News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ranking the months: sports edition

Started by Roadgeekteen, March 09, 2023, 01:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Simple: Rank the months based on sports. What months give you the most sports entertainment?

For me:

Janurary
March
December
May
April
November
October
June
February
September
August
July

I'll post detailed explanations later, but first I want you to guess what my favorite and least favorite sports are. Also post your own list obviously.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

October - Heart of NFL and college football seasons and MLB playoffs
November - football and NASCAR championship
January - NFL playoffs and college national championship
May - Indy 500, Kentucky Derby and Champions League Final
December - football
September - football
March - NCAA tournament
February - Super Bowl and Daytona 500
April - Final Four and Masters
July - Tour de France and British Open Golf
June - US Open golf and NBA/NHL Finals
August - Preseason football
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

March - March Madness is the best sporting event of the year. EPL ongoing.
April - Final Four and NBA/NHL playoffs start. EPL ongoing.
May - NBA/NHL playoffs continue. EPL finishes and Champions League too.
September - NFL starts, EPL ongoing.
January - NFL playoffs, EPL ongoing.
December - NFL regular season wind down, EPL ongoing.
November - NFL, EPL ongoing.
October - NFL, EPL ongoing.
June - NBA/NHL finals.
August - EPL begins.
February - Super Bowl, EPL ongoing.
July - Only baseball. Blech.

As to Roadgeekteen's favorite - NFL, least favorite - MLB?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 09, 2023, 02:25:18 PM
March
April
May
September
January
December
November
October
August
February
June
July

As to Roadgeekteen's favorite - NFL, least favorite - MLB?
Yes, I don't hate baseball but I only really enjoy watching the playoffs. Way too many regular season games and in the summer it's literally the only thing on.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

September - best weather, NFL/CFB starts, MLB playoff races
October/November - same as September, add NBA/NHL, but crappier weather
January - playoff NFL, but miss the thrill of Sunday afternoon chaos
February - not much going after the Super Bowl
August - preseason football fills some boring afternoons
June/July - only MLB keeps my interest, but the weather is nice anyway
March/April - March Madness, new MLB season, but crappy weather
May - the shiny new toy of a new MLB season has worn off into the 162-game grind and I'm past tired of NHL/NBA
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 09, 2023, 03:33:11 PM
May - the shiny new toy of a new MLB season has worn off into the 162-game grind and I'm past tired of NHL/NBA
The thing about May is that's playoffs for NBA/NHL. And in almost every sport IMO, the playoffs are better than the regular season.

thspfc

Really the only yearly events that move the needle for me are the NFL and March Madness. I used to watch college football just as closely as NFL, but I've recently drifted away from it for a multitude of reasons (all of them resulting from the unchecked and uncontrolled dominance that money has on the sport). Maybe the 12-team Playoff will restore some of CFB's appeal, but I worry that it will also make bowl games completely obsolete and therefore no longer an accomplishment.

The NBA playoffs are alright, but it's hard for me to get excited for the first 6 games of a best-of-7 series. I understand why they do it like that, but it's not the same viewing experience as the NFL and college basketball postseasons.

1. December - I love the NFL playoff chase
2. November
3. October
4. September (sensing a pattern?)
5. March - March Madness
6. January - NFL end of the regular season and playoffs
7. February - Super Bowl
8. May - NFL schedule release, NBA playoffs, end of European soccer leagues
9. April - NFL Draft, NBA playoffs
10. August - counting down to football
11. June - World Cup every 4 years, other soccer tournaments
12. July - ???

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thspfc on March 09, 2023, 04:20:55 PM
Really the only yearly events that move the needle for me are the NFL and March Madness. I used to watch college football just as closely as NFL, but I've recently drifted away from it for a multitude of reasons (all of them resulting from the unchecked and uncontrolled dominance that money has on the sport). Maybe the 12-team Playoff will restore some of CFB's appeal, but I worry that it will also make bowl games completely obsolete and therefore no longer an accomplishment.

The NBA playoffs are alright, but it's hard for me to get excited for the first 6 games of a best-of-7 series. I understand why they do it like that, but it's not the same viewing experience as the NFL and college basketball postseasons.

2. November
3. October
5. March - March Madness
7. February - Super Bowl
12. July - ???
Are you forgetting that the NBA finals is in June, not May? Also it seems like July is getting a lot of hate in this thread- just having mid season baseball on isn't super interesting, as the other 3 major sports are in offseason. Even college baseball is over in June. I would say that there is a vaccum for more sports in July but people like to go out and do things in the summer anyway so maybe not.

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 09, 2023, 04:23:53 PM
Quote from: thspfc on March 09, 2023, 04:20:55 PM

2. November
3. October
5. March - March Madness
7. February - Super Bowl
12. July - ???
Are you forgetting that the NBA finals is in June, not May?
No, but the finals is not the best part of the playoffs. The first two rounds are best. Plus, the other events I mentioned put May and April well above June.

Big John

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 09, 2023, 03:33:11 PM
Where would December fall?

webny99

Also it seems like July is getting a lot of hate in this thread- just having mid season baseball on isn't super interesting, as the other 3 major sports are in offseason. Even college baseball is over in June. I would say that there is a vaccum for more sports in July but people like to go out and do things in the summer anyway so maybe not.

Well, it's about to get even more, because I was just about to mention that July is the deadest month on the sports calendar, and August is only slightly better. Those are fine months to not have a lot going on in the sports world because school is out, there's more to do in the evenings, and many people are traveling or vacationing.

Hunty2022

This is my first list:

1 - August
2 - November
3 - March
4 - February
5 - October
6 - July
7 - June
8 - December
9 - September
10 - January
11 - April
12 - May
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

WillWeaverRVA

This is actually a pretty great thread idea. Here's my list. The top 7 or so are actually pretty close to one another, September through April is probably when I'm following sports most.

1) March - college basketball, start of IndyCar and Formula 1

2) November - college basketball, end of NASCAR season

3) February - college basketball, start of NASCAR season (Daytona 500)

4) April - end of college basketball season, start of MLB season (going to try to start following that more this year)

5) September - start of NFL regular season

6) October - start of NBA regular season

7) December - college basketball non-conference schedules winding down, NFL playoff races heat up

8) June - end of college baseball season

9) January - at least there's college basketball and NBA, NFL playoffs as well

10) August - don't really care much about NFL preseason, not much else going on

11) May - Indy 500 is the only thing that keeps this from being last

12) July - not really much excitement here and I don't really care about the MLB all-star game
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

formulanone

I'm surprised September/October isn't at or near the top of everyone's list: nearly every major American sporting league except for college basketball/baseball is going on whether pre-season or ongoing seasons at that time.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on March 09, 2023, 07:11:57 PM
Also it seems like July is getting a lot of hate in this thread- just having mid season baseball on isn't super interesting, as the other 3 major sports are in offseason. Even college baseball is over in June. I would say that there is a vaccum for more sports in July but people like to go out and do things in the summer anyway so maybe not.

Well, it's about to get even more, because I was just about to mention that July is the deadest month on the sports calendar, and August is only slightly better. Those are fine months to not have a lot going on in the sports world because school is out, there's more to do in the evenings, and many people are traveling or vacationing.

July is a much bigger month if you follow sports that are popular in Europe. Arguably the two biggest events on the European calendar are the (British) Open golf championship and the Tour de France cycling are both in July. Plus you have the heart of the Formula 1 schedule, and in some years you have the latter half of a major soccer tournament.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SectorZ

For me:

May
April
October
September
August
June
July
March
November
December
February
January

I'm not a sports nut anymore. I make my own sport. That's how I rank them for best cycling, and that's a sport for me.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: formulanone on March 10, 2023, 09:01:01 AM
I'm surprised September/October isn't at or near the top of everyone's list: nearly every major American sporting league except for college basketball/baseball is going on whether pre-season or ongoing seasons at that time.
For me at least playoffs are my favorite part of sports. September has none and October has just MLB. And I don't really care about very early season NBA/NHL.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: formulanone on March 10, 2023, 09:01:01 AM

I have them 4th and 8th respectively. September 4th because the NFL is new at that point and my interest is as high as it will be all year. October is 8th because then the NFL has been going on for a while and I'll care a little bit less if I watch games on Sundays. Premier League is equally interesting to me in both months. I don't care at all about baseball (which is sad since I used to love it). Early season NBA and NHL aren't too exciting, and I only really care about later in the season and in the playoffs.

Takumi

Favorite sports are baseball and motorsports.

April (MLB opening day, motorsports in full swing)
October (World Series)
March (most motorsports get underway, MLB spring training in full swing, and World Baseball Classic this year)
May (Indy!)
June
August (IMSA at VIR)
July
September
November (usually most motorsports championships are decided, though F1 in 2021 went all the way to December)
February
January (only the 24 Hours of Daytona keeps this from last)
December
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

ilpt4u

September
January
February
December
March
November
April
October
May
June
August
July

Football for the 1st four and September is #1 because that 2nd Sunday in September is a milestone, every year! March Madness for 5. Back to Football for 6. Start of baseball for 7, in addition to the Masters and the March Madness Final Four/Title Game. 8 is October, kinda in the lull of Football - the shiny has worn off but the separation between the Haves and Have Nots is not yet clear. May for the Ky Derby, Monaco, and Indy 500. June for the NBA Finals, and if the same horse won the Derby and the Preakness, the opportunity for Triple Crown Glory at the Belmont. August to get back into Football. July because it is MLB All Star Break aka MLB takes a week off, and not a lot else going on

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.