News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ford applies for patent on car that can automatically repossess itself

Started by ZLoth, March 06, 2023, 03:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

vdeane

Looks like we're closer to hearing that country song about the guy's pickup truck leaving him.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on March 06, 2023, 08:20:12 PM
Looks like we're closer to hearing that country song about the guy's pickup truck leaving him.

:-D :-D :-D
This may have been the funniest thing I've ever heard you say!

formulanone

I always like it when auto companies innovate the patently unnecessary, rather improving their half-baked attempts at over-bloated and overpriced technology in the first place.

ZLoth

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 06, 2023, 05:00:16 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 06, 2023, 04:58:15 PMNational Grid will shut off your power after just a few days past the due date as long as it's not during the winter months.
Vital utilities should never be shut off for any reason. Those include internet (to a lesser extent, especially in the 21st century though), phone, heating, water, etc. We need to come up with a better method as a society to make sure that this stuff never happens.

As they say, "Welcome to Adulting". If you want the freedoms of adulthood, you also have to take on the responsibilities of adulthood as well. Unfortunately, YouTube is littered with videos of non-consentual towing because some of the parking tenants can't follow the apartment parking rules and repossession videos because the owner can't afford the car and has stopped making payments. Oh, your electricity was disconnected? Just bring your account current, and there is at least a $25 re-connection fee and possibly a truck roll at $100.

Some of the technology isn't new, and has been around for well over a decade. Some of the "buy here, pay here" dealerships, especially those that cater to "poor credit? no credit? not a problem" customers can attach a tracking device to know where the vehicle is and disable the vehicle if you don't pay the bills (some of it with interest rates that are downright confiscatory) just to ensure that your car payment is at the top of your budgetary list. Unfortunately, there are too many "adults" who have trouble confusing outrights "wants" with actual needs, and budget accordingly.

Actions have consequences. Sometimes, those consequences are unplanned, unintended, and unexpected. Also, it's very expensive to be poor.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Hobart

I genuinely don't trust domestic automakers to execute this in a fashion that doesn't screw over innocent people. Plus, what happens when the vehicle is paid off? Is this ability going to be removed from the vehicle, or, say, can they throw a couple of lines in the purchase contract that let them take it away for badmouthing Ford?

Paying off your car is extremely important, that's not the issue I have with this. The issue I have with this is that Ford is able to keep tabs on my car for the rest of its life, and that this automatic repossession can be used for other things, or even have unintended consequences by desired operation!

This really just encourages me to never upgrade to automated cars until as late as possible.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Hobart on March 07, 2023, 12:19:15 AM
I genuinely don't trust domestic automakers to execute this in a fashion that doesn't screw over innocent people. Plus, what happens when the vehicle is paid off? Is this ability going to be removed from the vehicle, or, say, can they throw a couple of lines in the purchase contract that let them take it away for badmouthing Ford?

Paying off your car is extremely important, that's not the issue I have with this. The issue I have with this is that Ford is able to keep tabs on my car for the rest of its life, and that this automatic repossession can be used for other things, or even have unintended consequences by desired operation!

This really just encourages me to never upgrade to automated cars until as late as possible.
I would only trust this if it was heavily regulated by the government.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kalvado

One thing to remember, patents portfolio is a significant factor in company valuation. Companies and employees actually have incentive to file stupid patents just for the sake of it. Because if they don't, competitors will do it.
And for employee who came up with idea it's a few extra bucks to deposit.

kalvado

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 07, 2023, 01:25:07 AM
Quote from: Hobart on March 07, 2023, 12:19:15 AM

.... I am from the government, and I am here to help you....

RoadWarrior56

I "repossessed" my business from Ford almost 20 years ago.  A dead transmission after only 55,000 miles was the last straw.

Scott5114

Quote from: kalvado on March 07, 2023, 06:22:10 AM

Because self-repossessing cars are so helpful to the consumer...?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Because we all know the government is trustworthy.
—Mr. Thwomp

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 07, 2023, 07:23:14 AM
Quote from: kalvado on March 07, 2023, 06:22:10 AM

Because self-repossessing cars are so helpful to the consumer...?
Because if government gets involved more than it is, things would only be worse.
And yes, risk reduction for lender can translate into lower rates for buyer. Before you become sceptical, a simple example - my car loan was 0% interest, but they were a bit picky about credit score. "No credit no problem" rates are never 0%.

hotdogPi

Federal student loans are better than private-run companies. Why is everyone thinking the government would be worse than Ford repossessing cars?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kalvado

Quote from: 1 on March 07, 2023, 08:07:01 AM
Federal student loans are better than private-run companies. Why is everyone thinking the government would be worse than Ford repossessing cars?
Because government may start repossession process by suspending you license and registration, for example. Local toll agency has the power to suspend registration, so you may be in for a few traffic tickets while they are at this.
Also, donotfly list, social rating (yet to be implemented) and some other tools would be available.

SectorZ

A rare case, especially since we don't have any billion+ dollar football stadiums named the "US Dept. of Education Federal Student Loans" stadium.

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on March 07, 2023, 08:26:30 AM

A rare case, especially since we don't have any billion+ dollar football stadiums named the "US Dept. of Education Federal Student Loans" stadium.
Rare?  Even neo-conservative economists admit that public goods should be delivered by the public sector.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wanderer2575

This being Ford, will the car automatically drive itself to the dealership when a recall is issued?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 07, 2023, 07:28:55 AM
Because we all know the government is trustworthy.
I don't trust the government but I trust big corporations even less. Those two are often essentially the same thing.

triplemultiplex

The entire idea of a self-repossesing car is predicated upon the assumption that self driving technology will be physically able and legally allowable on public roads.  And I mean true self-driving, not this Tesla thing where it can sort of drive itself under ideal conditions but always with a human driver ready to take over.

While one can argue we are closing in on the former, I don't think the latter is a guarantee. There's going to be a mish-mash of state and local laws covering the legality of driverless automobiles for a long time, I figure, until the technology hits some kind of critical mass where it becomes politically expedient to do something at the federal level.  The first time a truly autonomous vehicle hits and kills someone, the lawsuits will fly and the process of making driverless cars legal will bog down massively.

Which is quite absurd considering human drivers kill tens of thousands of people every single year, but if one robot car does it, suddenly it's Skynet trying to bump us off!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kalvado

Oh, just to put things in perspective...
A few years back Apple got a patent for a force-fed ads - device would lock until user reviews the ad and answers a few questions on advertised goods or  services correctly....
Never was implemented AFAIK, but extra patent added a bit to company valuation

WillWeaverRVA

That's okay, I'll invent a car that will automatically crush itself into a cube if you park in a no parking zone.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

LilianaUwU

In any case, Ford can't even make cars that work, do they seriously think they can pull this off?
—Mr. Thwomp

SP Cook

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 06, 2023, 05:00:16 PM
[We need to come up with a better method as a society to make sure that this stuff never happens.

We have one

- Get every second of education in a serious marketable field as you possibly can.
- Work hard.
- Pay your bills.
- Pay your debts.
- Don't buy things on credit you cannot afford.
- Lay by a nest egg for a rainy day.

Its called being an adult.

As to the original question, I'm totally down with the idea.  Among the costs of credit are the costs of the deadbeats that has to be spread among all the decent people.  Any system that would lock up a car (self driving cars are science fiction, and there is no need for that, just lock it down and send a signal to HQ to come get it) for non-payment, no insurance, no plates, unpaid tolls, unpaid tickets, and such is great, pushing down the costs that decent people have to pay to cover for other people's irresponsible behaviors.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.