News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-73 updates?

Started by Buummu, April 27, 2011, 12:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buummu

Quote from: SP Cook on May 01, 2011, 02:07:15 PM
No that is not the point at all.  States, not the federal government, build roads.  All the federal government did was make SOME (not enough) money available for 73 and 74.  WV, OH, and MI, and probably VA are never going to take them up on it.  All US 52 will be in WV is a corridor, with at grade intersections and stop lights, IF it is ever built at all. 

Both NC and SC is already planning and building them.. which means it is going to be built.. which brings the point of "it is going to be built regardless of where."

NE2

Quote from: Buummu on May 01, 2011, 01:26:51 PM
the point is.. I-73 is going to be built, no matter where it is... because it is a part of Congress designed interstates.
*yawn*
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18.msg99215#msg99215
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

Quotethe point is.. I-73 is going to be built, no matter where it is... because it is a part of Congress designed interstates.

It's not going to be built if it can't get funding.  And last I checked, the House GOP was proposing CUTTING Federal highway spending over the next 6 years.

Buummu

Quote from: froggie on May 06, 2011, 08:01:38 AM
Quotethe point is.. I-73 is going to be built, no matter where it is... because it is a part of Congress designed interstates.

It's not going to be built if it can't get funding.  And last I checked, the House GOP was proposing CUTTING Federal highway spending over the next 6 years.

Yeah i heard about that.. that probably mean................Toll roads.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Buummu on May 06, 2011, 12:42:42 PM

No, toll roads are getting sold off to private firms. So, we're going back to the 1800s and private toll roads.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Henry

Quote from: Buummu on April 29, 2011, 03:42:19 PM
I agree.. 73 isnt bad... but 74? why would they want to try to extend 74 all the way to Myrtle Beach?
Considering all other numbers between 70 and 79 had already been used up at the time, I have no problem with I-73, but I-74 is another story. They really need to work out a route from Cincinnati to Mt. Airy, and I don't care if it takes 100 years to get it done. Or else, it's a colossal blunder this side of I-99!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

vdeane

Much worse than I-99.  At least I-99 is in an area where all the numbers in the grid have been used (ie: it has an excuse).  There are more than enough proper numbers for the I-74 corridor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Buummu

Quote from: Adam Smith on May 06, 2011, 03:22:01 PM

No, toll roads are getting sold off to private firms. So, we're going back to the 1800s and private toll roads.

Why is that?

hbelkins

Forgive me for being cynical, but I don't see the need for an I-73 in Ohio, or an I-74 extension southeast of Cincinnati.

For the former, US 23 works just fine; for the latter, the AA Highway (KY 9) is perfectly functional.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Grzrd

Quote from: SP Cook on May 01, 2011, 07:51:37 AM
In West Virginia ... It is important to divide the project into two to understand why it will never be built.  The northern half, the Tolsia Highway from Kenova to Williamson is the best two lane road in the state, built on an entirely new path in the 1970s.  The area is developable, with, by WV standards, some flatish land and a good population.   The other half, from Williamson to Bluefield, the King Coal Highway, passes through some of the economic basketcase of southern Mingo, Wyoming and McDowell counties.  Through areas where the terrain is so rugged that there simply is nothing that can be build ...

Despite the long odds, some West Virginia I-73 advocates recently worked the halls of Congress:

http://bdtonline.com/local/x1440315411/Highway-supporters-rally-for-federal-funding

Highway supporters from six-different states rallied Thursday in Washington in support of the future Interstate 73/74/75 corridor, but walked away from the two-day gathering without a federal funding commitment from lawmakers.
"We do this national road rally once a year just to continue to stimulate interest in the highway,"  Tom Hall, a member of the local southern West Virginia King Coal Highway delegation in Mercer County, said of the two-day I-73/74/75 Road Rally. "We are trying to keep this in the awareness and in the top of the minds of our members of Congress ... It's a project that affects six states."
The King Coal Highway is the local West Virginia corridor of the future I-73/74/75. It is proposed to extend some 95 miles through Mingo, Wayne, Wyoming, McDowell and Mercer counties with the Tolsia segment from Williamson to Huntington extending another 55 miles.
Local King Coal Highway supporters from Mercer County attending the rally include Hall, Christine West, Marc Meachum, Julie Ball and King Coal Highway Executive Director Mike Mitchem.
Despite a large showing of support Wednesday and Thursday, lawmakers were noncommittal on funding for the I-73/74/75 corridor.
"We didn't get any promises of any funding,"  Hall said. "A lot of that is up in the air. But we really were not expecting any (promises of funding) on these trips. The thrust of these road rallies is to make our congressional members aware of our need, and how important this road can be to our area ... They were cautiously optimistic although they had a good deal of concern about balancing the budget."
West said Thursday's gathering was another way for the local King Coal Highway supporters in Mercer County to show their support for the future four-lane corridor.
Hall said officials still need about $70 million in federal funding to complete a usable segment of the King Coal Highway corridor in Mercer County that would connect with the existing John Nash Boulevard, the new twin interstate bridges above Stoney Ridge and Route 123 near the Mercer County Airport.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Buummu on May 06, 2011, 09:17:14 PM
Quote from: Adam Smith on May 06, 2011, 03:22:01 PM

Why is that?

State governments are broke. Ohio has a 8 billion dollar deficit, and unlike the feds, Ohio (and many if not all states) have to produce a balanced budget. So revenue has to be generated and or costs reduced. Ohio's Dept. of Transportation has to slash their budget (they can't build I-73) and the Ohio Turnpike is likely to be sold to private investors. That means no government entity will be able to build I-73 now, or in the considerable future.

There have been links produced in this thread to papers written about I-73 in Ohio and elsewhere. If you (Buummu) have not read those papers, then do so. If you have done so, read them again. 

Buummu

I am not from Ohio..... so i dont know anything about what's going on out there.. besides a lot of websites have not updated.. hence why i asked for updates back at the first post.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Buummu on May 06, 2011, 11:43:38 PM
I am not from Ohio..... so i dont know anything about what's going on out there.. besides a lot of websites have not updated.. hence why i asked for updates back at the first post.
And like I stated when you first asked several weeks ago, nothing has happened that has necessitated updating websites concerning I-73 north of Virginia.

Buummu

Quote from: Adam Smith on May 07, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
And like I stated when you first asked several weeks ago, nothing has happened that has necessitated updating websites concerning I-73 north of Virginia.

You, for one has answered my question, and I could care less. Probably others will chime in better than you do.

Alps

Quote from: Buummu on May 07, 2011, 01:34:44 AM
Quote from: Adam Smith on May 07, 2011, 12:09:07 AM

You, for one has answered my question, and I could care less. Probably others will chime in better than you do.
If you could care less, it means that you care. Which is good, because he has answered your question. No one else is going to chime in because there are no more answers. What makes you think you're entitled to information that doesn't exist?

SP Cook

Quote from: Grzrd on May 06, 2011, 10:10:07 PM
Hall said officials still need about $70 million in federal funding to complete a usable segment of the King Coal Highway corridor in Mercer County that would connect with the existing John Nash Boulevard, the new twin interstate bridges above Stoney Ridge and Route 123 near the Mercer County Airport."

And that is is distance of about 3 miles, and among the most flat three miles of the KCH route.  That would leave them 128 miles short of Kenova.

hbelkins

"Highway supporters from six-different states rallied Thursday in Washington in support of the future Interstate 73/74/75 corridor, but walked away from the two-day gathering without a federal funding commitment from lawmakers.

How did I-75 get worked into that mix?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2011, 12:06:19 AM
"Highway supporters from six-different states rallied Thursday in Washington in support of the future Interstate 73/74/75 corridor, but walked away from the two-day gathering without a federal funding commitment from lawmakers.

Michigan/NW Ohio

bulldog1979

The official I-73 corridor runs all the way up to Sault Ste. Marie, MI. I believe that the branch to Detroit is still included in the official definition as well, but that's like I-94 between Chicago and Port Huron being included in the corridor that defines I-69... it's a funding trick but not a requirement to install the signs anywhere.
quoted text goes AT THE END

Grzrd

Quote from: bulldog1979 on May 10, 2011, 02:31:24 AM
The official I-73 corridor runs all the way up to Sault Ste. Marie, MI. I believe that the branch to Detroit is still included in the official definition as well, but that's like I-94 between Chicago and Port Huron being included in the corridor that defines I-69... it's a funding trick but not a requirement to install the signs anywhere.
quoted text goes AT THE END
Here's a link to South Carolina news report covering the I-73/74/75 Association meeting: http://www2.scnow.com/news/2011/may/05/economist-estimates-economic-impact-i-73-could-rea-ar-1807867/

The report includes footage of speakers with backdrops of I-73.  At about the 38 second mark, a red line representing I-73 is in the backdrop.  In Michigan, it looks like I-73 terminates at an interchange with I-75, which supports the view that the inclusion of I-75 into the Association is basically a funding trick.

Also, at about 1:14 to 1:21 of the video, a more detailed view of their suggested corridor than the one on their website is shown in the backdrop.

Grzrd

Quote from: SP Cook on May 01, 2011, 07:51:37 AM
...the Tolsia Highway from Kenova to Williamson is the best two lane road in the state, built on an entirely new path in the 1970s

Tolsia Highway will soon be getting a new four-lane bridge.  I mentioned it in this thread because newspaper article references Tolsia Highway as part of the I-73/74 corridor:

http://www.dailymail.com/Business/201106021075

The long-planned Prichard Intermodal terminal in Wayne County received a boost with the announcement that the state has awarded a $6.5 million contract for construction of a bridge that will improve truck access to the site ... Acting Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin and state Transportation Secretary Paul Mattox announced the Division of Highways awarded a contract to Wayne Concrete Co. Inc. for construction of a bridge to replace the Gragston Creek Bridge on U.S. Route 52, about four miles north of the intermodal terminal site. The new bridge will be a part of the future four-lane Tolsia Highway ... The Prichard terminal would be accessible from the Tolsia Highway Corridor, which is part of the Interstate 73/74 north-south corridor ... "Proximity to the corridor will facilitate interstate truck movement to and from the Prichard site," Tomblin's office noted ...

NE2

I've never been able to figure out where the Tolsia name comes from. The earliest references I can find are from 1969, talking about the then-proposed realignment: http://books.google.com/books?id=oUIlMN-RieUC&q=tolsia
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SP Cook

Tolsia has always been the name of southwestern Wayne County.  There is a Tolsia Creek.  I assume it is some Indian word, who knows?  The consolidated HS (openned about 88 or so) for southern Wayne is Tolsia.

Short history.  Southwestern WVians always felt short changed (and rightly so, if you look at historical maps) by the various road bonds passed from the 40s to the 60s, and started voting against them.  So the 72 road bond specifically included a set $ amount for US 52, the only time such a thing was done.  It passed, as did the federal appropriation referenced in your post, and work began.  In the north, what is now WV 152 was US 52, and the current route of US 52 was County 9, more or less a dirt road.  The new road followed 9 and the state made a huge mistake in not buying ROW for the other 2 lanes at that time, when the area was undeveloped and poor.  Now it is buying those two lanes at a much higher price.

The new (well new in 1975) US 52 is among the best 2 lane roads in the state, and the goal was to continue south all the way to Bluefield with such a road.  Unfortunatly then came the Stagflation of 1977-81 and the colapse of the coal industry, and south of the JCT between 52 and 152, lesser improvements were done.  The climbs up Horsepen and Johnnycake mountiains were imporoved and some curves were eliminated with some blasting, but it remains true that a person in Kenova, wishing to go to Bluefiled, would make far better time taking I-64 and 77. 

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on June 07, 2011, 07:15:29 AM
The new (well new in 1975) US 52 is among the best 2 lane roads in the state, and the goal was to continue south all the way to Bluefield with such a road.  Unfortunatly then came the Stagflation of 1977-81 and the colapse of the coal industry, and south of the JCT between 52 and 152, lesser improvements were done.  The climbs up Horsepen and Johnnycake mountiains were imporoved and some curves were eliminated with some blasting, but it remains true that a person in Kenova, wishing to go to Bluefiled, would make far better time taking I-64 and 77. 

Except for the pavement condition, I would agree with the assessment that it's one of the best two-lane roads in the state. Last year I drove from Huntington to Paintsville by way of US 52 and crossed the Big Sandy at Fort Gay, and found the surface of US 52 badly in need of a fresh coat of blacktop.

A college friend of mine who lived in the Belfry-South Williamson area found it easier to get from there to Morehead by crossing into WV, taking US 52 north to Fort Gay, then crossing into Kentucky and following US 23 north to I-64.

ftballfan

Realistically, the only way I-73 ever gets assigned north of Roanoke is if it gets appended on the existing US-23 freeway between Flint and Toledo as both Michigan and Ohio are running out of even I-x75s (only I-875 available in either state).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.