News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best lane drop configuration?

Started by webny99, March 09, 2023, 06:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When a freeway loses a through lane in the immediate vicinity of an interchange, how should it be configured?

Right lane becomes an exit only lane
34 (70.8%)
Left lane ends immediately after the exit
0 (0%)
Left lane ends beyond the interchange on-ramp
4 (8.3%)
Right lane ends immediatey after the exit
8 (16.7%)
Right lane ends beyond the interchange on-ramp
1 (2.1%)
Other (please explain in reply)
1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

ran4sh

Right lane becomes exit only

2nd-from-right lane becomes option lane for exit or thru. This means that exiting traffic does not need to move right, in order to avoid conflict with thru traffic moving left.

3rd-from-right lane, and any lane to its left, continues thru.

Note that I don't say "left lane" because these are all equally applicable to lane reductions of 3 to 2, or 4 to 3, or 5 to 4, or 6 to 5, or 7 to 6.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

fillup420

Quote from: vdeane on March 16, 2023, 12:37:53 PM
I can think of a scenario where using an exit only lane would be undesirable: when there's plans to continue the widening further, since this would complicate the extension.

Funny you say that. Near where I live, I-40 drops from three to two lanes westbound at US 15/501. Originally, the left lane ended just beyond the interchange. It was then reconfigured to become Right Lane Exit Only to US 15/501, this was done due to frequent backups during peak times. In my opinion, traffic seems to flow better with the new configuration. But none of this will matter soon because of the widening project to extend the third lane all the way to the JCT with I-85.

sprjus4

^ I suppose it depends on the area on a case-by-case basis. If a decent amount of traffic is exiting, then it's a good approach. If it's a rural exit with little traffic... bad idea.

webny99

Regarding the NC example, I'd be curious if the exit only lane moves a lot faster than the other lanes when it's backed up, and if so, does traffic cutting from the exit only lane to the through lane at the last second cause problems? If that was part of my commute, I would sure be tempted to stay in the exit only lane as long as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.