News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

People on Reddit who think they know motor vehicle statues better than I do.

Started by RobbieL2415, July 10, 2019, 04:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Rant incoming.

Thiw bothers me to no end. The law is very clear in CT: if you are moving with the speed of traffic AND there's three or more lanes through you DO NOT need to keep right except for passing. Like, I'm sorry if that offends you but it's not illegal here. They have been in Hartford to get this law changed but I hope they don't becsuse it defeats the purpose of having multiple through lanes.

Anyone else encounter something similar?

thspfc

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 10, 2019, 04:09:39 PM
I'm sorry if that offends you but it's not illegal here.

Maybe not illegal.  But wouldn't it be better to be gracious to your fellow drivers?

RobbieL2415

Quote from: GaryV on July 10, 2019, 04:53:56 PM
I'm sorry if that offends you but it's not illegal here.

Maybe not illegal.  But wouldn't it be better to be gracious to your fellow drivers?
Of course, at the proper time. I don't think people should be expected to absolutely keep right on multi-line highways if they can keep up with the flow of traffic.

PHLBOS

From the thread title (bold added): motor vehicle statues

:-D

Somebody had to do it.

You obviously meant statutes.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

J N Winkler

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

I've never once been on Reddit but it sounds terrible from what the gist I gather listening to others talk about it.  It feels like sometimes the internet just suddenly ended for me circa 1997 with Prodigy Online and didn't come back until four years ago. 

jeffandnicole

Rant incoming.

Thiw bothers me to no end. The law is very clear in CT: if you are moving with the speed of traffic AND there's three or more lanes through you DO NOT need to keep right except for passing. Like, I'm sorry if that offends you but it's not illegal here. They have been in Hartford to get this law changed but I hope they don't becsuse it defeats the purpose of having multiple through lanes.

The purpose of multiple thru lanes is to keep traffic moving.  In order to keep traffic moving, it helps to abide by common courtesy.

Being that you had to write a thread based on your interactions with others, you are clearly just trying to find people to agree with your position of "Fuck You All. I'm going to do what I feel like doing".

J N Winkler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 11, 2019, 03:05:27 PMI've never once been on Reddit but it sounds terrible from what the gist I gather listening to others talk about it.  It feels like sometimes the internet just suddenly ended for me circa 1997 with Prodigy Online and didn't come back until four years ago.

I have a Reddit account (u/Argatlam) and occasionally consult subreddits when I need to keep a pulse on local issues (r/wichita in my case).  There have been long and interesting discussions on Reddit on traffic-related issues, such as rationales for reversing into parking spaces.  The main problem with Reddit is that barriers to entry are low, content moderation is (typically) minimal, and in most subreddits there is little expectation that participants will meet in real life or otherwise develop relationships based on reciprocity, so the door stands open to a lot of toxicity.  Partly for these reasons, Reddit has been described as the successor to unmoderated Usenet.

I have had little to do with Reddit in recent months because they have now crammed a major upgrade down users' throats.  There was talk of users being able to opt for "classic Reddit" but with a date cutoff that I think has now passed.  A lot of features now don't work for me because my browser is too far out of date.  (I really ought to update it, but I have been dragging my feet because any version I upgrade to has to be compatible with the Tamper Data plugin, which I use to monitor Web traffic so I can design scripts for unattended downloading.  I can no longer use external applications like Wireshark or Fiddler to monitor my own Web traffic because HTTPS with HTST has become the standard for Web servers.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

RobbieL2415

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 11, 2019, 03:21:09 PM
Rant incoming.

The purpose of multiple thru lanes is to keep traffic moving.  In order to keep traffic moving, it helps to abide by common courtesy.

Being that you had to write a thread based on your interactions with others, you are clearly just trying to find people to agree with your position of "Fuck You All. I'm going to do what I feel like doing".
You're partially right. I was wanting to find people to agree but I never said go ahead and camp in the left lane.

The other reason was to clear up the misinformation that our state is keep right except to pass with no exceptions.

kphoger

It doesn't appear anyone has actually cited the appropriate legal reference.

The carve-out appears in Title 14, Chapter 248, Section 230(a)(4).

Sec. 14-230. Driving in right-hand lane. (a) Upon all highways, each vehicle, other than a vehicle described in subsection (c) of this section, shall be driven upon the right, except ... (4) on a highway divided into three or more marked lanes for traffic, ...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

I gave up on Reddit because of all the dumb minor post requirements ("your title must have a question mark"  or "this post must have a tl;dr summary" ) and having posts auto-flagged for deletion by bots if any aren't met.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jakeroot

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 12, 2019, 06:36:06 PM
I gave up on Reddit because of all the dumb minor post requirements ("your title must have a question mark"  or "this post must have a tl;dr summary" ) and having posts auto-flagged for deletion by bots if any aren't met.

Certainly it depends on the subreddit that one is browsing. The few that I use regularly (not naming them here -- NSFW, at all) do not have such stringent requirements. You have to provide flair on almost every subreddit that I've seen, but beyond that, just don't break the rules (like here).

I think there are more post rules on Reddit because of how many subreddits there are. They want a lot of structure...if you want something else, then make your own subreddit, basically.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.