News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Greensboro Urban Loop

Started by Henry, February 07, 2011, 03:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ran4sh

A digital sign is considered a valid temporary sign, so i don't see the problem tbh.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

sprjus4

Considering some the digital signs being used on the I-64 widening project near I-464 in Chesapeake, VA, and how confusing they are to those not familiar with the area... I would not complain too much.

Alex

Quote from: fillup420 on February 12, 2023, 10:16:10 AM
I drove the entire 840 last night, and noticed that some advance exit signs are not installed yet. They have digital signs in place in the meantime. Interesting that it was permitted to open without the signage being complete.

They did the same thing when they opened the last section of Interstate 140.

AlmaPinnix

Quote from: fillup420 on February 12, 2023, 10:16:10 AM
I drove the entire 840 last night, and noticed that some advance exit signs are not installed yet. They have digital signs in place in the meantime. Interesting that it was permitted to open without the signage being complete.

They wanted to open the last leg of the loop so it could be utilized sooner. The signage, lighting and other finishing touches are not due until June or so.

AlmaPinnix

Still a ways to go, but they have made considerable progress to the finishing touches for the N. Elm St. intersection.

bob7374

I have posted new photos taken approaching and along I-840 West showing lack of progress of updating signage along the earlier sections of the Loop and signage along the newest section to open:

on my NC New and Future Interstates Greensboro Loop page: https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/futloop.html#i840photos

The Ghostbuster

No room for future Interstate 785 shields on the second signs? I guess it won't extend north of the GUL anytime soon.

sprjus4

^ Considering it won't be upgraded to interstate standards for another decade, your assumption is correct.

Evan_Th

I talked with my parents in North Carolina recently, and they had a trip surprisingly on-point for this thread:  They printed out directions at home for a road trip involving taking I-40 west to I-840 north.  However, they didn't see any signs for I-840 and weren't using any smartphone apps, so they missed their exit and (when they realized it, around downtown Greensboro) had to reroute using city streets!

So, bob7374, you're absolutely right that it's a bad thing they aren't updating signage!

bob7374

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 05, 2023, 11:20:50 AM
^ Considering it won't be upgraded to interstate standards for another decade, your assumption is correct.
Here's the plan for the sign when I-785 is completed to VA:

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Evan_Th on April 05, 2023, 01:59:00 PM
I talked with my parents in North Carolina recently, and they had a trip surprisingly on-point for this thread:  They printed out directions at home for a road trip involving taking I-40 west to I-840 north.  However, they didn't see any signs for I-840 and weren't using any smartphone apps, so they missed their exit and (when they realized it, around downtown Greensboro) had to reroute using city streets!

So, bob7374, you're absolutely right that it's a bad thing they aren't updating signage!

After all of this time, I finally made it to Sears in Greensboro today.  It was probably my last Roadgeek trip, so not only did I take in I-840 but I also took the opportunity to clinch I-73 again (over and over and over and over).  It was strange to return by making the entire trip around the Greensboro Urban Loop.

Sorry, I digress.  I was surprised to see that I-840 is not posted along the concurrency with I-73.  It was signed on all the BGSs that I saw, including those on Friendly Avenue.  If NCDOT wasn't going to sign the route anytime soon, they could have saves a ton of money by asking AASHTO to renumber the route to an even I-x73.

Strider

Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 06, 2023, 07:58:40 PM

After all of this time, I finally made it to Sears in Greensboro today.  It was probably my last Roadgeek trip, so not only did I take in I-840 but I also took the opportunity to clinch I-73 again (over and over and over and over).  It was strange to return by making the entire trip around the Greensboro Urban Loop.

Sorry, I digress.  I was surprised to see that I-840 is not posted along the concurrency with I-73.  It was signed on all the BGSs that I saw, including those on Friendly Avenue.  If NCDOT wasn't going to sign the route anytime soon, they could have saves a ton of money by asking AASHTO to renumber the route to an even I-x73.

What are you talking about? I-840 is already signed along with I-73 between I-40 and I-73 on the western side. You may have been not paying attention.

sprjus4

It is posted in both directions along the concurrency.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KQQFooZxnDkKHA1d7?g_st=ic

Dirt Roads

<snipped>
I was surprised to see that I-840 is not posted along the concurrency with I-73.  It was signed on all the BGSs that I saw, including those on Friendly Avenue.  If NCDOT wasn't going to sign the route anytime soon, they could have saves a ton of money by asking AASHTO to renumber the route to an even I-x73.

Quote from: Strider on May 06, 2023, 09:04:21 PM
What are you talking about? I-840 is already signed along with I-73 between I-40 and I-73 on the western side. You may have been not paying attention.

No trailblazer signage for I-840 going counterclockwise along I-73 (westbound); not quite sure about eastbound.  I did see several standalone traiblazers for I-73.  But see the response below.

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 06, 2023, 09:33:03 PM

Well, it is obvious that I-840/I-73 were posted counterclockwise along the Greensboro Urban Loop as of January 2023, so my original comment is indeed not correct.  But this sign wasn't there yesterday, and a standlone I-73 trailblazer was in its place (either here or closeby).  There was also one other standalone I-73 posted somewhere between Friendly Avenue and I-40. 

I am curious as to why this sign was missing.  It doesn't look like an easy one to knock over.

dfilpus

Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 07, 2023, 03:28:09 PM
<snipped>
I was surprised to see that I-840 is not posted along the concurrency with I-73.  It was signed on all the BGSs that I saw, including those on Friendly Avenue.  If NCDOT wasn't going to sign the route anytime soon, they could have saves a ton of money by asking AASHTO to renumber the route to an even I-x73.

Quote from: Strider on May 06, 2023, 09:04:21 PM

No trailblazer signage for I-840 going counterclockwise along I-73 (westbound); not quite sure about eastbound.  I did see several standalone traiblazers for I-73.  But see the response below.

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 06, 2023, 09:33:03 PM

Well, it is obvious that I-840/I-73 were posted counterclockwise along the Greensboro Urban Loop as of January 2023, so my original comment is indeed not correct.  But this sign wasn't there yesterday, and a standlone I-73 trailblazer was in its place (either here or closeby).  There was also one other standalone I-73 posted somewhere between Friendly Avenue and I-40. 

I am curious as to why this sign was missing.  It doesn't look like an easy one to knock over.
As of this morning, May 10 2023, that I 73/I 840 is still there. It is the only trailblazer between I 73 and I 40. I was reclinching I 840 counter-clockwise and the sign is still  there just past the Bailinger Bridge.

AlmaPinnix

I was traversing I-840 from Battleground Ave to Yanceyville St and noticed new metal half gantry east bound and west bound in between Elm and Yanceyville. New signage coming soon.

Strider

Yeah, someone drove that section of I-840 and there are new metal gantry setting up along I-840 between N. Elm and US 29. The signage is coming up soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9svpMMNPReI

AlmaPinnix

2 days until the end of June, and there is still quite a bit of signage and line painting that still needs to be done. Did they extend the deadline?

Has anyone else noticed the lack of a good sign to get on 840 West going towards Winston Salem from northbound hwy-29? I feel like it can be very confusing for motorists that are not familiar with the area.

Here is the current sign..
I think they should add an 840 shield on the Exit 135-B sign. I understand that there is space on the A sign for a 840 East shield, but why not designation for West on B?

rlb2024

I made my first trip to Greensboro in 30 years a couple of weeks ago and drove part of I-73 and I-840 (not from a route-clinching standpoint, it was the quickest way from Charlotte to the Guilford Courthouse battlefield).  I noticed that the exit numbers on I-73 from I-40 around to where I-73 and I-840 separate are for I-73, but at the separation the Exit 107 numbering tab follows I-73/Bryan Boulevard rather than I-840.  The next exit off I-840 was a single-digit number (Exit 6 if I remember right but don't quote me).

Seems to me that the Exit 107 tab should have been for I-840, even though three lanes go straight onto 840 and I-73 is the offramp to the right.

Strider

Quote from: AlmaPinnix on June 28, 2023, 03:10:32 PM
2 days until the end of June, and there is still quite a bit of signage and line painting that still needs to be done. Did they extend the deadline?

Has anyone else noticed the lack of a good sign to get on 840 West going towards Winston Salem from northbound hwy-29? I feel like it can be very confusing for motorists that are not familiar with the area.

Here is the current sign..
I think they should add an 840 shield on the Exit 135-B sign. I understand that there is space on the A sign for a 840 East shield, but why not designation for West on B?

There are ground mounted electric viable message that are there to lead traffic to the proper exit while new signage is in works. Blame the weather for the delay as we had a lot of rain on and off for the past two weeks.

bob7374

The official completion date for the project is July 21, as of 2 weeks ago they were 92.8% done. Something has to start soon or the company risks late fines. Has anyone noticed whether signs have gone up on the gantries put up a couple months ago now on the new section of the Loop?

Strider

Quote from: bob7374 on June 29, 2023, 07:20:25 PM
The official completion date for the project is July 21, as of 2 weeks ago they were 92.8% done. Something has to start soon or the company risks late fines. Has anyone noticed whether signs have gone up on the gantries put up a couple months ago now on the new section of the Loop?

I can check it out tomorrow since I live right next to I-840. I will let you know if they finally start something or not... (I highly doubt it since you mentioned the completion date for the project is July 21...) They did in fact finally finished the line painting the last time I was on I-840.

Strider

I can confirm that they are working on putting up the new signages. There are already signages up for Yanceyville Rd (Exit 11) and US 29 (exit 14A-B) when you go east on I-840 towards US 29 (The N. Elm St interchange is fully signed and complete) however, the westbound (going west on I-840) signage are not up yet. I did in fact saw three trucks that carry new signages that will be put on I-840, US 29 and I-40. I will take pictures when everything is put up.

bob7374

Quote from: Strider on July 06, 2023, 04:09:10 PM
I can confirm that they are working on putting up the new signages. There are already signages up for Yanceyville Rd (Exit 11) and US 29 (exit 14A-B) when you go east on I-840 towards US 29 (The N. Elm St interchange is fully signed and complete) however, the westbound (going west on I-840) signage are not up yet. I did in fact saw three trucks that carry new signages that will be put on I-840, US 29 and I-40. I will take pictures when everything is put up.
I have added photos that Strider has taken of the new signs both east and westbound between North Elm Street and US 29 to my Greensboro Loop page:
https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/futloop.html#i840photos

fillup420

The new 785/840 signs were going up today between US 70 and I-40/85. Nice looking shields on green background, instead of just pole-mounted shields.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.