023, 11:28:42 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 13, 2023, 11:19:06 AM
These are my proposed changes to major North American sports leagues.

Basketball
In NBA, two breaks would be set around FIBA international match days.

That's not the change I would make. I would do something more like:

Basketball
Fouling a player to gain an advantage, especially at the end of the game, would somehow be made unfeasible.

Automatic 2 points to the fouled team, and they get the ball too. 

Bruce

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 15, 2023, 11:34:16 AM
The franchise fee required to buy an expansion team in the four biggest leagues (I don't know what MLS franchise fees are these days) are a major reason why you won't see promotion and relegation. Consider the most recent expansion team, the NHL's Seattle Kraken. They paid a $650 million franchise fee. No doubt the NFL and MLB would both impose higher fees than that. No owner in his right mind would pay that fee and then risk being relegated right out of the gate (given that traditionally expansion franchises don't do well in their first season, though there have been some notable exceptions like the Vegas Golden Knights and the Carolina Panthers).

Charlotte FC paid $325 million. St. Louis paid $200 million and had to wait a bit longer.

The next round is rumored to be in the $600 million range, since MLS is likely to stop expanding when it reaches 32 teams. It's already really hard to schedule games due to distance and required recovery time, and soccer fans are not pleased at being unable to play every other team in the league at least once a year.

texaskdog

How about this for hockey?  Instead of the fake OT losses, if you win in regulation you get 3, loser gets 0 points.  If you win in overtime, you get 2, the loser gets 1.  Every game is still 3 points regardless. 

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 16, 2023, 01:01:27 AM
IMO unsportsmanlike conduct shouldn't be a penalty. These are millionare players, grow up and take the taunting.

Unsportsmanlike conduct absolutely needs to exist as a penalty, I think what you're getting at is that maybe taunting shouldn't qualify for that penalty.

1995hoo

Quote from: texaskdog on February 16, 2023, 01:25:59 AM
How about this for hockey?  Instead of the fake OT losses, if you win in regulation you get 3, loser gets 0 points.  If you win in overtime, you get 2, the loser gets 1.  Every game is still 3 points regardless. 

Lots of people have suggested that. The league has resisted so far on the basis that three for a win would "distort" the standings as compared to historical records. But that's a somewhat bogus argument because the phantom OTL point already has that effect, as does the rules change of every game having a winner and a loser (versus before when games ended in ties). Standings point totals are already higher, on the whole, than they were before.

The problem with the NHL's current system is that it makes some games worth more than others, statistically, but there's no way to know before a given game whether it will fall into that category–the third point just appears out of the ether if a game goes to overtime. No regular-season game should be worth more than any other game on a statistical basis. Certainly we all know some games can matter more for various reasons–a team can need to break out of a slump, or a game against a heated rival carries emotional weight, or it's late in the season and the playoff race is tight and a team needs every point it can get–and that's fine, but it's not right that random games wind up counting for more in the standings than other games do.

Quote from: webny99 on February 16, 2023, 08:22:25 AM

Unsportsmanlike conduct absolutely needs to exist as a penalty, I think what you're getting at is that maybe taunting shouldn't qualify for that penalty.

An excellent example of when it should be a penalty was seen in a Capitals game earlier this season (Dec. 23–I was at the game) against Winnipeg, when the Jets got called for icing and a Jets player didn't like the call and slammed the puck down the ice right as the linesman was going to pick it up. Immediate (and justified) unsportsmanlike conduct call.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on February 16, 2023, 08:22:25 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 16, 2023, 01:01:27 AM

Was more talking about taunting. Taunting is a joke to have in pro sports. Unsportsmanlike conduct should exist but somewhat more limited.

SP Cook

Promotion and relegation work in single-country European soccer because a European country is a much smaller geographic entity than the USA, and the major cities all have multiple teams.  Networks don't want to be told that Chicago is going to AAA and Boise is taking their place. 

The change I would like to see is in college basketball.  Adopt the same rule as baseball has.  A player can go pro right out of high school, or commit to playing for a college for at least 3 years before again being eligible for the draft. 

mgk920

Quote from: SP Cook on February 16, 2023, 11:21:33 AM
Promotion and relegation work in single-country European soccer because a European country is a much smaller geographic entity than the USA, and the major cities all have multiple teams.  Networks don't want to be told that Chicago is going to AAA and Boise is taking their place. 

The change I would like to see is in college basketball.  Adopt the same rule as baseball has.  A player can go pro right out of high school, or commit to playing for a college for at least 3 years before again being eligible for the draft.
Some of the strongest TV ratings for Super Bowls were with games involving smaller home markets.  A few years ago when it was the packers and the Steelers, the game drew some of the strongest TV numbers ever.

As for the colleges and the NCAA, with the way that things are going in all aspects of the university scene, I'm thinking that the most likely long-term outcome is the complete implosion of inter-collegiate sports.  then what?

Mike

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: texaskdog on February 16, 2023, 01:25:59 AM

Yes, yes, and YES!!
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Poiponen13

NFL could also go to draft lottery.

Poiponen13

Quote from: SP Cook on February 16, 2023, 11:21:33 AM

Minor leagues could have a well-established promotion and relegation. There could be promotion/relegation play-outs between levels and league pyramids with over 10 levels (England's soccer pyramid has 22 levels). Could work in e.g. baseball.

SP Cook

Quote from: mgk920 on February 16, 2023, 01:10:55 PM

As for the colleges and the NCAA, with the way that things are going in all aspects of the university scene, I'm thinking that the most likely long-term outcome is the complete implosion of inter-collegiate sports.  then what?

ESPN, the focus of evil in the sports world, is about 10 years from destroying college sports.  The 100% centric focus on one champion, and everybody else is a POS, will eventually destroy college football, because, at the end of the day, there are really only about 15 programs that will EVER have a chance at the title.  There was a time when going to a bowl game and winning a bowl game was considered a great season at many places.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SP Cook on February 16, 2023, 03:03:48 PM

ESPN, the focus of evil in the sports world, is about 10 years from destroying college sports.  The 100% centric focus on one champion, and everybody else is a POS, will eventually destroy college football, because, at the end of the day, there are really only about 15 programs that will EVER have a chance at the title.  There was a time when going to a bowl game and winning a bowl game was considered a great season at many places.
The money in conference reaglinment is destroying college football. About 0% of people wanted UCLA in the Big 10. That's insane.

mgk920

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 16, 2023, 03:08:01 PM

The money in conference reaglinment is destroying college football. About 0% of people wanted UCLA in the Big 10. That's insane.

UCLA playing a conference game in whatever sport v. Rutgers or Maryland....

<rolleyes>

Mike

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: mgk920 on February 16, 2023, 07:40:36 PM

<rolleyes>

Mike
Then Oregon and Washington will join the Big 10, fucking UNC will join the Big 10, Clemson will join the SEC, the Big 12 will stretch from Boston College to Arizona State, and college football will even more be ruined. I will donate serious money to a political candidate who campaigns on nationalizing the NCAA and ending this nonsense.

mgk920

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 16, 2023, 08:40:23 PM

<rolleyes>

Mike
Then Oregon and Washington will join the Big 10, fucking UNC will join the Big 10, Clemson will join the SEC, the Big 12 will stretch from Boston College to Arizona State, and college football will even more be ruined. I will donate serious money to a political candidate who campaigns on nationalizing the NCAA and ending this nonsense.

I'm expecting the entire university thing, including research and academics, to implode from all of the current madnesses, the only real question is 'When?'.  after that, the remnants will become European style 'private sports clubs', with all of the marks, colors, traditions and even the facilities of the old universities, but in a promotion and relegation system that will fairly quickly absorb the major leagues (especially the NHL and NBA) as their 'first divisions'.

Mike

texaskdog

<rolleyes>

Mike

Not such a big deal for football but what about smaller sports?  West Virginia's non football teams have to travel hundreds of miles for every non conference game.  Football should have it's own conferences and make the rest regional.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.