News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Thread split (formerly "Frequently-mentioned people who aren't here")

Started by hotdogPi, February 13, 2023, 02:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

interstatefan990

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2023, 07:36:52 PM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 14, 2023, 07:26:42 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2023, 07:17:04 PM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 14, 2023, 07:12:10 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on February 14, 2023, 07:00:46 PM
No.

I second that.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2023, 07:04:03 PM
Boltzman Brain theory is a religion now?

Doesn't that only explain how we're here, not why we're here?

Not really, if true it would just prove that the reality around us is false.  It certainly wouldn't provide much insight if any on "how"  any of us are here.

Not the "step-by-step instructions" kind of how, the "this is what happens" kind of how.

If reality as we know it is a complete fabrication because we are brains floating in the void, wouldn't we need to start over determining "how"  with everything?

Let me put it this way: If someone asks you "How do you like your eggs?" you wouldn't respond with an explanation of what about eggs causes you to like them. You'd say "oh, I like them x way". That's what I mean when I say that brain theory attempts to explain how we're here. Like, it unilaterally offers a possible description of our continuous, physical state of being.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 14, 2023, 07:48:34 PM
No.

I second that.

Not really, if true it would just prove that the reality around us is false.  It certainly wouldn't provide much insight if any on "how"  any of us are here.

Not the "step-by-step instructions" kind of how, the "this is what happens" kind of how.

If reality as we know it is a complete fabrication because we are brains floating in the void, wouldn't we need to start over determining "how"  with everything?

Let me put it this way: If someone asks you "How do you like your eggs?" you wouldn't respond with an explanation of what about eggs causes you to like them. You'd say "oh, I like them x way". That's what I mean when I say that brain theory attempts to explain how we're here. Like, it unilaterally offers a possible description of our continuous, physical state of being.

Does it though?  If you've constructed a vast imaginary universe for yourself to occupy and interact with, wouldn't you just convince yourself at a surface conscious level that eggs are real?  What fun is playing in a mental simulated universe if you can't adhere to your own set of rules and structure?

interstatefan990

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2023, 07:58:16 PM
No.

I second that.

Does it though?  If you've constructed a vast imaginary universe for yourself to occupy and interact with, wouldn't you just convince yourself at a surface conscious level that eggs are real?  What fun is playing in a mental simulated universe if you can't adhere to your own set of rules and structure?

That's the thing. Philosophy isn't supposed to be fun, it's supposed to be logical. Also, if that were true, then why are sadness, suffering, and war a thing? Doesn't the self only want what's best for the self?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 14, 2023, 08:41:38 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2023, 07:58:16 PM
No.

I second that.

That's the thing. Philosophy isn't supposed to be fun, it's supposed to be logical. Also, if that were true, then why are sadness, suffering, and war a thing? Doesn't the self only want what's best for the self?

Could all be imaginary facets of a reality that doesn't actually exist.  Essentially everything would be for nothing on a high enough level of consciousness.  I could see a consciousness occupying an empty void attempting to give itself purpose, if even it was just a fabrication.

interstatefan990

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2023, 08:45:30 PM
Could all be imaginary facets of a reality that doesn't actually exist.  Essentially everything would be for nothing on a high enough level of consciousness.  I could see a consciousness occupying an empty void attempting to give itself purpose, if even it was just a fabrication.

Love doesn't exist? Pain dosen't exist? Also, everything already is ultimately for nothing. Earth already is a planet filling a microscopic sliver of an empty void, full of humans with consciousness trying to give themselves purpose (which, in my opinion, true purpose does not and never will exist).

vdeane

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 14, 2023, 08:58:17 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2023, 08:45:30 PM

Love doesn't exist? Pain dosen't exist? Also, everything already is ultimately for nothing. Earth already is a planet filling a microscopic sliver of an empty void, full of humans with consciousness trying to give themselves purpose (which, in my opinion, true purpose does not and never will exist).
This feels appropriate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBkQngrwXqg
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 14, 2023, 06:58:29 PM
We need an aaroads subforum to discuss religion and philosophy

New epistemological frameworks:
Sault Sainte John Madden
Booger Queenism
Jadesouttenism
Soukyism
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 14, 2023, 04:58:17 PM
Why does this thread exist

Because it exists, Roll the Bones.

(Truth be told, one of my least-favorite Rush songs.)[

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 14, 2023, 07:48:34 PMLet me put it this way: If someone asks you "How do you like your eggs?" you wouldn't respond with an explanation of what about eggs causes you to like them. You'd say "oh, I like them x way". That's what I mean when I say that brain theory attempts to explain how we're here. Like, it unilaterally offers a possible description of our continuous, physical state of being.

I don't particularly like eggs, but if I did, I'd like them a lot cheaper than they are now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SectorZ

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2023, 02:48:52 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 14, 2023, 04:58:17 PM
Why does this thread exist

Because it exists, Roll the Bones.

(Truth be told, one of my least-favorite Rush songs.)

I was listening to this on a bike ride today and love it but that rap section aged poorly.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.